Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

49 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

The text on that page states
We offer a complete headlamp re-silvering service and we can restore all types of headlamps even sealed beam units! But we can only do them if they are metal and not plastic and we can remove the metal part from its surroundings.

I know this is an "irk" post, but when I went to the mirror resurfacing website I saw this statement, "The actual silver part is a thin layer of elemental silver, which is what causes your mirror to reflect properly! When this wears down, your mirror won't reflect as well as it used to." Now I know this happens because I have a couple of older mirrors. However what struck me was the idea of some Hollyweird superstar looking into their mirror and deciding they have looked at their beauty so much it wore out their mirror.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

...However what struck me was the idea of some Hollyweird superstar looking into their mirror and deciding they have looked at their beauty so much it wore out their mirror.

One doesn't have to look far to find equally absurd beliefs and lack of understanding of physical reality.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peteski said:

The text on that page states
We offer a complete headlamp re-silvering service and we can restore all types of headlamps even sealed beam units! But we can only do them if they are metal and not plastic and we can remove the metal part from its surroundings.

I missed that line but the company on wheeler dealers definately did it on the plastic external trim, not on the lenses. i'm trying to find the episode

You can chrome plate plastic like you do metal car parts. They apply a conductive coating to the plastic before the first plating step. The electroplating process uses lots of toxic chemicals, and is probably why the EU banned it.

"Chrome" parts on plastic models are actually vacuum deposited aluminum with a clear overcoat. It doesn't use toxic chemicals, but does need high vacuum systems and plating chambers. This type of vacuum system is something of a black art, and difficult to maintain. It doesn't surprise me that nobody wants to pick up the mantle when people leave the business. It's hard. We have a similar contraction in the world of telescope mirrors. 

2 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

...It doesn't surprise me that nobody wants to pick up the mantle when people leave the business. It's hard. We have a similar contraction in the world of telescope mirrors. 

Kinda like fully competent non-CNC machinists, fabricators, body men, painters, mechanics...

Yup...any endeavor that's "hard" physically (translation: requires intelligence, talent, skill, precision, attention to detail, and a high degree of personal commitment to getting things right the first time) is going away.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:50 AM, FLHCAHZ said:

It's been a MONTH since I hit a deer and my car has been in the shop.  GM has no parts available to get to the dealer to fix it.  Its only 7 months old.... 

Took 6 months to get my van a fender and it was 2 years old..

On 3/22/2024 at 8:50 AM, FLHCAHZ said:

It's been a MONTH since I hit a deer and my car has been in the shop.  GM has no parts available to get to the dealer to fix it.  Its only 7 months old.... 

We're seeing more and more of that. Things that used to be easy to get are becoming harder and harder to even locate, and we're often forced to scour the country to get used parts for almost new cars. Then the insurance company will drag their feet, the only part available gets bought by somebody else, and the wait begins again while we look for another one.

This is NOT an UNUSUAL occurrence these days.

Yeah, tell me again about how much mo' better this high-techie world is.

I've been in the car biz for over 5 decades, and I've NEVER seen anything like the way it is now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Kinda like fully competent non-CNC machinists, fabricators, body men, painters, mechanics...

Yup...any endeavor that's "hard" physically (translation: requires intelligence, talent, skill, precision, attention to detail, and a high degree of personal commitment to getting things right the first time) is going away.

I'm going to disagree in this particular instance. I've seen high vacuum systems defeat some of the best people on the planet. 

12 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I'm going to disagree in this particular instance. I've seen high vacuum systems defeat some of the best people on the planet. 

Hardly my area of expertise, but it would appear to be a technology that's accessible to normal air-breathing humans who put their pants on one leg at a time. What one man can do, another equally capable and motivated man can do.

EDIT: But the trick today is finding capable and motivated men.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Hardly my area of expertise, but it would appear to be a technology that's accessible to normal air-breathing humans who put their pants on one leg at a time. What one man can do, another equally capable and motivated man can do.

As interesting as these two videos were it leaves me out of the equation, I put my pants on both legs at one time. 😆 

• Haha 2

Everytime I browse through the built model car section of EBay with no intention of buying, i get hit with offers of buying a car at a lower price than what the seller wants some I haven't even looked at. This weekend alone, I got with nine offers. I'm just deleting them as fast as they pop up. It's like dealing with used car salesmen who use high pressure sale tactics on anybody who is just walking past their lots. 

Edited by John M.

56 minutes ago, John M. said:

Everytime I browse through the built model car section of EBay with no intention of buying, i get hit with offers of buying a car at a lower price than what the seller wants some I haven't even looked at. This weekend alone, I got with nine offers. I'm just deleting them as fast as they pop up. It's like dealing with used car salesman who use high pressure sale tactics on anybody who is just walking past their lots. 

On eBay I only get offers from items that I hit the like button which places it on my watch list. I've gotten some pretty good deals with it.

I bought this can of primer from Canadian Tire the other day. Shook it for a couple of minutes and popped the lid off to find this.🤬 Someone must have previously returned it or test sprayed it in the store. It would not even spit for me. So…back to the store tomorrow.

IMG_1643.jpeg

IMG_1642.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/24/2024 at 5:34 PM, A modeler named mike said:

On eBay I only get offers from items that I hit the like button which places it on my watch list. I've gotten some pretty good deals with it.

From the seller side-- I have built in 20% into my prices to allow me to make offers.  I don't have the "Make Offer" on my listings because that is just guaranteeing you won't get full price.  I  do the "Send Offers" every morning, with all eBay allows.  I  discount it about 12% and I get a lot of purchases.  

eBay just started  Immediate offers, which can be set by sellers to automatically send the offer to everyone who looks at the listing, the moment they do so.  That one is unnerving, it felt like the seller was stalking me!  Until I learned it was just a bot.

On the buyer side-- If someone has the "Make Offer", I'd never just "Buy It Now". I always make an offer and save a few bucks. My offers aren't outrageous so many of them get accepted.  And if a seller doesn't have that, I will click the heart to watch the item... then I wait for an offer.  

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 7:57 PM, mchook said:

Yesterday...

I don't so much the cold or snow although too much snow can be irksome.

Freezing rain Ice storms on the other hand are always irksome++

We usually get several every winter here in the Eastern Ontario / South Western Quebec / upstate NY / along the St. Lawrence Valley seaway area but this Winter Mother Nature was kind to us and we hand only one small one of note. The previous couple of Winters were particularly hard and damaging in this area with much heavy wet snow and freeing rain. It was nice to have a Winter with a bit of reprieve.

I always remind myself that no matter how bad I think it is locally and I find it irksome, someone else, somewhere else is having a worse time of it than I.

cheers, Graham

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I always remind myself that no matter how bad I think it is locally and I find it irksome, someone else, somewhere else is having a worse time of it than I.

cheers, Graham

This holds so true! Today as I was woke by several messages stating the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore had collapsed when hit by a cargo ship that lost power..  That location is about a 30 to 40 min drive from me. 🙏 to all who were on that bridge as it when down and for those rescuers searching the waters.

Edited by A modeler named mike
  • Sad 1