Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

13 hours ago, slusher said:

They put me to sleep to pull it I had no choice.  The roots went in my sinus cavity.  My face is stil swelled and  I was givin no pain pills I was put in the car half out.   The whole thing from when I went back to being put in the car 30 minutes.  I am still hurting..

They should have ordered a non-refill prescription for something to help with the pain. That is the way my Dentist did it and I wasn't even knocked out. 

Loctite superglue...

For once after 16months i finally hade some time to build and I decided to do an a&n models cummins engine and apparently loctite superglue goes bad if not used for a while... nothing i glued stayed on and the engine disasembled itself as soon as i tried to put another part on... gave up on that project and put everything back...

Any suggestions for a superglue that does not go bad if it is unused for months/years?

29 minutes ago, PierreR89 said:

Any suggestions for a superglue that does not go bad if it is unused for months/years?

No. Once it's opened, it's going away.

I've found the Loctite Ultra Gel Control lasts longer than most others, but I recently had to get new after not using an opened container for 2 years.

Oh, the humanity.

1 hour ago, PierreR89 said:

Loctite superglue...

For once after 16months i finally hade some time to build and I decided to do an a&n models cummins engine and apparently loctite superglue goes bad if not used for a while... nothing i glued stayed on and the engine disasembled itself as soon as i tried to put another part on... gave up on that project and put everything back...

use the pound/dollar/euro shop cheap stuff. it doesn't last any longer but you get 5 in a pack so it matters less if it goes bad cos you have another. if its gorilla brand its garbage before you even open it

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've found the Loctite Ultra Gel Control lasts longer than most others, but I recently had to get new after not using an opened container for 2 years.

Oh, the humanity.

its interesting how you guys say gone away while on this side of the pond we say gone off. we would describe dairy as having gone away but not glues or paints

The trailer that I got from E Bay has been bounced around post offices in and around the Boston Metro Area since Saturday night courtesy of the USPS. I was suppose to have gotten it today. Now, the :"Estimated" day of arrival according to the tracking number that was provided by the seller is Wednesday. I informed him on what's going on in case he asks on why no feedback was left. I told him it was no fault of his own. He understood. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by John M.

On 2/26/2024 at 3:02 PM, PierreR89 said:

Doesn't exist.  Moisture in the air causes it to slowly start setting.  The thinner the CA is, the faster it will thicken.  Some people put it in refrigerator to extend the life (because air is dry in there), but I have a way to extend its life, but it takes work.  When I buy a new bottle I don't cut off the tip of the spout.  I have another older empty clean bottle where the tip is opened.  I pour just enough of the glue in that empty bottle to last me for a month or two.  Then I make sure the seal of the original bottle is clean and I reseal it quickly.  I also plug up the tip of the in-use bottle with a piece of wire tightly sitting in the hole.  When needed I dispense the CA from the 2nd bottle into a small depression in a dental mixing cup and reseal the 2nd bottle.  I then apply the glue using a forked needle applicator.  No, I don't use large quantities and what I do to extend its life I suspect is way too much bother for most modelers, but it works for me.

CA_Glue_applicatiors02.jpg

Using this system I often get few years of usable CA glue from the single bottle. As you can see, I also put a date code on my bottles so I know how old it is. Yes, I'm "different".   But it eventually every CA thickens up.  It is best to buy smaller bottles, even if they cost more per ounce than larger bottles.  If you buy larger bottle, you'll end up tossing half of the glue you paid for anyway.

Also, no glue remains usable forever. I have some really tightly capped old Testors orange tube cement and the tubes are hard as a rock. I need to toss them.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

TinyLimp is the object of my wrath today.

Last 10 times it updated, it saved all the open tabs in both browsers I was running, so going back to work was relatively seamless. It changed a few settings, but no biggie to change them all back.

This time it dumped every single open tab.

I guess the people who write the update protocols don't ever actually USE the silly pilly willy stupid, third-rate, exercise-in-mediocrity product.

It's not a big deal, as I'd saved all the addresses of everything I really needed easy access to, but in general, it's a sloppy way to do business.

Yes, I know...use another operating system bla bla bla. But that's NOT the point.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

4 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

TinyLimp is the object of my wrath today.

Last 10 times it updated, it saved all the open tabs in both browsers I was running, so going back to work was relatively seamless. It changed a few settings, but no biggie to change them all back.

This time it dumped every single open tab.

I guess the people who write the update protocols don't ever actually USE the silly pilly willy product.

It's not a big deal, as I'd saved all the addresses of everything I really needed easy access to, but in general, it's a sloppy way to do business.

Yes, I know...use another operating system bla bla bla. But that's NOT the point.

In my browser under the "Go" menu I have an option to  "restore previous session" which would bring all those tabs back if for some reason the browser comes back empty.

I also have an option to "bookmark this group of tabs" which saves all the current tabs as a bookmark and will restore back to the original layout if I so choose.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:34 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Oh, the humanity.

Now that you say it i have heard it before but apparently forgot that 

On 2/26/2024 at 10:30 PM, stitchdup said:

use the pound/dollar/euro shop cheap stuff. it doesn't last any longer but you get 5 in a pack so it matters less if it goes bad cos you have another. if its gorilla brand its garbage before you even open it

I found a new unopened i tried yesterday and it worked better but still not as i remembered it should have worked. Guess i need to throw out the remaining unopend tubes that are almost 2 years old.. buying new is useless for me now that I dont know when I will have time to build again 

Got another stupid giant owl making all kinds of racket while my entire neighborhood is trying to sleep.🤬This thing must be enormous,cause it is so L🤯UD,hootin,screeching,doing his thing,probably trying hook up with some lady owl.🙄I know most owls screech,but there is an owl called the Northeastern Screech owl,or something like that.They’re nocturnal like most owls,they hoot like most owls do,and I read that they are very common here on LI.I’m hoping this thing flys away somewhere pretty far soon..

Attorneys.. I contacted the attorney who wrote my dads last will and testament 4 days ago to have the copy of his Wil sent over to the Registry of Wills to be officiated so I can get things moving. Its literally 2 blocks away from the law offices, what the H€!!. After calling daily this morning I'm told it will be delivered today, Friday. So 7 days total will have passed before I can go get my letter of Authority.. SAD..

Ok,please,somebody has to stop all these disgusting “ Lume” ads.If you have never seen the commercials,it’s really pretty gross,in theory.Its said to be some sort of super anti BO cream,and it’s supposed to control BO,both in women,and now men,wherever it is on your body,for up to 72+ hours w/o bathing..The woman in the ad,the inventor,some OBYGN,literally seems to be “thrilled” on describing all the disgusting notions of our own body oder,in great detail,while shoving it in our faces without warning.I really think if this woman could reach through the television,and shove her fingers down your throat and make you puke, I have zero doubt she'd do it without hesitation.🤮🤮

IMG_9900.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ok,please,somebody has to stop all these disgusting “ Lume” ads.If you have never seen the commercials,it’s really pretty gross,in theory.Its said to be some sort of super anti BO cream,and it’s supposed to control BO,both in women,and now men,wherever it is on your body,for up to 72+ hours w/o bathing..The woman in the ad,the inventor,some OBYGN,literally seems to be “thrilled” on describing all the disgusting notions of our own body oder,in great detail,while shoving it in our faces without warning.I really think if this woman could reach through the television,and shove her fingers down your throat and make you puke, I have zero doubt she'd do it without hesitation.🤮🤮

IMG_9900.jpeg

I have noticed that several other companies advertising on TV that their products to do much the same thing as Lume. I can still afford a daily shower, so I think I'll stay with that myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

...I really think if this woman could reach through the television,and shove her fingers down your throat and make you puke, I have zero doubt she'd do it without hesitation...

Looks like Susan Wojcicki has a new career...

image.png.bbe49b3a3719d031f9fad3fca3b5e897.png   image.png.22d17b0c689c76c173c790c7212d2f7f.png

I sometimes think it's because I'm getting older that so many commercials annoy the "cow pie" out of me but then I realize it's the new way they make them. In your face ones like this woman, all these fat happy singing dancing people with moderate to severe illnesses that a miracle pill will supposedly make you better. On and on.

I'm pretty good about ignoring commercials but somehow they STILL get me worked up. It doesn't help that they're shown over and over and over again.

• Like 2

Went to open my laptop and the hinge that holds the screen detached from the plastic backpiece. Had to use needlenose pliers to unfold the hinge so it didn't break the screen. Lovely. 

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

I sometimes think it's because I'm getting older that so many commercials annoy the "cow pie" out of me but then I realize it's the new way they make them. In your face ones like this woman, all these fat happy singing dancing people with moderate to severe illnesses that a miracle pill will supposedly make you better. On and on.

I'm pretty good about ignoring commercials but somehow they STILL get me worked up. It doesn't help that they're shown over and over and over again.

Until you read all of the side effects at the end of the commercial, or can manage to listen to the rapid-fire vocal delivery of same.  No thanks, I'll live with the headache for an hour or two, it'll probably subside...

• Like 3

On 2/26/2024 at 7:47 AM, A modeler named mike said:

That's just not right.. I know they don't like prescribing pain meds due to the addiction factors but for Pete's sake what you had done definitely warrants having them prescribed.. Sorry buddy but I'd be reaching out to them and demanding something for pain relief. 

The wife had a surgery right after Thanksgiving which entailed cutting out a part of her skull so they gave her the serious pain meds.  Walgreens pushed me to get the Narcan Rx the Dr wrote for too.  She is a nurse and worked many years in the ER.  Don't have to worry about her OD'ing or abusing it.

I went to a dermatologist for some psoriasis on my knee. They give you the full body check and I had this little mole  in my mustache.  She did a biopsy and it was a basal cell precancer thingie. I had surgery where they cut open a  part of the right side of my face down to my lip.  I was knocked out for this and released same day.  The first two weeks I wasn't allowed to chew or use my lip.  I survived on pasta with meat sauce and macaroni.  I lost 10 pounds. Three weeks later the "skin flap" is pretty much healed but the skin is still swollen thick, numb and is either tingly or throbbing.  Lotsa pain and I slept on my back on the couch so I couldn't accidently roll over onto my cheek in my sleep. And no hair is growing there so I don't know if I can have a mustache again!   

• Sad 2