Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

We had a huge artificial Christmas tree we hadn’t used in a long while. Since we live 100 miles west of family and friends, we just set up a table top tree and visit my daughters for the holidays.

My wife got in her head that we should throw out the tree! It had been in the basement for years so I don’t know why it needed to go right now!

I look at it and cannot bring myself to throwing away a perfectly good tree. I decide to put it for free in my local Next Door app. Easy enough, someone should cart it off and use it so I don’t feel guilty, and it’s gone so wife will be happy.

As anticipated nine people responded. The first one was a young woman. She wants it, great! The next day she informs me that her car has died. Can I hold it until next week?  No we need it gone!

My wife said to go in to the next person, but the girl sounded excited so I asked her if I could drop it off to her. I’m figuring this is a town app so how far can it be? And someone else did the same for me awhile back when I bought a cabinet from them and it wouldn’t fit in my car.

Turns out she lives about 20 minutes away. I figure I’m in it this deep already so okay. She is thrilled and offers me gas money which I decline. 

So Thursday morning I load this huge flimsy box into my car.. it nearly didn’t fit!  And drop it off on her front step. 

That night I get the nicest text that it had been a tough year for them and I really made her family’s Christmas!  That made me feel really good!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Finally got to bring my dad back home after a 6 day stay at the hospital. They were not able to determine the cause of bleeding but it did stop on its own. Never found his missing toiletries and the experience dealing with the hospital bed delivery guy and his incompetency all washed away as dad and I drove away and headed towards home. Pure pleasure having him home again! 

• Like 4

I've been dealing with emotions of passed parents since mom left 9/12.  I am blessed, that's what I should be pleased about, why am I moping around, and not engaging on this forum?  Instead of touching models, had to migrate my dad's collection, then I did this.  Found among really nice stuff, was this Sears & Roebuck .22 single shot rifle.  I don't know why dad had this, perhaps he was intrigued by how simple it is?  He was a gunsmith, one part of the art is to make stocks.  The stock had already been shortened with an axe.  So I played gunsmith late the other night with an aggressive rasp, and finished yesterday with an orbital sander.  The Watco oil is the funnest part of woodworking, the figure is fantastic, hidden under a stain varnish.  I can't keep anything box stock. 😆

• Like 2

19 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Finally got to bring my dad back home after a 6 day stay at the hospital. They were not able to determine the cause of bleeding but it did stop on its own. Never found his missing toiletries and the experience dealing with the hospital bed delivery guy and his incompetency all washed away as dad and I drove away and headed towards home. Pure pleasure having him home again! 

Great news. I take it the bed did delivered in time.

6 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Great news. I take it the bed did delivered in time.

Bed delivered on time? 😆.. The guy showed up 3 hours later after telling me he was not far and on his way. I kept my cool and bit my tongue. I've had enough BS stress and I didn't need to amp it up anymore. He's home now and that's all that matters to me. 

On 12/16/2023 at 9:49 PM, A modeler named mike said:

Super! Dad will be home for the holidays.   Although there are struggles, it worked out in the end!

I identify with your posts, I did the same with my dad only he was dying of cancer at 64.  Count your blessings that you have had your dad so long!  Holiday blessings to you and your dad!

5 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Super! Dad will be home for the holidays.   Although there are struggles, it worked out in the end!

I identify with your posts, I did the same with my dad only he was dying of cancer at 64.  Count your blessings that you have had your dad so long!  Holiday blessings to you and your dad!

Thank you Tom.. I feel it's a privilege to care for the man who not only raised me but also fought for our country during WW2 throughout Europe and at the battle of the bulge, which he and I joke that he's still fighting that fight but now it's at different  location, his belly. Dad is also a retired correction officer, talk about tough love..but that help keep on a straight and narrow path 🤔°° somewhat..lol we all do stupid things when we're young and dumb. He is also the longest living member of past family members. He always said he'd live to be 100. I'm doing my best to make that come true. What a mile stone that would be!  He also had prostate cancer back in the 80's and beat that with no relapses. Unfortunately he opted to have everything thing removed which lead to him being incontinent 😞. We wish you and your family and all here on this 👉 awesome 👈(for Bill, Ace-garageguy- lol) forum a very Merry and safe Holiday, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

89akurt, I know what you are going through. Both my parents passed this year. Dad died in March; Mom followed in July. A deep sadness comes over you, and it is ok to cry. It is part of the grieving process! May the Holy Spirit relieve you of your pain and replace it with God's love! God Bless!

Edited by paul alflen
Spelling error
  • Like 1

Actually a 4 days ago pleasing, too much going on that I forgot about it. That big old 60' silver Maple it gone from my back yard. No more worries about it falling on my house or the neighbors. I had my grandson stand by the trunk for a size comparison. The tree guy told me when they arrived there was a huge Hawk perched way up feasting on one of my squirrels..😞 

20231214_213859.jpg

20231214_213752.jpg

Edited by A modeler named mike
Added content

Somebody that I grew up with skateboarding and who is now photo editor (or at least was) at thrasher magazine has me mentioned as one of his influences. It doesn't mention me by name, but it mentions something i used to do that was pretty unique to me. I've not had any contact with him for more than 30 years but I'm seriously touched to be remembered for something 30 years ago. The fact that its one of the top positions in skateboarding he's in and he remembers me as an influence is really cool to me cos i was never that good, and people used to make fun of me for grabbing my board but now 30 years later I find out i've influenced somebody for something. I wasn't even searching for him when it popped up cos i gave up years ago after many near misses by days or even hours as he moved around the country

https://blog.slamcity.com/auteurs-ewan-bowman/

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Somebody that I grew up with skateboarding and who is now photo editor (or at least was) at thrasher magazine has me mentioned as one of his influences. It doesn't mention me by name, but it mentions something i used to do that was pretty unique to me. I've not had any contact with him for more than 30 years but I'm seriously touched to be remembered for something 30 years ago. The fact that its one of the top positions in skateboarding he's in and he remembers me as an influence is really cool to me cos i was never that good, and people used to make fun of me for grabbing my board but now 30 years later I find out i've influenced somebody for something. I wasn't even searching for him when it popped up cos i gave up years ago after many near misses by days or even hours as he moved around the country

https://blog.slamcity.com/auteurs-ewan-bowman/

Are you the guy that "popped an Ollie" right in front of him?

That's pretty awesome!

I had a skate phase back in the day. I was a BMX freestyle kid, mainly flatland stuff. That just kind of let me to skateboarding. Had my Zorlac board, had my Vision shoes, I was set. Was pretty good too. And then I discovered the guitar, and skating just kind of went away. I still wear skate shoes though. And all the old thrash bands we used to listen to while skating are still in fairly regular rotation. DRI, Suidical Tendencies, SNFU...ahh good times.

Had to replace a faucet in our main floor bathroom. I am not a plumber. But I did it, and it works, and nothing leaks, and I didn't break anything.

I did however curse up a storm, because I am 6'6" and not a scrawny 6'6", and I don't exactly fit well in the cabinet under the sink.

17 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Are you the guy that "popped an Ollie" right in front of him?

That's pretty awesome!

I had a skate phase back in the day. I was a BMX freestyle kid, mainly flatland stuff. That just kind of let me to skateboarding. Had my Zorlac board, had my Vision shoes, I was set. Was pretty good too. And then I discovered the guitar, and skating just kind of went away. I still wear skate shoes though. And all the old thrash bands we used to listen to while skating are still in fairly regular rotation. DRI, Suidical Tendencies, SNFU...ahh good times.

yeah that was me, but i grabbed the nose of the board cos i didn't know how to ollie. I guess people remember things differently after 30 years cos i'm still not a tourist either and was probably returning from a holiday as at that time stromness was the only harbour for passenger boats from the mainland. I still have my board nexr the door but i haven't been on it in years. the last time it moved was to move my freezer but i'll not get rid of it. Another of my friends from this time now plays bass for cradle of filth (dan firth), and yet another produces industrial music(eriktricity). Their famous in their own areas but i just see the guys i used to hide beer with when we were underage, as its not really a scene i know. if they were rappers it might be different cos i'd know the music

On 12/18/2023 at 11:16 PM, A modeler named mike said:

Stress? What's that?..lol as it always goes, another situation lays awaiting. 🤔°° it either makes one stronger or crawl into a ball and sit in the corner. 

Excellent...but you left out the third option: whining incessantly about how unimaginably stressful it is to pick up the dry cleaning, take the car in for an oil change, go to the grocery store, and pick up the kids at school to get them to soccer practice...OMG OMG OMG...ALL ON THE SAME DAY!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!

On 12/23/2023 at 5:29 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Excellent...but you left out the third option: whining incessantly about how unimaginably stressful it is to pick up the dry cleaning, take the car in for an oil change, go to the grocery store, and pick up the kids at school to get them to soccer practice...OMG OMG OMG...ALL ON THE SAME DAY!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Bill.. I wasn't aware of that option.. I've still much too learn. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

For all y'all that are like me, whose hands dry and crack during the winter, I've found a treatment.......... ChapStick! Just apply directly to where your hands are split, instant relief!

I've tried all kinds of remedies but never ChapStick. I've been using Neosporin pain relief ointment and two bandaids. One over the tip and another around the tip over tha last bandaid. I'll have a couple of fingers on average bandaided up during the cracking season. It used to be worse when I was working. I use to spray lacquer all day and the thinner would just suck the life out of your skin. I'll have to try your suggestion 🤞

you want neutrogena norwegian hand cream. it was all we used on the boat to prevent chapping on our hands. its less than 2 bucks a tube and i can happily recommend it. there are much more expensive versions but neutrogena is by far the best. It even works with salty air, and every person i know that works on fishing boats uses it so it must be good.

A couple things I penned while feeling the cheer. I'm no poet and I definitely know it.. Mike

Merry Christmas..What's this? No presents under the tree! Oh my I see Santa didn't show but that's ok. He didn't need to bring me anything on this day. For I had been given a gift that he could not match in anyway. A gift from one who's all in charge and sees that my needs are met no matter how small or large. One who's love is all year round and not just on one night from a bearded clown.

As I sat impatiently waiting for santa 😉 by the Christmas tree I had a sense of well-being that came over me. The lights giving off their welcoming glow and the pop corn string dancing from branch to branch reminds me of days long ago. A top sits an angel a bit worn and not as glamorous as once before. Underneath it all is gifts, all wrapped with love and care. And when you stand back and look at all that's there, you know only one thing! Christmas is here. To Everyone, a Merry Christmas!

A day late but I want to share. I wrote this Christmas Eve as dad and I sat in our chairs. Just listening to Christmas music and relishing in the fact that my dad is still here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I made and have received my first overseas model kit purchase. I was a bit apprehensive since getting burned in an overseas deal my wife thought was good, that's a story of its own. I was amazed at how fast the kit traveled from Japan to Maryland. Astonishing, ordered on Jan.2 and arrived today the 8th. That's faster than some kits I've ordered from the west coast. In fact the experience was so good I went ahead and order two other kits from Japan. All out of production AOSHIMA JDM Hot Rod kits.

Another pleasing came by way of a spaghetti casserole delivered for last night's dinner made by my aunt. I didn't have to cook and plenty of leftovers.