Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, Mark said:

...Easy to say "dumb millennials" or something similar, but I'm not going to do that...

Back in 1995, my office assistant was also a licensed accountant. I sent her to the bank to deposit a check for $50,000 from the sale of a piece pf property. Couple days later, I check the balance on the account and it's $45,000 light. She had dropped a zero when she made out the slip, and the teller didn't catch it either. Needless to say, several people's heads were smoking when I got through with them that day.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:03 PM, Jim N said:

I am sorry to read of your situation.  These problems are never fun or inexpensive.  A co-worker of mine had his sewer line collapse.  They got him for about $20,000.00 when all was said and done. 

Years ago when we moved into our second house and funds were tight, the sewer backed up.  I called a service to unclog the sewer line, and after a half hour or so the guy came back with a big song and dance that he checked the line and the entire thing was collapsed down to the street. He was going to have to rip up my entire driveway (the pipe ran under it) and the cost would be over $10,000 which I didn't have.  I told him I needed to get a second opinion.

He told me it would take weeks for me to line up another contractor.  They just happened to have an opening on Monday if I signed here now.  Then he also told me that it was the law that he had to report it to the town, who would immediately come to my house and chase us of to a motel until repairs were completed. Once he made that threat I knew he was scamming me.

I called another service that came that afternoon.  They snaked out the line, no problem.  Then the guy showed me a tool I could buy he called a "pig" that goes on the end of your garden hose so I could do it myself.  And I did that every five years or so as long as I owned the house.

And contractors not returning calls is universal.  I knew a few small guys who wouldn't return calls if they were working on a job.  Then next week they were starving and scrounging for work.  They just couldn't understand the concept of scheduling work!

Edited by Tom Geiger

20 hours ago, Lizz62 said:

What irks me today is the same thing that irks me everyday, people don't know how to use an out door and an in door at a store. You go in on the right side you go out on the right side you don't go in the out door, or out the in door. And when you come out , don't hold the out door for me to go in!!!!!!!!

I have visited numerous countries that drive cars on the left side of the road. When people there meet an oncoming person on the sidewalk,  stairs, etc., they move to their left, like we move right here. Drives me crazy until I get used to it. :huh:

12 minutes ago, Rodent said:

I have visited numerous countries that drive cars on the left side of the road. When people there meet an oncoming person on the sidewalk,  stairs, etc., they move to their left, like we move right here. Drives me crazy until I get used to it. :huh:

The Disney secret book tells you that when you are at their parks and presented with two lines, always go LEFT because people are accustomed to going right.  The left line is always a shorter wait.  We tested it and it's true.

The other tidbit was when a park opens in the morning, go all the way to the back and work your way forward. You will have minimal lines because most people will enter the park and do the first thing they see.

Mark, how about the ones that CANNOT count your change back without the assistance of the cash register telling them?? Not long ago, I was in a store with a couple items at checkout. IIRC, the total bill came to something like $23.70. I handed the clerk a 20 dollar bill and a five. Right at that moment there was quick power outage for a second (thunderstorm), which wiped out the register in a flash. Now mind you his drawer was open, and yet he could not count back the change until I told him how much was due. ($1.30)

I blame a lot of that on the educational system that no longer teaches practical math for things like this, also with the advent of registers that compute the change, the retail industry probably no longer teaches anyone how to count change back from what was given to them.

So sad..................

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

the retail industry probably no longer teaches anyone how to count change back from what was given to them.

Way too late in the game if a store is required to teach a cashier basic math. I look at the positive aspects of this rampant and pervasive stupidity. It will be a breeze for me to pull off a Negan after society goes to hell in a handbasket. Nothing beats having a mindless throng of ignorant zombies at your beck and call.

It really throws them if you give them an amount so you don't end up with a ton of pennies back but do receive some silver.

As it's been pointed out here math is hard I guess. I worked retail for a bit as a young man and long before computerized POP systems, I managed just fine and I am somewhat math challenged at times. It doesn't require a degree in rocket surgery to count change.

Edited by Phirewriter

Back in the 60's when I worked the cash register I had to figure out the change myself and it was not rocket science as they taught that in public schools. I don't recall if it was grade school, or high school but we were taught about folding money and also coins and their values, and also how to make change.

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

It doesn't require a degree in rocket surgery to count change.

Well. it wouldn't seem that way if they didn't waste their parents' money on a degree in Fine Arts so they could end up as cashiers afterwards.

26 minutes ago, High octane said:

... I don't recall if it was grade school, or high school but we were taught about folding money and also coins and their values, and also how to make change.

Geez Louise. When I was 6, I knew if the guy on the ice-cream truck shorted me on change for a dollar. ;)

Hey, hey now!:P even though I didn't finish college (thanks ex-wife) I was going for an art degree. Still make money at it but is not my primary means for providing for myself. Was always into all things auto and motorcycle and that was a fallback when things went sideways in my life. Spent 20 some years as a neon artist and made decent money. I was always doing side jobs either painting cars and bikes or fine art/illustration.

Regardless of your degree I think often it comes down to desire and work ethic. Regardless of what I wanted to do I always did what I had to do in order to get by.

Seriously no offense taken. I have however encountered younger art school grads that think doing anything other than their chosen path is beneath them and put little effort in what they do to get by on the short term. 

Edited by Phirewriter

Yup! I don't recall how long I've been here but it's been awhile. When I signed up for this community I was still in the industry. Between EPA and municipal regulations plus the quick rise of overseas competition virtually destroyed the North American industry and my livelyhood with it. There's certainly neon shops around yet. In my area we had over a dozen companies that produced neon products for a variety of applications from commercial signs, architectural to custom made signs. Within 2 years we have only 2, one is doing well and the other will probably be gone by 2019. There's maybe 6 statewide that actually produce on site. I was able to work in the custom and art end of the industry since I can draw and design, oh and and spell correctly (you'd be amazed, well maybe not)

I still have all the equipment necessary to go back into it plus I've kept my hazmat certification current. The big issue is finding a shop with 440 plus the processing equipment can kill electronic systems if something overloads. The place I worked for had a shielded area. If leasing a shop, property owners that have no problems with hazardous materials (neon requires the use of mercury and phosphorus) Unfortunately I don't see it as a money maker for now. I am hoping in the future I'll be able to get out of the city and have a big enough shop where I can do all the projects I'm hoping to do before I go room temperature.

Perhaps if I find time to take some decent pictures I'll post some stuff in the art thread although most is not automotive related. I still have quite a few things I did for myself plus stuff people didn't pay for that I've kept.

Edited by Phirewriter

We have a shop, one shop, that specializes in that. Here in my area people tend to be, um, a bit conservative with their money and generally won't spend what it takes to do that kind of work. Many of the signs I have in my collection are from customers who even after being given a more than reasonable quote for repairs or the creation of a one off sign eventually refused to pay.

Many of the local communities around here are very restrictive when it comes to signage, some don't even allow for beer signs at drinking establishments showing at the street level much less using neon in the overall outdoor signage. One thing that almost had me rolling on the floor laughing are the idiot city planner and zoning fools who complain about the dangers of neon, with the mercury and phosphorus and all, yet probably have CFL bulbs all over their homes.

Neon gas glows red. All other colours use argon which glows blue, mercury makes it glow bright. All colours other than red (not a hard rule) are argon tubes with the phosphorus coating determining the final colour. So... Technically most neon signs are nothing more than fancy fluorescent lights. (CFL bulb)

As a matter of fact if I didn't want to explain what I did for a living to someone who wouldn't get it, I just told them I made light bulbs.

Edited by Phirewriter

wow , Mike , I also bent tubing for a living for 45 years , almost all in the commercial sign industry . Did a few artsy projects for myself and family , but that's about it . Since the introduction of LEDs , the neon biz has bottomed out , but there's still so much you can't do with the LEDs that is possible with neon . There's probably not half a dozen operating neon plants in the area now , I still have all of my equipment packed away . I use my vacuum pump to evacuate my resin casting tank . :D

Edited by oldnslow

Awesome! Been awhile since I've had contact with anyone else who did this kind of work. Lo and behold here on this board... I did neglect to mention LED's but by that time in my area it was just the final nail in the coffin.

I've been signed up to a couple of neon message boards that haven't had any activity for so long I've stopped checking them years ago.

Edited by Phirewriter

18 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

Yeah , we've ( here in Florida ) only got 3 more months before the heat starts to fade . :blink:

Sure, but you chose to live there. I'm in Northeast US - if I wanted tropical heat and humidity I would have moved to Florida.  I didn't sign up to have to deal with this unrelenting tropical weather in the Boston area!  You can have back, thank you!  :D

13 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

The weather. I do not like constant heat. Bring on fall, I'm done with you, summer.

Our local TV station's Chief Meteorologist (ROFL) drives me nuts.  She is so giggly it is almost sickening.  Anyway, we have just come through a very heavy rain system, here at the house we had over 7.5" in four days.  The temperatures averaged high 80's every day.  The rains have somewhat subsided and the temps are climbing back up into the low 90's with almost matching humidity.  Last night when she was doing the forecast, she made the comment "it is almost feeling summer-like again".  What the dickens is in her mind other than air?  Before the rains it was in the mid 90's and dry for over three weeks.  To me anything over 80 degrees is summer-like.