Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Thanks again, if I heard Dad right, she might end up back in the nursing home she had spent time in prior in the last couple years. It's a haul to get there compared to the hospital she is in right now (a whole 3 miles from home), but it too is a good place.

Understand what you are going thru, had to deal with my parents in their late stage, sometimes just felt like I wanted to pull my hair out.

• 2 weeks later...

Started a new job a month ago and one of the many benefits is that they are into motorsports, not a bad gig for a car guy like me. Was asked 10 days ago if I was able to help out hosting customers at the 4 Wide Nationals here in Charlotte. Aside from some sunburn and temporary hearing loss, it was a blast!

70 deg.F here, 27% humidity, blazing blue sky, gentle wind. Just like the best of SoCal or Az weather, but everything is green too. We only get a few days like this a year, but they sure do make you glad to be alive. Too bad the rest of the year the humidity is 95% and it's either too hot or too cold. Took a brisk hour walk early this AM, than ran most of my weekly errands, just got back in. Now I really should do several hours of billing paperwork, but choo know what? I'm not gonna do it. Too nice a day to be inside behind the dammed computer. Bye.  :D

You still considering a move to Arizona at some point Bill ? I seem to recall you were thinking about relocating. 104 here yesterday but about 74 here today. Quite a difference. Soon it will be 100 + every day for awhile. : )

Low 50s here in NE Ohio today..beautiful sunny spring day.   Was raining when I flew in from Phoenix last night.   Should be done with my move in a few weeks...looking forward to that 2000 mile drive in my new Jeep.    Apparently been a lot of rain here lately, got to get a yard service lined up this week. 

Edited by Rob Hall

Great to finally find a safe way to transfer money from a US to Euro bank account.  No hassles, the costs are minimal, like 1%.  Banks are a rip off, always have been, always will be.

Modern times can be deemed to be great too.

Got a text message a couple of hours ago that my oldest brother came through his surgery okay and is resting in his room. Probably going to be a long recovery but am thankful that the surgeons were able to do their magic. This is his second time dealing with cancer and I hope it's his last! Visited him this past weekend to boost his spirits and have a few laughs (and beers!) because it will be a few months before we can do that again.

Not today, but a few days ago, on the way to a medical appointment for my wife, dropped in the only hobby shop within 500 miles of here. Didn't buy anything but had a good long chat with the owner. She is looking at retiring and closing up too. Has sold the building already. One of the last, small mom & pop operations anywhere "near" here (150 miles).

Not today, but a few days ago, on the way to a medical appointment for my wife, dropped in the only hobby shop within 500 miles of here. Didn't buy anything but had a good long chat with the owner. She is looking at retiring and closing up too. Has sold the building already. One of the last, small mom & pop operations anywhere "near" here (150 miles).

IMG_5588.jpg

Sorry to hear that, however it has been the "sign of the times" for a number of years now. We have a mom & pop hobby shop 10 miles from here, and I make it a point to support them, otherwise if they should close the nearest hobby shops are 40 & 55 miles away. Back in the 50's & 60's hobby shops were plentiful, my how times have changed.

My new employer is involved in motorsports and specifically, has tickets to the races here in Charlotte. Two weeks ago it was the 4 wide nationals and my ears still are recovering but what a great time that was.

Today I received a package that has a bunch of tickets for the upcoming NASCAR races this month here in Charlotte and I get to hand them out to customers! Guess who will be making friends next week as I play Santa ? ME !

Sure looking forward to being the nice guy with goodies.

My new employer is involved in motorsports and specifically, has tickets to the races here in Charlotte. Two weeks ago it was the 4 wide nationals and my ears still are recovering but what a great time that was.

Today I received a package that has a bunch of tickets for the upcoming NASCAR races this month here in Charlotte and I get to hand them out to customers! Guess who will be making friends next week as I play Santa ? ME !

Sure looking forward to being the nice guy with goodies.

One, I wish I was your friend, two, I wish I was in the Charlotte/Concord area in the next two weeks.

A pair of gray catbirds have built a nest just outside one of my windows, and mombird has been sitting on eggs for about a week now. In about another week, there should be little birds. I'll be feeding the local feral cats very well for the next month or so, to try to give the kidbirds a better chance as they fledge and leave home, when they're most vulnerable to predators.

Gray catbirds are related to mockingbirds, and have a very interesting song. The mombird sometimes sings softly to herself as she sits on the nest, and she's come to accept and trust me watching her.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have a pair of robins that come back and nest on my house every year. One year they built the nest on a window sill, which gave us  a front row seat to watch the babies from egg to the day they hopped down the ground and ran for the undergrowth.  This year they are on top of one of my back yard spot lights. They are safe from cats as they are two stories high.  I can see them out a window.  Let's just say that area of my yard will be dark at night this season.  I don't want to fry the baby robins!

• 2 weeks later...

Writing the letter of resignation that I've needed to write for the last six months, but circumstances prevented it.

I'm not immediately transitioning into a new job, per se, but I have some applications out, and a few more going out. One of my customers is retiring from his job, and I might be able to pick up some of his work, at least for the summer, maybe a bit longer if I need to, running in and out of Logan.

The letter hasn't gone in yet, but it will most likely be tomorrow or Tuesday.

Dad said it was the best letter of resignation he had ever seen, enumerating all my concerns and all my grievances, and not showing one sign of bitterness. I have to say, I was rather pleased with it, myself.

The simple act of writing it and having it ready to turn in has actually made me feel better.

Charlie Larkin