Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is a "girls " car ?

I have read post here that say convertibles are girls cars. Some that say mustang ll's were girls cars. Some say Miata's are girls cars. Others say anything that isn't a performance car is a girls car. I haven't really thought about it much so wondering in your opinion , what is a girls car and why. Don't know if there are any right or wrong answers and realize it's all just opinions. Just wondering how many "girls" cars I have owned in the past. : )

Good question Ray... Back when I was shopping for my Geo Tracker in 1991, I wanted a 5 speed. I found tons of automatics on the lots. I asked one frustrated salesman and he responded it was because they were a girls car! No way to win my business..

If it's a pink Barbie Corvette... now that's undeniably a girls car. Heck, I wouldn't even borrow that to pick up pizza!

Don't see too many women driving Miatas, but I do see alot driving Mustangs (usually 4 or 6 cyl, but a surprising number of GT's too), Mini's (again, surprising number of Coopers too), Wrangler's (especially now that there is a 4dr), big SUV's of all makes, New Beetle's, and a number of Fiat 500's (but not usually Abarths......not sure why that is.)

The 1955 and 1956 Dodge La Femme. A car designed specifically for women. A $143.30 option for the Dodge Custom Royal Lancer. La Femme came with a Heather Rose over Sapphire White two-tone paint job. A matching interior. Matching umbrella, purse, rain hat, lipstick, and other special accessories. Plus La Femme badging. If there is any car that's a "girls" car, this is it. The problem is, the "girls"/women weren't all that interested in the package. It did not sell well, and fairly rare today.

Scott

I agree with Prius which is what my wife now drives, she is on her second one as a matter of fact, Also agree with new Beetle which I now drive, her old one before she switched. It does come with a blood vase after all, I filled it with Tootsie Pops for a while and now a pen as an attempt to make it more manly. It in fact has a motcho 5-speed manual. When they add flower tail lights or wheels they definently get girley. I always considered Mustangs girl cars back in the old days.

Unclescott58 the mate to La Femme was the TEXAN The mans answer. I almost bought on during Mopars in the Park 92 in Shakopee Mn..

I'd have to do some research, but I thought the Texan was only available in Texas. And not nation wide like the La Femme. I could be wrong about that. Need to do more research on that. I just pull Thomas McPhersons's book, The Dodge Story. And it is not clear at a first glance using that book, if the Texan was available nation wide or not.

Scott

It kinda depends on your definition of "girl" I guess. I used to know a beautiful woman who drove a lipstick-red '57 T-bird, one who drove a 450SL Merc, one who drove a series 3 E-type convertible, and one who drove a 289 4-speed '66 Mustang. Not your typical "girls".

These days, I see a lot of women driving these... 2011_Chrysler_200_Convertible_13.jpg

Honda-Odyssey.jpgtoyota-camry-solara-sle-convertible-phot ...How boring.

I kinda like this though...

_A_girl_and_a_pink_car__swag_047331_.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Honestly, I would drive one of those 200 Limited convertables too if it were the folding hardtop type, maybe bag it and shave the handles and nameplates (maybe chrome the wing badge on the trunk), try to fill the part of the grill surround that has the wing badge and re-chrome it.....could make a nice mild custom.