Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

I think that's a Fiesta RS.

I saw a new Maserati today down by the U of O, one of these days I'll have to go down there and take some pics- the rich Asian students are all about displaying their economic clout, even if they can't drive, LOL.

Nope. 2009-ish Focus RS MKII. 300 hp 2.5 5-cylnder. Not sure how a Euro hot hatch with Mexican plates wound up at a hobby store in the Kapital of Kalifornia, but it was cool.

Nope. 2009-ish Focus RS MKII. 300 hp 2.5 5-cylnder. Not sure how a Euro hot hatch with Mexican plates wound up at a hobby store in the Kapital of Kalifornia, but it was cool.

Maybe a Mexican modeler who made a kit run to his nearest hobby shop? :D

It's interesting to see the Mexican market cars, some makes and models not imported or sold in the US, plus local variations of US cars. For instance, they used the model designation "Dart" on Kcars, as well as their Chrysler LeBarons were "Phantoms", no doubt because the name was already owned by some other company in the US. Also things like in the US they didn't produce a Valiant hardtop, but Mexico did, as well as some interesting Mustang / Capri mash ups.

Edited by Tom Geiger

My wife and I saw a new (14) BMW 320i that had been repainted matt black. It looked the same.

G

Matte black wraps (not paint, usually) seem to be all the rage in recent years..seen quite a few cars ranging from Challengers, Mustangs, Raptors to Audi R8s and Merc sedans done this way. Other matte colors are also catching on.

Edited by Rob Hall

There are wrapped ones here, GN's test cars. There was a Corvette-like car running around in a black & white paisley pattern this winter. Some are checker, others zebra, all black & white. Sometimes it seems like it isn't enough camouflage, so they stick bras on both ends. Of course, I never have a camera when I spot them.

There are wrapped ones here, GN's test cars. There was a Corvette-like car running around in a black & white paisley pattern this winter. Some are checker, others zebra, all black & white. Sometimes it seems like it isn't enough camouflage, so they stick bras on both ends. Of course, I never have a camera when I spot them.

Back when I lived in NJ and worked in NY state, I'd pass through Montvale, NJ every day. That's home to Mercedes, BMW, Mini and Volvo USA. We'd see masked cars all the time. Sometimes cars not imported to the USA and competitors like new Peugeots, all running NJ Manufacturers licenses plates. Montvale Police had at least two Mercedes patrol vehicles with "Courtesy of Mercedes Benz" lettered on the tail gates. Mercedes also had a lot of Smart cars tooling around, even before they were sold in the US, and including ones never sold here....

IMG_1927-vi.jpg

Target promotional vehicles

IMG_1929-vi.jpg

Sports model, one of the Mercedes employees took this one home a lot!

DSC00594-vi.jpg

NYC Marathon official vehicles

DSC00590-vi.jpg

IMG_1936-vi.jpg

Smart 4 door

This was in 2005 and none of these were US models, all Euro cars used for promotional purposes. All photos taken on the Mercedes headquarters parking lots.

http://public.fotki.com/ModelCitizen/11_car_reference_library/smart_cars/

Edited by Tom Geiger