Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

that brings back some memories.  a buddy of mine in high school drove a Maverick.  his dad had bought 2 of them for about a grand, one of which was that same green (the other was light blue)   so my buddy was driving one and his step brother would occasionally drive the other.  one night senior year (2001) my buddy made the mistake of driving home drunk from a party.  the step brother had ended up parking in the driveway where by buddy usually parked.  a spot obstructed by a large hedge.  my buddy pulled into the driveway aiming for his usual parking spot and slammed into the back of the other Maverick.  shoved it into the garage door.  after his step mom was done murdering him, his dad sold both cars to fund replacing the garage door.

Edited by Suburban_Hooligan
  • Like 3

A real good day.  Went to the Sonoma Coast 60 miles north of San Francisco to look for whales (didn't see a spout).  But on the way and back-in order, a circa 1967 Rover 2000TC in dark green, Maserati Quattroporte in dark blue, Lamborghini Ursus in a mile deep dark metallic blue, newer Alfa Romeo Guilia in blue for the short time it was on the road before something broke, 1983-85 RHD Nissan Skyline red over black (JDM had to be grey market or very recently imported), a dirty green Bentley Mulsanne, and the piece de resistance-1956 Plymouth Suburban station wagon in two tone green and rust patina with a vintage luggage rack on top.  Good day for car watching.

2 hours ago, The Junkman said:

A real good day.  Went to the Sonoma Coast 60 miles north of San Francisco to look for whales (didn't see a spout).  But on the way and back-in order, a circa 1967 Rover 2000TC in dark green, Maserati Quattroporte in dark blue, Lamborghini Ursus in a mile deep dark metallic blue, newer Alfa Romeo Guilia in blue for the short time it was on the road before something broke, 1983-85 RHD Nissan Skyline red over black (JDM had to be grey market or very recently imported), a dirty green Bentley Mulsanne, and the piece de resistance-1956 Plymouth Suburban station wagon in two tone green and rust patina with a vintage luggage rack on top.  Good day for car watching.

All the exotics you've listed as seeing, and probably see those types of cars on the daily, and the high point of your day was an old station wagon! That's pretty cool...... Means you're a well-rounded car guy.   :D 

11 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

All the exotics you've listed as seeing, and probably see those types of cars on the daily, and the high point of your day was an old station wagon! That's pretty cool...... Means you're a well-rounded car guy.   :D 

Rarity and nostalgia.  Now if I could see a 1953 Ford Country Sedan (my family had one until the block cracked) I would feel complete.  AND I forgot to add that I came across a cherry 1964 Buick Riviera in black.  My problem is I almost always find these things on busy two lane country roads and we're going in opposite directions so no photographic proof.

Edited by The Junkman
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Caught this at the Red light yesterday. 

Screenshot_20240210-183428(1)~2.png

Don't take this wrong, this is a cool looking street rod. The colors made me think of the old Checker Cab colors that used to roam the streets of Chicago and New York. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Don't take this wrong, this is a cool looking street rod. The colors made me think of the old Checker Cab colors that used to roam the streets of Chicago and New York. 

Dave.. I Love the old checker cabs. I found this example online of a Chicago cab that would be worth the cab fare for a quick spin. 

Screenshot_20240211-142218(1).png

Edited by A modeler named mike
Correction
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, deuces wild said:

I've seen 4 er 5 of them in Michigan already this year....🙄

Some folks just can't wait....🙄

I worked with a guy in Monroe that road his bike all year one year. After a snow while at work he dumped his bike twice in the patking lot at work. He was a little stubborn. He said he was gping to do it and he did. He did drive his truck a few times after that snowy day. As soon as the roads were clear he was back on it. 

• Confused 1