Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite Obscure or Discovered Music Album

afx

Peter Gabriel - Security

I think I own every album released by PG and its hard to pick a favorite but this one might be it. If all you know of PG is his Sledgehammer era you are missing out on his best stuff.  If you like drums and percussions as much as I do you will love this album.  Play it loud this song rocks.

Edited by afx

Heard Threshold the first time a couple years ago, and had no idea they have put out  as many albums as they have. Had a couple different singers and other lineup changes, but a solid band for sure.

Edited by MonoPed

Peter Gabriel - Security

I think I own every album released by PG and its hard to pick a favorite but this one might be it. If all you know of PG is his Sledgehammer era you are missing out on his best stuff.  If you like drums and percussions as much as I do you will love this album.  Play it loud this song rocks.

Peter Gabriel is awesome, particularly his earlier albums.

He has had a hit or two on mainstream radio so may not count as obscure, but Gotye sounds amazingly similar to Peter Gabriel. The first time I heard him I thought it was a new Peter Gabriel song. He also has some very creative videos.

Gotye Eyes Wide Open from Making Mirrors

After 35 years, yeah, it's obscure.  BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH fine album though. Punk meets Jazz and killer lyrics.

Great album, I have it on 10" vinyl.  I really like Volume 4 too.  A few of my favorites from this album.

Edited by afx

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Gabriel is awesome, particularly his earlier albums.

He has had a hit or two on mainstream radio so may not count as obscure, but Gotye sounds amazingly similar to Peter Gabriel. The first time I heard him I thought it was a new Peter Gabriel song. He also has some very creative videos.

Gotye Eyes Wide Open from Making Mirrors

I love this song by Gotye.  Might have to track down some more of his stuff.

Edited by afx

• 2 weeks later...

...and now for something completely different...

:)

Sometimes when I'm in the mood (while in my workshop, or doing stuff on the computer, or just relaxin') I put on some of the early works of Jean Michael Jarre.  It is all good.  Albums like Oxygene, Equinoxe, or Magnetic Fields.  I like a bunch of his later stuff too, but the early albums are my favorite.

...and now for something completely different...

:)

Sometimes when I'm in the mood (while in my workshop, or doing stuff on the computer, or just relaxin') I put on some of the early works of Jean Michael Jarre.  It is all good.  Albums like Oxygene, Equinoxe, or Magnetic Fields.  I like a bunch of his later stuff too, but the early albums are my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XY3vnwQzy8

A bit more obscure, The Beat Farmers

Blue Chevrolet off of their Van Go album (also on their best of album)

I saw them play in Phoenix in the early '80s when they were called the Snugglebunnies, then several years later in Eugene- during their break I went up to Country Dick who was getting a beer at the bar and mentioned being at the Snugglebunnies gig and he called the other band members over and introduced me to them saying "this guy remembers the Snugglebunnies!"

I didn't tell him I had snuck into the show carrying an empty guitar case, LOL

I play a couple of their songs on guitar- Lonesome Hound, and Goldmine

I found out about Band-Maid a few months ago. Pretty rockin' I like "Don't Let Me Down" a lot. 

Totally agreed, Jason. "Real Existence" too. I'm trying to like Fate Gear but the songs I've heard by them don't have the melody that Band-Maid does.  

• 1 month later...

I recently discovered 3 albums by a short lived Australian horror-psychobilly band called Zombie Ghost Train... really catchy stuff.. 

First album, Monster Formal Wear

Followed by Glad Rags & Body Bags

And their final album, Dealing The Death Card...  before the singer went on to pursue his solo honky-tonk career...