Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

I went to the World Turtle Day celebration in my town.  Not a big event, just a turtle walk hosted by the town park system. 

It was late in the day so all the turtles usually sunning themselves on logs in the lake went home for the day.  We did probably a 2 mile hike and didn't find any turtles.  But the young lady who ran the event brought her box turtle Charlie for everyone to see.

6 hours ago, Danno said:

Been listening to non-stop Beach Boys music the past several days on Sirius XM's Beach Boys channel!  I even feel much younger!!

They changed something this year or our subscription changed so I can't get the channel at home. Get it in my car but I'm not out and about that much. 😞

Well.....under contract to buy a house. 3 bedroom built in 1899. It's been renovated and has newer central AC/furnace and the hot water heater is only 4 months old. 2 car garage with tons of extra parking out back and the garage faces the parking pad not the back alley. Nice little old neighbor hood in University City (MO) and only 20 minute drive to work. If you know St. Louis county its just 3 blocks from the famous "Delmar Loop". 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Danno said:

Been listening to non-stop Beach Boys music the past several days on Sirius XM's Beach Boys channel!  I even feel much younger!! 

I listen to the beach boys all the time. My favorite are their car songs like 409, Little Duece Coupe, Shut Down, Little Honda, Cherry, Cherry Coupe, Custom Machine, and This Car of Mine there might be more I am missing. I don't know but they just strike that car, that hot rod nerve.

Here's a Playlist I made. (With Beach Boys songs)

https://spotify.link/PAZDAmulSJb

7 hours ago, webestang said:

3 bedroom built in 1899.

When I was working full time as a painter, I Loved working on the old houses. All the trim work and decorative mouldings were always so nice, not like the cookie-cutter stuff used now...... One house we refinished had a brick floor in the main living room, it was done that way for the log fireplace, a preventative measure.......

• Like 1

I am pleased to see this thread still going, having started it 10yr ago! My family has made it through some VERY tough times since then, but we still remain. "Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times" Aeschylus, a Greek philosopher said this many years ago. That quote rings in my head daily. Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God. Written by another philosopher named David. I do Hope you all have a great day.

• Like 2

A drive down the old highway, complete with cambered curves still intact ...

DSCN0757.JPG.4b39ce876741768efa9becddb90c76ee.JPG

and a couple of afternoons massaging an old long-shedded 44 finally resulted in a very smooth running tractor B)  Had to resort to swapping carbs with a stuck parts tractor; a blessing that it was actually clean and had new floats. Worked on it with an 85 yr old guy, one of those veterans that's worth his weight in gold; has the energy of a forty yr old.

DSCN0751(2)a.JPG.2e2e7bd6edddbf2b252f4e45b23543eb.JPG

• Like 4

Found a R/C I had misplaced several years ago while looking for a different set of wheels and tires for my E-Revo. Not only did I find the car, but I found 2 batteries I had bought for the E-Revo years ago, best part, all three batteries are still good and took a charge!

here it is, as found!

IMG_8394.thumb.jpeg.68f50a03e2f31f45c0abb3523ee70d58.jpeg

And after I took it out of the bag

IMG_8395.thumb.jpeg.31690e8dbca1eb3f4635bee506472d7f.jpegIMG_8396.thumb.jpeg.3d13b23ec28ec98525f3f60e75b294b9.jpegIMG_8397.thumb.jpeg.dc073b778eeb249af659b5277b1b3719.jpegIMG_8398.thumb.jpeg.918a58e917b79fd10ded4bb9c56069d9.jpegIMG_8399.thumb.jpeg.94e04eb0ef6d433c264b20c0842108a7.jpeg

then here is one of the wheel and tire assemblies I was looking for when I found above car.

IMG_8403.thumb.jpeg.b624e561eda2c91aac6a5a4abfb5d673.jpeg

• Like 3

Ringside seat for some aerial combat... a golden hawk running off a couple of scruffy crows B)  Too bad I didn't have a camera handy. A couple of years ago, a hawk nailed a magpie out of the sun and rode it screaming into the ground.

• Like 2

I'm pleased because I avoided a repair bill.  My house has this huge built in Sub-Zero refrigerator.  It had been dripping water lately and the ice bin was freezing solid so I figured it was the hose to the ice maker or the unit itself.  I took a look and discovered that behind the lower bins in the refrigerator there is a drip ledge with a drain that was clogged with icky yellow muck.  I cleared it, no more problem!  Seems there is a condensate drain. I had no idea!

• Like 2

More than pleased I am grateful to still being around.

Had pacemaker surgery on May 10 and it has dramatically improved my quality of life. Had followup and everything is really good.

However then I hit a sppedbump.  I had a hernia and strangled bowel which happened Wednesday.  Got got diagnosed on Thurs and had surgery on Saturday.  It was high risk surgery due to my heart issues and although cardiology didn't sanction there was nothing more to mitigate the risk. No choice at that point but to roll the dice. Got released from hospital yesterday and now in convalescent to get my strength back.

I have been given a new lease on life and am going to take advantage of every minute of it. Can't wait to get back to make bench for some quality building time. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Had pacemaker surgery on May 10 and it has dramatically improved my quality of life. Had followup and everything is really good.

However then I hit a sppedbump.  I had a hernia and strangled bowel which happened Wednesday.  Got got diagnosed on Thurs and had surgery on Saturday.  It was high risk surgery due to my heart issues and although cardiology didn't sanction there was nothing more to mitigate the risk. No choice at that point but to roll the dice. Got released from hospital yesterday and now in convalescent to get my strength back.

I have been given a new lease on life and am going to take advantage of every minute of it. Can't wait to get back to make bench for some quality building time. 

Bob, praying for a full and complete recovery so you can get back at it!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

We are pleased you are still around!  Best to you, get well soon and knock out some epic models!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I'm pleased because I avoided a repair bill.  My house has this huge built in Sub-Zero refrigerator.  It had been dripping water lately and the ice bin was freezing solid so I figured it was the hose to the ice maker or the unit itself.  I took a look and discovered that behind the lower bins in the refrigerator there is a drip ledge with a drain that was clogged with icky yellow muck.  I cleared it, no more problem!  Seems there is a condensate drain. I had no idea!

Sub-Zero built ins looks amazing in a kitchen but what a beast to move and install. They look really nice with the panel inserts on the doors if you have one of those models. I've installed quite a few in my work days. Glad it was an easy fix for you.

10 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Sub-Zero built ins looks amazing in a kitchen but what a beast to move and install. They look really nice with the panel inserts on the doors if you have one of those models. I've installed quite a few in my work days. Glad it was an easy fix for you.

Yes. We have the one with the panels that match the cabinets.  The first time my sister came to visit she asked if we had a refrigerator because she didn't see one!   And the suckers have two compressors-- one for each the refrig and freezer.. already replaced one!

I appreciate all of the well wishes guys.

This has been the most profound experience in my life. When I had my heart attack in 2014 I was told that they were surprised I made it. I dedicated my energies to making the most of that second chance.

Fast forward to now. The situation on the surgery provided three possible outcomes; I wouldn't survive it, I would end in worse shape possibly a stoke, or the surgery would be a success. This all boils down to a coin flip. I would have positive or a negative outcome. Basically a coin flip. However the it wasn't necessarily even odds. That coin was baised towards the negative. Would you want to make a coin flip to make that decision. There wasn't the option not to make that choice. For me I am extremely grateful for  a positive result.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I appreciate all of the well wishes guys.

...There wasn't the option not to make that choice. For me I am extremely grateful for  a positive result.

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery, Bob. 

• Like 1

Signed up for my next Strongman competition. August 10 gives me plenty of time to go through a few heavy lifting cycles. It's been a year since I competed, really looking forward to it again.