Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

I was on the top deck in the front seats of a bust between Buckingham and Oxford and at some traffic lights we caught up with a Rolls Royce Cullinan, obviously with a private number plate. But even more interesting on the way home again around 2.45pm we caught up with a private plated Bentley Bentayga. Both I suppose higher priced than our 4 bed split level detached home!

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

"Original plates"???  Don't you have to pay every year for a sticker for the plate?  Over the years, many stickers wold be pretty thick.

Back in the days that we drove chariots, California issued new plates every 2 years.  Then they decided permanent plate and yearly stickers.  The plate on the Vega was issued about 1974-75, so its original.

28 minutes ago, espo said:

Any rust in the tail panel ?  Even in the dryer parts of California the area of the tail panel where the drains from the hatchback dump any runoff tend to rust.

I didn't see any but I was more amazed that the engine hadn't dissolved into GM tainted aluminum dust puddled under the car.  I see it about once every 6 months or so, I'll look closer next time.

6 minutes ago, The Junkman said:

I didn't see any but I was more amazed that the engine hadn't dissolved into GM tainted aluminum dust puddled under the car.  I see it about once every 6 months or so, I'll look closer next time.

As I have mentioned before, I was in the car business for most of my working life. I started with a Chevrolet dealer in '74. As part of my new employee indoctrination I was given the grand tour of the dealership and the Service department. One of the first things I noticed was a stack about three high and running along a wall was a bunch of create engines for Vegas. This was before they got smart and went for the old "Iron Duke" 4 cyl. that GM had to buy back from South America. 

6 minutes ago, espo said:

As I have mentioned before, I was in the car business for most of my working life. I started with a Chevrolet dealer in '74. As part of my new employee indoctrination I was given the grand tour of the dealership and the Service department. One of the first things I noticed was a stack about three high and running along a wall was a bunch of create engines for Vegas. This was before they got smart and went for the old "Iron Duke" 4 cyl. that GM had to buy back from South America. 

Ah, an Iron Duke engine swap would explain it.  But you have to admit that Vega's of any sort aren't exactly thick on the ground.  The 1970's-what a terrible time for autos-with the possible exception of Porsche Turbos so there's that.

Edited by The Junkman

1 minute ago, The Junkman said:

Ah, an Iron Duke engine swap would explain it.  But you have to admit that Vega's of any sort aren't exactly thick on the ground.

They were pretty well put together after the '74 models for the market they were in. But those cars along with the Pintos and others were considered "Throw away cars" at the time. The reason I asked about the tail panel is that I remember taking a 2 year old Vega to the Used Car Manager for a trade in bid one day and you could stand behind it and see what color the carpet in back was without opening the hatch. 

On 11/25/2021 at 5:40 AM, crazyjim said:

"Original plates"???  Don't you have to pay every year for a sticker for the plate?  Over the years, many stickers wold be pretty thick.

When you renew the registration every year you get a new sticker.

Every few years I peel the stack off.  A few years ago I saw a 68 Cougar at a show that had a 1/2" thick stack of year stickers on it.

On 11/13/2021 at 3:43 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Something very different. Went to an estate auction preview in Barstow, CA and checked out this very very rare Jeep FC van:

[...]

Built for the Marine Corps around '64-'65, it originally had a three-cylinder diesel engine - replaced by a Jeep (or Buick?) V6. The Military Jeep FC Registry lists only three others existing. Word got out about it - bids are up to $12,000 at the moment default_ohmy2.png.4ff82e20a0cf32fd2d84777e4c7c6b31.png.

Rest of the auction - with a lot more Jeeps - here:

https://bid.bidfastandlast.com/ui/auctions/69703

UPDATE: $old for 19,250.

That's more rare than a running Vega! 🤣  Amazing it sold for that much, but someone had to have it.

Warren, MA, yesterday.  What drew me to this site initially was the unusual truss bridge, and revisited the area to take some pictures of an old stone railroad bridge down the river, but trees screened that one from view.  While I was there this time around I saw no one around and got some pictures of the Buick.  Last time I was here, just a couple of weeks ago or so, it was still Autumnal in feel.  Yesterday it was very wintry.  Cold.

W Warren MA (2021)  IMG_1194 copy.jpg

W Warren MA (2021)  IMG_1200 copy.jpg

W Warren MA (2021)  IMG_1201 copy.jpg

W. Warren MA (2021)  IMG_1202 copy.jpg

W Warren MA (2021)  IMG_1190 copy.jpg

W Warren MA (2021)  IMG_1191 copy.jpg

W Warren MA (2021)  IMG_1193 copy.jpg

• Like 1