Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Tim Boyd hasn't posted his detroit autorama pics yet. I always look forward to his coverage as he seems to be more open to designs that are outside the norm. The magazines/blogs all show the same 6 cars over and over again while Tim shows everything, good or bad

• Like 1

Self-righteous hypocrites who suffer from poor reading comprehension (and are blissfully unaware of same), and who can't follow a logical train of thought always raise my ire...and I need to work on how much I allow them to affect me, 'cause they'll never change no matter how frustrated I get trying to deal with them.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

I've said it before, but this thread irks me.

The fact that it has twice as many posts and almost twice the views of the "what pleased you today" thread.

I guess people find it easier to find things to complain about than to find things to be grateful for..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

I've said it before, but this thread irks me.

The fact that it has twice as many posts and almost twice the views of the "what pleased you today" thread.

I guess people find it easier to find things to complain about than to find things to be grateful for..

Maybe, someday, if you ever find a large part of your professional life...FOR WHICH YOU DON'T GET PAID A SALARY...to be occupied following up on, repairing, or just flat DOING OTHER PEOPLE'S JOBS SO YOU CAN DO YOUR OWN...maybe you'll understand.

I don't go through life mindlessly screwing things for other people. But a lot of other people DO.

And I personally post fairly regularly things I AM INDEED GRATEFUL FOR...VERY grateful...but they're the same basic things day-in, day-out and don't need constant repeating.

All the irks I post are NEW, invariably caused by the stupidity, willful-ignorance, laziness, irresponsibility, or incompetence of others, and I believe that's the case with the majority on this thread.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

I think it's been pointed out before that people tend to complain more in general than say something went well for them. I believe we hope that someone will chime in on our "irks" so we feel that it's not just our own personal experience. Maybe we'll feel a little better that someone else is mad too. 😁

• Like 3

At the risk of getting hammered for bad-mouthing the PO again...I have two shipments MIA from two sellers several states apart, both showing the PO hasn't yet received them (though tracking numbers were issued on Feb. 26 and 28).

Both vendors insist they dropped them at the respective POs the day the tracking numbers were issued, but neither item has yet been scanned into the system anywhere.

I DEPEND on the PO for my business, as many of the items I use building cars aren't the sort of things I'd normally stock, and I plan my work, usually ordering what I know I'll need a couple weeks in advance JUST TO AVOID GETTING HUNG UP LIKE THIS.

If nothing happens on these by the 6th, I'll have no option but to put in for refunds and try to source NECESSARY replacements elsewhere.

As I said before, I DON'T get a salary. My income depends on what I produce, and I can't produce effectively if the PO keeps dropping the ball...which is becoming a regular occurance. 

• Like 1

Another irk is overpaid celebrities and sports personalities often referred to as 'heroes' that are oh so full of their own self importance and would be utterly useless in a real crisis when the chips are down !

• Like 11

On 3/4/2024 at 11:32 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Dan, that is well known and proven fact.  Humans are much likely to complain rather than to praise.

16 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Another irk is overpaid celebrities and sports personalities often referred to as 'heroes' that are oh so full of their own self importance and would be utterly useless in a real crisis when the chips are down !

I pretty much stated the same sentiment earlier in this very long thread.  We should be praising people who truly deserve it (and also are usually underpaid).  Police, Fire Fighters, Paramedics and other similar professionals who put their own lives in danger to help out others in peril.

• Like 3

I deleted my above post as I had written it in a way that made it easy to misinterpret so let me try again.

I have a part time job that is normally low stress and not too physically demanding and is quite enjoyable except for one coworker who tries to belittle me in front of others because I am actually good at my job. They have gone as far as bringing their personal friends into the picture to try and intimidate me. Going to HR is not going to solve anything because they are female and a single mom. The company will in all likelihood take their side in the matter. i don't really need this job but I enjoy doing it and I get a big discount on auto parts from them. 

I hate people. Rant over.

Edited by oldscool
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, oldscool said:

Going to HR is not going to solve anything because they are female and a single mom. The company will in all likelihood take their side in the matter. i don't really need this job but I enjoy doing it and I get a big discount on auto parts from them. 

I hate people. Rant over.

How old are the single moms?  If they are anywhere near 40, tell them to enjoy their box of wine and their cat(s)...

• Haha 1

Gerald, the best way to deal with your co worker who tries to belittle you is next time they try it on ask that person ' Have you got an inferiority complex that makes you feel the need to belittle me as a result?' What they are doing is a form of bullying, and usually bullies are rank cowards and only pick on someone if they think they can get away with it. When faced off they generally back down. 

• Like 4

On 3/6/2024 at 1:34 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

Gerald, the best way to deal with your co worker who tries to belittle you is next time they try it on ask that person ' Have you got an inferiority complex that makes you feel the need to belittle me as a result?' What they are doing is a form of bullying, and usually bullies are rank cowards and only pick on someone if they think they can get away with it. When faced off they generally back down. 

I know how to deal with people like her. My irk is that I have to deal with it at all. This "single mother" is pushing 50 and her kids are old enough to be self supporting. She brings up the single mother thing any time she feels that her job is threatened.

Sounds like her kids are too darned lazy to bother getting a job !

Next time she starts playing the poor single mother card, give a Gallic shrug, turn your back, walk away.and just blank  her.    People like that cannot stand to be ignored.  Keep ignoring her and eventually she will give up when she realises it is having no effect.    Passive defiance !  That is how I would deal with it.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On 3/4/2024 at 11:32 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Agreed.  If someone went out of their way, especially at a store I get their name and e-mail home office.

When my Dad's dementia was ramping up, he had two walk away moments in one day.  The second (and final time), it was a warm spring evening and dad dressed is was almost winter and went for a walk....down the entrance ramp of a two lane highway!  Police called me and I went to go get him.  He was in the back of a squad car and I had a brief chat with the officers (the highway sits on the corporation line of two cities and there was a car from each city).  I explained what was going on, thanked them both of corralling him and took him home.  Next day, I sent a thank you to the Chief of both cities calling out what their officers did and took that 'protect and serve' beyond the norm.  The smaller neighboring town sent back an acknowledgement and his appreciation for taking the time to let him know.  He said he would pass it along as well as note it in her file.  My home town Chief sent back a 'thanks'.