Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Two things; beautiful sunny morning, warmer by seventy degrees than two weeks ago at this time, and the honor of having the trust of the little chickadee that took seeds from my hand while I was refilling the feeders  B)

• Like 1

@mk11 When nature trust our presence it's a really cool and rewarding event. I've been hand feeding some of our backyard squirrels since they have gained my trust. Always the highlight of my days. The fact that a wild bird trusted you is a rare and special event.

Edited by A modeler named mike
Added information
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, espo said:

Saw the sun for the first time in over a week. Been overcast and foggy far too long. 

Sun would be nice...been a lot of snow, freezing rain, cloudy and foggy the last few weeks.  I can't complain too much, though...I've lived in several very sunny places, had more than enough for a lifetime..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

No rain in the forecast fer today, but it's been raining since 4 PM here. Love to see accuracy like that. Impressive.  :)

A number of years ago, we held a yard sale. The day before I kept checking every weather report I could and each and every one of them said sunny and not a drop of rain all day. So I didn't dig out any tarps or anything. Of course it started to rain. I said: "Don't worry all the weather forecasters said sunny all day so this is temporary.". After 15 minutes I was scrambling for tarps as there was no end in sight. It rained for over 2 hours. I was so mad. How could all of them miss a system that could dump that much rain?

6 hours ago, peter31a said:

A number of years ago, we held a yard sale. The day before I kept checking every weather report I could and each and every one of them said sunny and not a drop of rain all day. So I didn't dig out any tarps or anything. Of course it started to rain. I said: "Don't worry all the weather forecasters said sunny all day so this is temporary.". After 15 minutes I was scrambling for tarps as there was no end in sight. It rained for over 2 hours. I was so mad. How could all of them miss a system that could dump that much rain?

Sounds like the talking heads on our TV weather reports. They look at computer models and they have at least four to choose from. While this may be better than throwing darts at a dart board it still isn't any more accurate. In the old days past the tv weatherman would use pressure charts and recorded wind directions and weather fronts and their movements. They seemed far more accurate then. I have heard that the inside advises to tv weathermen before going in front of the cameras is to look out the window first. 

• Like 1

I was pleased to be told yesterday that, after an uncomfortable colonoscopy, there was no sign of any cancer or other unwanted issues. I have a CT scan coming up in a couple of weeks that, hopefully, will confirm there is nothing to worry about and it’s just, basically, down to wear and tear due to age.

All of this doesn’t cost me a penny, thanks to our wonderful National Health Service. For which I am eternally grateful.

steve

• Like 2

I come here with a pleasure although it ways heavy on my heart. My father of 98 1/2 yrs has passed after his 14 month battle with dementia. He went peacefully and will he missed. 🙏 

I thank you all who had well wishes and prayers that were sent my way throughout this sad journey... Mike

Edited by A modeler named mike

22 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

I come here with a pleasure although it ways heavy on my heart. My father of 98 1/2 yrs has passed after his 14 month battle with dementia. He went peacefully and will he missed. 🙏 

I thank you all who had well wishes and prayers that were sent my way throughout this sad journey... Mike

my condolences to you Mike, you can be comforted by the fact you were there when he needed you and he is no longer suffering from the confusion. Its sad to say but for those of us that have to deal with this, death is a kindness but it still hurts all the same, you done good sir

3 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Glen Campbell's last song (I'm not gonna miss you) is a narrative from a person himself who had Alzheimers.  Listen to it and it will tell you what you're dad no longer could.

It's especially hard when the child becomes the parent.  Time for you to decompress...he is at peace.

23 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

I dropped a few bombs myself this morning 😲.. Oh my bad, your talking nuclear. 

I hadn't intended to make a political inference.

Since I was a kid in the 1950s and we'd practice duck-and-cover under the desks at school, I've been aware there's always a chance looming in the background...no matter who the major players are.

It's not politics. It's reality, and another of the really good reasons to live in the moment as best you can, like every day might be your last, and treat people as you'd wish to be treated.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I hadn't intended to make a political inference.

Since I was a kid in the 1950s and we'd practice duck-and-cover under the desks at school, I've been aware there's always a chance looming in the background...no matter who the major players are.

It's not politics. It's reality, and another of the really good reasons to live in the moment as best you can, like every day might be your last, and treat people as you'd wish to be treated.

In the words of Metallica, Sad But True…

steve

• Like 1

One of the feral cats I feed apparently got in a bad fight a few months back, and was limping to the point it probably couldn't hunt for many weeks.

I'm happy to say it's moving around just fine now, and comes up on the porch every day to get breakfast. 

Still a little shy, but that's OK. 

Another one is completely tame now and really wants to be an indoor cat.

If I'm late feeding them in the morning, the tame one scratches and bumps on the door to remind me.

• Like 2