Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Fresh from the mouth of the irked one..

2:20am.. I find that the bed alarm I'm using to alert me that my dad is getting out of bed somehow wasn't plugged in. This must of happened when i put on new sheets and straightened up his bed. Not only did he get up out of bed by himself but he walked to the bathroom without any aid and began the process.. I awoke to the light being on, a lite sleeper I am. So at 2:30 am he had to be changed head to toe from wetting his clothes which means I'm doing a load of laundry in the middle of the fricken night! Oh what fun.. This is only one of many daily irks I encounter throughout our day.. This one is solely on me..

I give up.. It shows its not posting so  I rewrite it and post it and bam the others are there.. I give up! Sorry for the multiple postings of this ranting lunatic..

Later this morning after the irking has subsided...Okay this morning I deleted the above duplicate postings.. 

Lesson learned here.. Do not post in the middle of the night while still being very irked. 

Edited by A modeler named mike
Added information

Mike you are far too hard on yourself. 

In regards to the post duplications it seems to run into cycles and isn't any type of user error.

As far as the bed alarm you just found out something to avoid doing. You might consider making a checklist of things to check to avoid this from happening in the future. You have taken on a herculean task being a caregiver for your father and things are going to get missed.

Finally although you had to deal with the inconvenience of doing laundry it still beats him getting severely hurt because of the alarm not sounding.

My prayers are with you.

51 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Mike you are far too hard on yourself. 

In regards to the post duplications it seems to run into cycles and isn't any type of user error.

As far as the bed alarm you just found out something to avoid doing. You might consider making a checklist of things to check to avoid this from happening in the future. You have taken on a herculean task being a caregiver for your father and things are going to get missed.

Finally although you had to deal with the inconvenience of doing laundry it still beats him getting severely hurt because of the alarm not sounding.

My prayers are with you.

When I first posted I thought I'd better reread it again to make sure I wasn't 🤔 to descriptive and that's when it all happened. My posting wasn't there so I went at it again and ditto. I felt as if I was in the Twilight Zone..😱 

I couldn't agree more about him being hurt vs laundry. I use list for everything thing, its what keeps me straight. So you are correct.. I need to make a bed time check list. Its so easy to become distracted and over look something as I apparently did.  Even though he doesn't get the fact he should not be up walking around freely due to his weak heart and feeble mind, it's maddening.

Funny thing is that the day before he had told me he needed to eat breakfast in bed, he couldn't get out of bed and walk because he had a broken leg..🙄 yet he tried to get up out of his easy-lift chair a few times later that day, miracle healing is what I'd call what he had. 

Thanks Bob for the prayers. As I have for you as you fight your ailments. Hopefully the lasix is still helping. Watch you don't go the the other direction and dehydrate. Getting old sucks! Anybody got a time machine they want to sell?

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

When I first posted I thought I'd better reread it again to make sure I wasn't 🤔 to descriptive and that's when it all happened. My posting wasn't there so I went at it again and ditto. I felt as if I was in the Twilight Zone..😱 

I couldn't agree more about him being hurt vs laundry. I use list for everything thing, its what keeps me straight. So you are correct.. I need to make a bed time check list. Its so easy to become distracted and over look something as I apparently did.  Even though he doesn't get the fact he should not be up walking around freely due to his weak heart and feeble mind, it's maddening.

Funny thing is that the day before he had told me he needed to eat breakfast in bed, he couldn't get out of bed and walk because he had a broken leg..🙄 yet he tried to get up out of his easy-lift chair a few times later that day, miracle healing is what I'd call what he had. 

Thanks Bob for the prayers. As I have for you as you fight your ailments. Hopefully the lasix is still helping. Watch you don't go the the other direction and dehydrate. Getting old sucks! Anybody got a time machine they want to sell?

Well I thought I had a bad day because I tried to open the window to put the exhaust for the paint booth out so I could prime parts but it's frozen shut. Hit zero last night. You are in my prayers Mike. 

23 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Not so much an irk as an observation about a petty annoyance.

The forecast low this PM is 10 deg F...the coldest it's been since I first moved to this area way back in 1969.

Not really a problem, as I've lived in the Northeast and Midwest, and know how to deal with cold.

The "irk" is that the 1930s-built house I'm in, originally built as a railroad crew-change bunkhouse, has for all intents and purposes zero insulation.

And when it's this cold outside, I can't get it any warmer than 55 deg F inside in the daytime, 40s at night. Brrrrrr.   

My sisters house had terrible heating and they installed a wood burning stove. In that room it would be so hot and the rest was freezing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

Mike, dont be hard on yourself. Its just part and parcel of the job you're doing and no matter how many lists you have, it will probably happen again. There were times with my gran that i was just so exhausted i slept throught the alarms. luckily it was loud enough other folk heard but it happened more than once. If we weren't supposed to make mistakes they wouldn't put erasers on pencils

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Mike, dont be hard on yourself. Its just part and parcel of the job you're doing and no matter how many lists you have, it will probably happen again. There were times with my gran that i was just so exhausted i slept throught the alarms. luckily it was loud enough other folk heard but it happened more than once. If we weren't supposed to make mistakes they wouldn't put erasers on pencils

👍 I like that.. Erasers on pencils..

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

My house has two furnaces and even if I keep both at 68, some rooms are warmer or colder than others.  My office gets really warm as does the bathrooms, my bed room and hobby room each on the cooler side.  

Do you also have two Thermostats?  Where thew Thermostats are located in the house also makes a difference. Maybe consider having a good HAVAC person check it out for you. Could also save you a little on the heating and A/C bills. 

1 minute ago, espo said:

Do you also have two Thermostats?  Where thew Thermostats are located in the house also makes a difference. Maybe consider having a good HAVAC person check it out for you. Could also save you a little on the heating and A/C bills. 

Two thermostats... two A/C systems also.  I had it all checked out before I moved in, ducts cleaned, etc.  May need more insulation in places.    The house is unusual, it is a 1950s vintage 1500 sq ft ranch that had a 1800 sq ft addition added in the 1990s by the previous owner.   So the original part has it's own HVAC and the addition has it's own.   

Just now, Rob Hall said:

Two thermostats... two A/C systems also.  I had it all checked out before I moved in, ducts cleaned, etc.  May need more insulation in places.    The house is unusual, it is a 1950s vintage 1500 sq ft ranch that had a 1800 sq ft addition added in the 1990s by the previous owner.   So the original part has it's own HVAC and the addition has it's own.   

I'll bet the problem can be traced back to that addition. Often times when additions are added to existing structures the HVAC systems are not always integrated as they should be. I would still look into having a professional HVAC person look into it, as it might be nothing more than the location of the thermostats. Has to be a frustrating issue at this time of the year.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, espo said:

I'll bet the problem can be traced back to that addition. Often times when additions are added to existing structures the HVAC systems are not always integrated as they should be. I would still look into having a professional HVAC person look into it, as it might be nothing more than the location of the thermostats. Has to be a frustrating issue at this time of the year.  

True about the thermostat location. Moved mine approximately 8 foot down the end of the hallway so it would read and regulate the temp more evenly. It was on the wall where the sun could hit it causing the bedrooms to be colder.

15 minutes ago, espo said:

Yeah, as far as I know they really aren't integrated at all..separate duct work, etc... 3 of the bedrooms and the finished attic are on the addition HVAC, the primary bedroom, home office, bathrooms and rest of the house are on the primary HVAC.   No basement (i think there is an inaccessible crawlspace under the addition).   Strange but it works. 

On 1/20/2024 at 4:43 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

The "irk" is that the 1930s-built house I'm in, originally built as a railroad crew-change bunkhouse, has for all intents and purposes zero insulation.

I completely understand the "zero insulation" issue. I am living in the house my father had built in 1963. At that time full insulation would have cost an additional $800, the cost of  building the house was $18,000. My father, having lived in noninsulated houses his whole life decided the extra cost was unnecessary. After my parents passed and I got the house, I had as much of the house insulated as possible. However, the den, dining room, and kitchen are all one area and lined with 6" tongue and groove pine paneling, there is no way to insulate behind that. The other parts of the house are drywall which is simple to insulate: cut a hole in the drywall, blow in the insulation, patch the hole. I did not want to destroy the original paneling, so there is a noticeable difference in temperature in the different parts of my house.

It's interesting the spam emails are ramping up again. It was quiet during the holidays. And I just stick to my usual sites.

A western union moneygram spam and 3 for women who want a relationship. Sad thing is there are people who get conned by these bottom feeders.

• Like 1

Canada Post! Somebody needs to arrest that band of thieves. Received a package from the U.S. and the postal employee came to the door not just to deliver the package but to also collect taxes equivalent to if the goods had been purchased in Canada. I get it, that's the way things are heading but Canada Post also charges a $9.95 service fee for them to collect the taxes. When there's Duty owing you get a heads up and an opportunity to pay on line ahead of the delivery avoiding a fee but apparently not for taxes.

Edited by imarriedawitch
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

lost my fav scriber and even after pulling everything off the model room floor, and completely clearing the bench theres no sign of it. on the plus side my model room is much tidier than its been for a long time but i still aint found my scriber

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

lost my fav scriber and even after pulling everything off the model room floor, and completely clearing the bench theres no sign of it. on the plus side my model room is much tidier than its been for a long time but i still aint found my scriber

Hmmmmm...Mandela effect?

• Like 1

So I am not going to name the vendor, but had something happen to me that irked me. Was on an aftermarket website last fall and was interested in an item listed but said it was out of stock, add your email to notify you when it's back in stock. No way to pre-order it as that isn't their policy. No worries, kept checking to see if it was back in stock periodically as there was a bunch of other stuff I was wanting to order. Fast forward to this past Saturday when I got an email stating the said item was back in stock. It had a link to the website to check but I didn't see the email until yesterday as I spent half the day Saturday at the ER (long story) and didn't get back to the 'puter until yesterday. I went to check on the item and it showed "sold out" and a disclaimer saying that once it was sold out, there would be no more of them made. I emailed them and asked what gives and basically was told "Sorry, we sold out fast". Now they admitted that there was a large list of interested people that they emailed but didn't think they would sell out that fast. I'd think that if you had a large number of inquiries that it tells you people want it and maybe that is the number you make, or something close to it, no? 

Oh well, guess business is so good that they can have that attitude towards it, but so can I. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:44 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Some people just seem to ruin everything they touch, and never seem to notice...while thinking their efforts are primo-top-notch-something-to-be-proud-of.

How does one go through life with functioning eyes and still be blind?

On a related note...

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1