Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC/AMT '69 Barracuda?

Jantrix

Thanks for posting, Colby. I too find it a little odd they didn't include the Hemi heads, but I still wouldn't consider it a poor quality kit. I don't see any flawed workmanship, and it looks exactly like a 1969 Barracuda. Yes it has the promo based chassis per 1960s tech, but combined with the AMT 71 Duster, you could have a very accurate 1969 Barracuda. One of the things I like about these older designs is that it is very easy to change the stance, without a bunch or re-engineering. Plus they go together quickly and look good on the shelf. BTW, anybody know if the "Bacaruda" decal is a carryover from the original issue decal sheet? Hopefully an intentional miss-spelling.... If the lobby of the hobby gets any in, I'll burn a 40 percent coupon on one.

yes, Dave , I have the original decal sheet, and it has the same graphics. however, this new sheet has additional items like the CRAZY CUDA name, and a few extra product decals as well. some of the product decals, VALVOLINE, HURST, on the original sheet are a bit larger...best, the Ace....:D oh, yes, the  BACARUDA decal is from the original too...

Didn't the voice-over guy for the commercials pronounce it as "Baccaruda"?  Were I with Chrysler, I'd have told the ad agency to get someone who could pronounce it correctly...but then again, maybe the commercials got a positive reaction in spite of that...

Took a closer look at the photos posted - thanks MrBuick, looks like the custom grill is back on the chrome tree. I couldn't tell if there's clear lenses for it. I can't access my Cuda kits right now (at work) to see what the custom treatment for the taillight/ rear panel was but I do know they were the same in the '67 and '68 annual. I thought I had enough 2nd gen Cudas but I might have to pick one up since I am missing a '69 in my collection and at least it would fill a box art void. Glad to see it back!

Took a closer look at the photos posted - thanks MrBuick, looks like the custom grill is back on the chrome tree. I couldn't tell if there's clear lenses for it. I can't access my Cuda kits right now (at work) to see what the custom treatment for the taillight/ rear panel was but I do know they were the same in the '67 and '68 annual. I thought I had enough 2nd gen Cudas but I might have to pick one up since I am missing a '69 in my collection and at least it would fill a box art void. Glad to see it back!

There are clear lenses for the custom grille, and the tail light treatment comes in a non-plated piece that installs over the tail light...the light installs onto the body, then the trim piece installs on top of it.

Its crazy the cost of these new kits nowadays. Back in the day a kit would run you about $1.69.

I wait until they appear at Hobby Lobby then use a 40% off coupon.

I envy my American friends and model buddies, and wish I could pay your current prices. here in Canada with our weak dollar exchange the regular AMT/MPC releases are priced over 40.00 bucks plus 13 per cent tax on top.....can I move in with one of you,,,,,I promise I'd help do the dishes...lol...lol...:lol:......the Ace...........

I seem to recall that MPC never added the backup lights on the rear valance when they updated the tooling for the '69 model year, and they were never added afterwards on subsequent reissues, either.

Can you confirm if they've added them for this reissue, either engraved on the valance or (even better) separate parts on the chrome tree?  Not getting my hopes up, just curious.  If they bothered doing that, I just might pick one of these up, even though I have an Ertle era version.

I'll admit it's also nice that they've retooled the 5-spoke mags, at least there's now a realistic wheel option now (still get a chuckle every time I see those 6-lug "modular" eighties-style wheels in this kit.  I guess you can toss them in the parts box to try to use them on a truck at some point).

Edited by Robberbaron

I envy my American friends and model buddies, and wish I could pay your current prices. here in Canada with our weak dollar exchange the regular AMT/MPC releases are priced over 40.00 bucks plus 13 per cent tax on top.....can I move in with one of you,,,,,I promise I'd help do the dishes...lol...lol...:lol:......the Ace...........

Ace it's going to take more than doing dishes. You got to look good in a bikini too. ?

Stock or at least stock -ish option?

Yeah, you can build it completely stock.

I seem to recall that MPC never added the backup lights on the rear valance when they updated the tooling for the '69 model year, and they were never added afterwards on subsequent reissues, either.

Can you confirm if they've added them for this reissue, either engraved on the valance or (even better) separate parts on the chrome tree?  Not getting my hopes up, just curious.  If they bothered doing that, I just might pick one of these up, even though I have an Ertle era version.

I'll admit it's also nice that they've retooled the 5-spoke mags, at least there's now a realistic wheel option now (still get a chuckle every time I see those 6-lug "modular" eighties-style wheels in this kit.  I guess you can toss them in the parts box to try to use them on a truck at some point).

I'll check on that when I get home and let you know.

Funny, you mention that ! I have a four bedroom house , giant back yard and I'm dog friendly . Talk to me .........................

Nope...still no reverse lights. However, after looking closely at a 1:1, it seems like it'd be easy enough to scratch-build some or kit-bash something that'd look close enough. I consider myself much less skilled than most people here judging by the other builds I've seen, but I think even I could make something work pretty easily that'd look as good as anything they would have included.

Nope...still no reverse lights. However, after looking closely at a 1:1, it seems like it'd be easy enough to scratch-build some or kit-bash something that'd look close enough. I consider myself much less skilled than most people here judging by the other builds I've seen, but I think even I could make something work pretty easily that'd look as good as anything they would have included.

Thanks for confirming, Colby.  Kind of expected that.  I concur that it shouldn't be too hard to fab something up, just a matter of convenience.  I'd be willing to shell out some dinero to save myself some time, plus get those additional parts that weren't in the Ertl issue.

But since I'd still need to fab those lights with this new reissue, I think I'll pass.  Just as well, my buying budget is going to be stretched thin with all the other stuff that's in the pipeline from Round 2, Revell, and Moebius.

What is the deal; just the 383 engine and not enough parts for the HEMI too?

I had the '68 annual and I believe it came with a slant 6 as well. Where did that engine go?

Back in the 1970s, I bought the Miss Mighty Mopar. I figured that I could make another stock Barracuda. Seem like the body was 1/2 '68 and 1/2 '69. I remember different side marker lights. Maybe MPC did that to match the drag car.

What is the deal; just the 383 engine and not enough parts for the HEMI too?

I had the '68 annual and I believe it came with a slant 6 as well. Where did that engine go?

Back in the 1970s, I bought the Miss Mighty Mopar. I figured that I could make another stock Barracuda. Seem like the body was 1/2 '68 and 1/2 '69. I remember different side marker lights. Maybe MPC did that to match the drag car.

Did the '69 MPC kit come with a six? I know the AMT '65 and '66 did. But, I don't know about the MPC kits.