Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

I really like the new album by Apocalyptica titled Shadowmaker. Honestly, I like anything by them. Even though I'm a die hard heavy metal fan, I also like orchestra and some classical music. They're even better in my opinion when they're infused into heavy metal.

From the ashes of the original New York Dolls lineup , Johnny Thunders & the Hearbreakers were comprised of Dolls' defectors Jerry Nolan [drums]  and Johnny Thunders [guitar] ; they were joined by  Billy Rath [bass] , and Waler Lure [guitar] : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.A.M.F.

Man, that is a classic! The '70s were a golden era for music venues in NYC. Got to see Johnny & the boys at CBGB's, Max's Kansas City and the Mudd Club.  

Man, that is a classic! The '70s were a golden era for music venues in NYC. Got to see Johnny & the boys at CBGB's, Max's Kansas City and the Mudd Club.  

That is so cool ! Did you see The Heartbreakers when Richard Hell was still in the band ?

Have you read Please Kill Me ( the Uncensored Oral History of Punk ) [Legs McNeil , et al. , 1996 ad seq.] ? I highly recommend it ! It starts with the Velvet Underground ; then to The Stooges and the MC5 ; onto Leee Black Childers / Main Man ; and finally Ramones , New York Dolls , The Voidoids , Television , etc. , etc.

That is so cool ! Did you see The Heartbreakers when Richard Hell was still in the band ?

Have you read Please Kill Me ( the Uncensored Oral History of Punk ) [Legs McNeil , et al. , 1996 ad seq.] ? I highly recommend it ! It starts with the Velvet Underground ; then to The Stooges and the MC5 ; onto Leee Black Childers / Main Man ; and finally Ramones , New York Dolls , The Voidoids , Television , etc. , etc.

John, I missed the shows with Richard Hell. I did catch Television in April '75 and the Voidoids in October '76 at CB's and at Max's in '77, though. My friends and I lived at these clubs. Please Kill Me is a great book. I won a pre-release copy during a call-in contest during The New Afternoon Show, on WNYU-FM, in 1996. Still have it. :)

Like I said, that was a golden era. I used to see Patti Smith, Wayne County, The Ramones, The Dictators, Blondie, etc. on any given day. The great part was that it was in small, hole-in-the-wall dives, not in Madison Square Garden. You would be up close and intimate with these bands because you could stand right near the stages and have a couple of beers with them at the bar after they finished their sets. There'll never be another time like it again. 

Edited by SfanGoch

John, I missed the shows with Richard Hell. I did catch Television in April '75 and the Voidoids in October '76 at CB's and at Max's in '77, though. My friends and I lived at these clubs. Please Kill Me is a great book. I won a pre-release copy during a call-in contest during The New Afternoon Show, on WNYU-FM, in 1996. Still have it. :)

Like I said, that was a golden era. I used to see Patti Smith, Wayne County, The Ramones, The Dictators, Blondie, etc. on any given day. The great part was that it was in small, hole-in-the-wall dives, not in Madison Square Garden. You would be up close and intimate with these bands because you could stand right near the stages and have a couple of beers with them at the bar after they finished their sets. There'll never be another time like it again. 

That's one of the things that made Punk so great : the return to the intimate venues ! Granted , I'm 46 years old , so I missed out on the beginning ; how-ever , I did get to see some great L.A.-area bands in the late 80's (though I did miss out on Rozz Williams' final show with Christian Death --sans George Belanger-- in '93 at one of the fledgling DeathRock clubs) .

Dictators and Wayne / Jayne County ... Hm ... now that must have been a show ! (did Handsome D1ck Manitoba ever forgive Jayne ?)  :lol:

One of my favorite bands is New Order, going back to their days as Joy Division. I was home on leave in November 1981 and saw them at the Ukrainian National Home, on the Lower East Side. This Youtube video is from the Nov. 18 show my friends and I attended.

After the show, we hand the pleasure of hanging out with the band at Lys Mykyta, the bar in the place. It's always good to be friends with the owners who let us in. :D

If you are unfamiliar with Johnny Cash's American Recordings I highly suggest you check them out. Here are a few of my favorites from the series.  His voice in these recordings isn't as powerful as it once was (due to his medical condition)  but the intensity is the same as it ever ways. 

Edited by afx