Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

On 11/6/2023 at 3:04 PM, forthlin said:

Finally finished remodeling my Moms bathroom. The toilet leaked so I had to put in a new floor. toilet & linoleum in. What a job. 

You said a mouth full.. Not a fun job. I did many bathroom rehabs at my old job and a few for family members. Never easy, never fun but always thankful when it's done. I'm sure your mom appreciates having a handyman and a devoted son.. Rock on!

Got a call today from my auto mechanic that my '87 Mustang GT is done and ready to go.  Plan to go pick it up next week.  Looks good after 20+ years in storage--been thoroughly cleaned inside and out (original paint, 64k miles).  Went through it mechanically and replaced a lot of seals, gaskets, hoses, etc. 

Resized_123_1.JPG

Resized_IMG_20231110_081142288_HDR.JPG

IMG_20231110_081053922_HDR.JPG

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Got a call today from my auto mechanic that my '87 Mustang GT is done and ready to go.  Plan to go pick it up next week.  Looks good after 20+ years in storage--been thoroughly cleaned inside and out (original paint, 64k miles).  Went through it mechanically and replaced a lot of seals, gaskets, hoses, etc. 

Resized_123_1.JPG

Beautiful car Rob, I was 21 when those came out. I was making the minimum wage. Bet your glad you hung onto it…

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Resized_123_1.JPG

Sweet ride Rob!  Man I remember when you’d see those everywhere.  I’ve driven a few and always had a great time.  Have fun with that bad boy!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, atomicholiday said:

Sweet ride Rob!  Man I remember when you’d see those everywhere.  I’ve driven a few and always had a great time.  Have fun with that bad boy!

Yeah, they were everywhere when I was young... today if I see one, it's pretty ragged or modified.   Only 64k miles, but I had a lot of road trips in the 90s in mine... Ohio to Florida and back a couple times, Ohio to Boston and back, Michigan to Baltimore and back, moved from Michigan to Colorado in it, drove all over Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming in it... road trips to LA, etc.. My late father drove it occasionally when I was in college '88-92.  He loved it also.   Lots of good memories.

Except for about 6 months in 1997, it was never my daily driver..always my 2nd or 3rd car..had a Bronco II then a Bronco then first in a series of Grand Cherokees as my primary vehicle in the 90s. When I moved from Colorado Springs to Denver, I shipped it back to Ohio to the family farm..didn't want it sitting outside in the city.  It spent the next 20 years in my family farm barn, I would drive it 50-100 miles in the summer on visits until my mother died in 2016 and every thing went sideways w/ my older brother and I didn't visit the farm until after he died last year.   It was pretty grubby when I got out of the barn, but was running.. 

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

Things have been hectic at work for me in the last week but I got an unexpected day off today. The school that I normally do my runs out of closed because the heating system gave out but from what I know, the repairs aren't that extensive and class will resume on Thursday. I won't get paid for it so I'll use one of my personal days that I've accumulated. Meanwhile, it's back to working on my vintage AMT 61 Ford Convertible.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Bill, you make your own biscuit dough? Have you tried the Pilsbury buttermilk ones? They come in a blue bag, they're just frozen raw dough already shaped, even! They go really good with some molasses......   B)

I usually make everything from scratch on big-bird day and Christmas, but this year I just used the canned Pillsbury ones. Not great, but acceptable.

I'll have to look for the ones you recommend.  :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I usually make everything from scratch on big-bird day and Christmas, but this year I just used the canned Pillsbury ones. Not great, but acceptable.

I'll have to look for the ones you recommend.  :D

Yeah I'd like to know why Pillsbury doesn't make their original biscuits in a can anymore? Instead they come in a bag in the freezer section as TJ stated above. They do not have the exact same taste. I used the canned ones to make gravy and biscuits but the frozen bagged ones are not quite the same. So now I buy the Crescent rolls and reshape them into round biscuits. Taste the same as the original canned ones.

We still have leftovers from our Thanksgiving day meal from my daughters dinner and yesterday we had a second but belated Thanksgiving day meal at my Aunts. She had a dish I hadn't had before that was pretty good, cracker gravy.. 😋  

Don't worry Bill that you're out of Turkey and all the goodies that go along, It won't be long and you'll be having it again. That is unless you cook up another meat at Christmas.  

Edited by A modeler named mike
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

i can imagine all the british folk reading about biscuits wondering why your putting cookies in your roasts? When I worked as a chef we had some americans staying at the hotel that wanted biscuits and gravy. they were not happy with bisto and hobnobs.

I had to look up bisto and hobnobs because I hadn't heard that term before. I guess they were a bit Miffed.. Lol definitely not what they were expecting. If you ever want to try the American gravy for biscuits.. Two tablespoons of bacon or sausage grease heated in a iron skillet with two tablespoons of flour. Mix well and slowly add and stir in two cups of milk until its at the consistency that you prefer. As for the biscuits.. Don't use the hobnobs. 😉

2 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Don't worry Bill that you're out of Turkey and all the goodies that go along, It won't be long and you'll be having it again. That is unless you cook up another meat at Christmas.  

I used to do a goose for Christmas, but the beautiful farmers' market where I could get a fresh one closed several years ago.

It'll probably be another turkey, done a little differently, and sausage-cornbread stuffing, sweet potats...or maybe even a ham for a change.

Hmmmmm...ham sounds pretty good. Maybe sausage cornbread, roasted yams, collard greens...and redeye gravy.

After all, I'm still in the South, y'all.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I used to do a goose for Christmas, but the beautiful farmers' market where I could get a fresh one closed several years ago.

It'll probably be another turkey, done a little differently, and sausage-cornbread stuffing, sweet potats...or maybe even a ham for a change.

Hmmmmm...ham sounds pretty good. Maybe sausage cornbread, roasted yams, collard greens...and redeye gravy.

After all, I'm still in the South, y'all.  :D

It all sound so good! You can't beat southern cooking.. Last year my future son-in-law to be smoked a brisket instead of the traditional Turkey. Very tasty..not sure what's on the menu this year. But whatever it is I'm there with my belt loosened and mouth wide open. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

It all sound so good! You can't beat southern cooking.. Last year my future son-in-law to be smoked a brisket instead of the traditional Turkey. Very tasty..not sure what's on the menu this year. But whatever it is I'm there with my belt loosened and mouth wide open. 

Yeah, I gained 5 pounds in 4 days. Should be able to work it back off in a month though.  :D

13 minutes ago, slusher said:

Just finished my wife’s left overs last night with her. She made a turkey breast.  Loved it.  We both lost our mothers the same year 6months apart. But I am thankful for so much 3 years later.

Awesome attitude Carl.. Keep the faith strong and enjoy everyday as it arises. I lost my mom 11 1/2 years ago. I'm 63 and I miss my mom everyday. But some day I will see her again. Guaranteed!! I believe you and the misses will do the same with your moms.  🙏