Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

BIG NEWS !!! 

The store-brand ziplock sandwich bags I favor have been redesigned to be big enough to actually accommodate a sandwich !!! 

Will wonders never cease ???

Hmmm, that all depends on the size of the sandwich doesn't it. You do remember Dagwood Bumstead from the Blondie comics and the size of the sandwiches he made don't you???

I'd leave my wife and kids Christmas morning for Reba.  Normally I prefer a deeper voice to sing "Mary Did You Know...." but she sang it tonight with Little Big Town on the ABC country music Christmas special.  Great ending to the show

Edited by HomerS

we have been banking at credit unions for over 25 years now, can't justify giving the big banks a ton of money for the pleasure of holding on to mine. The one we are members with here in NC have given "loyalty" bonuses based on the type of accounts and loans you have with them and always pay the bonuses on December 1. I logged into my account today to find that this year's bonus is $54! While not enough to take a trip or go to a fancy dinner, it is nice to get something back. Yes, they make money off of me from the various accounts but I think it is interesting to read the paper and see where the execs at big bank inc. are getting huge bonuses and charging their customers fees for everything!

14 hours ago, dieseldawg142 said:

i hear ya Mike! been with our C.U. for almost 40 yrs

what really ticks me off with the banks, my C.U. debit card is free to use at any C.U., the moneysuckers at the big banks charge $3 for every time i use my debit....:angry:

anyway, happy to get this "bomb" out of my house today. have'nt had any problems with it in THIRTY FOUR yrs (yup, 34 yrs!...) but think we're starting to live on borrowed time with this water heater

out with the old...                                                       .....and in with the new

561_opt.jpg.5b2ac1e9e3d2c31d172ae391906a9c63.jpg1218_opt.jpg.721a1e0ded2264a5539113ed10462125.jpg

With my personal experience with Water Heaters since moving back to the Mid-West is that they just don't live past 5 or 6 years. I lived in California for over 30 years and NEVER bought a new Water Heater. Moved to the Kansas City Metro area and bought a 2 or 3 year old home. Bought my first Water Heater within a year. Built a new home in 2000 with duel 40 gal. Water Heaters. Both were replaced one after the other at years 5 and 6. They were spewing water out the top and all over the basement floor. Luckily there is a drain there for the Water Softener and the Water Heaters. At year 10 here we go again with the Water Heaters over flowing again. I have been draining this ##### Water Heaters per the installers direction at least twice a year. Gat lots of brown water out but they still only last about 6 years tops. So this year I just got done with another round of Water Heaters at about $900.00 a pop installed. I may or may not be getting ripped off on the cost but checking around this seems to be the going rate everywhere I checked. So this year the wife and I will be celebrating Christmas with a hot shower, so it's not all bad. I think the longevity pf a Hot Water Heater has to do with the quality of your water. Kansas water is hard enough to dent your car when washing it.  

14 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

I keep thinking about getting one of those tankless water heaters but haven't researched their energy efficiency.

From my own experience, I feel that individual tankless on-demand water heaters installed at each point of use are the most efficient.

With a central tankless heater you still have to let the water run a little while to purge the cool water out of the hot-water lines before you get hot water at the tap.

I have on-demand water heaters at the kitchen sink and the bathroom now, and my summer water-heating energy cost is about 1/3 of what it was previously.

My water bill is slightly lower as well.

16 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

Electric or gas, Bill?

I'm running propane water heaters in this house, having switched over from piped-in natural gas and a big central heater, but this approach isn't for everyone...and you need to be very careful about the integrity of your hookups.

I used electric on-demand heaters in the last house, and had a similar decrease in energy costs.

As-built, that house was an energy disaster. The hot-water lines ran in the basement slab, so before you got hot water at the tap, you had to heat up the cold slab around the pipes. Idiocy.

It's a big help $-wise if you can do your own plumbing mods too, because tying into tub and shower lines can be expensive if you have to pay someone to open up the walls to do it.

Here's what the Dept. of Energy has to say...

https://energy.gov/energysaver/tankless-or-demand-type-water-heaters

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, dieseldawg142 said:

nine hundred seems right. we priced out w.h.'s at home depot, 5-6 hundred, up north of the border here, buys you a tank. salesman at home depot quoted us a grand for tank and install. my dad's buddy is a plumber and same thing, he quoted us a grand. ended up buying the tank from home depot and installed it myself. just over 5 hundred all in.

i'm pretty sure the key to our old heater's longevity was because for the first 21 yrs it was just me and wife and we both don't like scorching hot water and left the thermostat on the lowest setting. it was still working fine when i pulled it, but we were starting to worry about it, now that i got a son that likes to take 2 hour showers...:D

checked out reviews of water heaters and it seems the water heaters being made now-days just are'nt up to snuff like the old ones. read about many people changing way old wh's and then getting  just a few yrs out of the newer models. haft to wait and see if that happens with mine...my old heater was a STATE model

The guy we're using for our Hot Water Heaters the last couple of times is super fast to get use back up and running the same day I call so I can't complain there. He also works part time at one of the local colleges that teaches many different building skills and he has to keep abreast of all the latest regulations from the Federal and State level. He explained that some of the newer efficiency regulations also shorten the tanks life span. Part of what happens in our tanks are they fill up with the minerals in the water. That is why he recommends draining the tanks every six months with the idea that it will flush out the minerals. When the poor guy was carting away the old Water Heater he almost couldn't drag it up the sloop from the lower part of the house because it weighed so much and the wheels on his dolly were very deformed from the weight.  I still think the biggest part of the problem is the water that is available in this part of the world.    

I think a valid question would be, would filtering the water before it goes into the WH be cheaper in cost of filters over time than the cost of replacing the WH.

I have filters at my hose bibs because our water is not real good for plant watering, never really thought about having to add a filter to the incoming line to the house.