Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

Eh?

What are 'wraps'?

steve

Same stuff they use to decorate NASCAR racers. They are not painted anymore except for the base color. If you see a Eddie's Window Treatments van, that graphic is a wrap. When it's life as a work van is through, they remove the wrap leaving a plain white (usually) paint job which is better for resale.

Matte black wraps (not paint, usually) seem to be all the rage in recent years..seen quite a few cars ranging from Challengers, Mustangs, Raptors to Audi R8s and Merc sedans done this way. Other matte colors are also catching on.

Around here I see a lot of cars with matt rubber paint on them. They are painted but it is more like the wrapping in that it is not permanent and one does not flat the existing paint to put it on. Not sure how they put it on but you can take it of just like it was wrappingfoil. A guy I worked with had a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo XCIIIVIMCX (or whatever...) with matt black rubberpaint on top on the orginial silver paint. When I was going to sell it, he just removed the paint.

Around here I see a lot of cars with matt rubber paint on them. They are painted but it is more like the wrapping in that it is not permanent and one does not flat the existing paint to put it on. Not sure how they put it on but you can take it of just like it was wrappingfoil. A guy I worked with had a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo XCIIIVIMCX (or whatever...) with matt black rubberpaint on top on the orginial silver paint. When I was going to sell it, he just removed the paint.

That would be something called Plasti-dip.

Edited by lordairgtar

That would probably be this: https://www.duplicolor.com/products/customWrap/ . Never tried it or seen it used, but I saw it in the auto parts store this weekend.

I really like them old Divo trucks.

It's a Divco. I worked at a Dairy for a year. Those were used for the Home deliveries and were little changed from when I was a Kid and they loaded'em with Ice instead of having Roof Mounted "Ice Bars" to keep them Cold.

It's a Divco. I worked at a Dairy for a year. Those were used for the Home deliveries and were little changed from when I was a Kid and they loaded'em with Ice instead of having Roof Mounted "Ice Bars" to keep them Cold.

Stupid spell check. I fell in love with them when I 1st saw this prostreet Divco.

1939-Divco-Milk-Truck-white-custom-ma-2_

I just saw an ad in my local Craigs List for wrapping. The premise of the ad was the same as mentioned above, that you could do your individual thing and remove it before turning the leased car in. They showed the matte black roof and hood treatments as one of their samples.

And thinking about wraps... at work they have a make your own sandwich bar and they have the wrap shells. I usually make myself a wrap sub with all the Italian meats, shredded lettuce, hot peppers, onions and olives, finished off with creamy Italian dressing. One day the guy behind me was watching me make the sandwich and he exclaimed, "That looks sooo good! Wish I could make one like that!" so I gave it to him (he still had to weigh it and pay for it at the register) and made myself another one. Oh, my deli training has served me well in life.

And I love the old Divcos too! Back many years ago there was a comedy called Medicine Ball, about young doctors at a hospital. One of them lived in a Divco camper in the hospital parking lot. That would make a good model!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Someone makes or made a Divco in resin, IIRC.

I have an old Ron Cash resin version. I believe Jimmy Flintstone makes one now, maybe others. I have the Danbury MInt Borden's Divco, I think I'd rather find a broken one of those to build from. It's absolutely perfect!

I saw 2 stock Henry Js, a pro touring 69 Charger, an Elenore replica, a factory-5 cobra, 2 General Lee chargers, Rosco P. Coletrain's cop car, 2 different "ducks" (amphibious transport), an 86 Fiero GT, 55 chevy delray, 93 240sx convertible with red paint and a tan top. Probably saw a lot more, there are so many people cruising Branson, MO, its crazy.