Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Aston Martin DB 4 - Aurora Kit 1965/Monogram Reissue 1991

Plastheniker

Hi,

Considering that this Aurora kit is almost 50 years old it is not that poor IMO.

Since I built the Monogram reissue more than 20 years ago my memories have more or less faded but I still remember three major problems:

• In those early days kits with opening doors, bonnets and even boot lids were rather popular even if their usually poor fit spoilt the appearance of the model when closed. This applies to the Aurora kit, too. Making equal gaps and gluing these movable parts shut flush with the rest of the body was rather laborious.

• The optically extremely distorting glass parts for the windscreen and the side windows were abysmal and had to be replaced by clear sheet. The rear window was still just acceptable but I wish I had replaced it, too.

• The kit had massive „wire“ wheels, similar to those of Tamiya's Morgan and Jaguar Mk II, but rather clumsy by comparison. As usual I made a set of real wire wheels. Since the (whitewall) tyres of the kit were very crude I replaced them by better ones from my spares box.

I mixed a green metallic that was obviously popular on restored vintage Aston Martins because green metallic was (and still is) Aston Martin's racing colour.

Overall the kit was certainly far from perfect, that may be the resaon why you don't see it finished very often.

Nevertheless with some effort it can make a nice model.

comp_DB4001130_zps7350737a.jpgcomp_DB4002130_zps0bf6ace0.jpgcomp_DB4003130_zps46d834e1.jpgcomp_DB4004130_zps5937fcdd.jpgcomp_DB4005130_zps6cb951c5.jpgcomp_DB4006130_zps65e34ee5.jpgcomp_DB4007130_zpsf422e932.jpg

Another Plastheniker masterpiece. Just superb. Okay, your next mission, should you choose to accept it, is the Aurora Maserati 3500 GTi. Only Matt Bacon has conquered the inaccuracies in this kit, which requires a new nose and front roofline. I am loaded with reference on this if you need it.

Brilliant build, Jurgen. The finish is exemplary, as usual, as is your attention to detail. It's the best colour for one of these, I reckon (my Zero Paints collection includes 3 versions of Aston Martin racing/sage/California green...). I have one to build as well, and I'm looking forward to it now. The only thing I'd change is the line of the roof over the side windows -- it should be pretty much flat over the door, and the highest part is more or less at the front corner -- it doesn't curve back down again from a high-point a bit in front of the B-pillar. And that's going to mean raising the "brow" of the windscreen, because the curve to the pillar has finished at the top of the side window height. Aaaargh -- another crash moulded windscreen in my future I fear...

But that's not to detract from your very fine build of the kit as is...

Congratulations.

bestest,

M.