Model Cars Magazine Forum

What iconic if slightly funky European car will we get next?

In recent years Revell of Germany has brought us some unexpected against the grain kits, Trabant, Mini, 2CV and several VWs.

Just for fun I thought I'd try to see what else was out there that isn't a European Supercar (somewhat in the spirit of the many Greg Myers photo posts...)

Saab 96

Built from 1960-80. Early versions came with a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine, later versions could have a V-4 built by Ford Germany

Saab96_zps3289bfa2.jpg

Fiat 124

Approximately 2 million built in Italy between 1966 and 74. Many other countries built licensed variants including the USSR. Upwards of 8 million of these cars were built in Soviet factories for use behind the iron curtain where it was known as the Lada.

Fiat124_zpsd086e328.jpg

Peugeot 504

The 504 was built in France from 1968-83. It continued to be built outside of Europe until 2006 being popular in many parts of the world with less developed roads.

Peugeot504_zpsec878ff2.jpg

Renault Dauphine

Probably best known for being compared with the Corvair when that cars safety was being scrutinized. Like the Corvair it has a rear engine layout and rear swing axle suspension. Unlike the Corvair it had a watercooled inline 4 producing a maximum of 37 horsepower.

RenaultDauphine_zpse3ee96f3.jpg

BMW 2002

Built from 1968-75, the little 2002 helped to build BMW's reputation for sporty cars.

BMW2002_zpsbbe505ad.jpg

Volvo Amazon / 120 series

Built from 1956 until 1970. Known in Sweden as the Amazon it was renamed the 120 series when it came to the US in 1958.

Volvo122S_zps99448cef.jpg

Citroen DS

The DS was a very advanced car when it was introduced. Built 1955-75 it had a manual transmission with an automatic clutch, hydropnuematic independent suspension, and self leveling headlights that turned with the wheels (non-US models).

CitroenDS_zps3d671518.jpg

Edited by Aaronw

any of those but especially the Saab, Citroen, Renault Dauphine or Volvo 120 (or P1800 preferably).

and the Lotus Elise/Exige.

and then I woke up

jb

I was looking for something English, but they don't dabble. English cars are either very funky or dead sexy. The Lotus Elise definitely falls into the second category :wub:

I think that Amazon would be a really cool to have as a model kit. AirTrax has made a resin kit of one, but I've heard rumors that they are being sold out and the molds need to be redone to produce more of those copies. That Amazon has lots of building options, I'm thinking of a Chopped Custom, Street Machine with a V8 under the hood and my favorite would be building something like the Hemizon:

Volvo-Hemizon-1.jpg

I'd really like to see a Ford Capri MK1. Yes, I know Revell and AMT already kitted that one, but that doesn't exactly rule it out as a kit subject, especially when you consider neither of those kits have been reissued in decades, and there's quite a bit of room for improvement either way.

The reason we don't have many plastic model kits of bread and butter automobiles here in Europe, is that we didn't have manufacturers commissioning promo's, also Europe wasn't a single market back then, but a bunch of countries with a lot of different rules, views and legislation, within part of a continent, called Western Europe.

And then add 1/32 scale and nationalism (everything foreign is bad, domestic is the best) in the mix, and we ended up with virtually nothing...

Anyway good thing Revell Germany kicked down those stupid barriers, seeing potential in the young-timer segment, think we have to thank the European Ed Sexton for this, he goes by the name Ulli Taubert.

Now if only Airfix would let go of 1/32 scale...

Edited by Luc Janssens

I'd really like to see a Ford Capri MK1. Yes, I know Revell and AMT already kitted that one, but that doesn't exactly rule it out as a kit subject, especially when you consider neither of those kits have been reissued in decades, and there's quite a bit of room for improvement either way.

a MkII you mean, the only first gen 1/24th scale Capri that I know of is the one by Doyusha

DOYUSHANostalgicHeroesBoxLHEnd-vi.jpg

This one is a mystery to me. As Luc above points out, AMT and Revell did not do a model of the Capri Mk I. In fact until his above posting, I didn't know that anybody made a Capri Mk I in 1/24th or 1/25th scale. And there is the mystery. Capri Mk I were a big hit in real life. Sold like hot cakes everywhere. So where are the models of cars? Make mine a US spec '72 with the V6.

I'd also love to see a Saab 96 and a late 60's Cortina GT.

Scott

tomcar12-vi.jpg

I love the idea of a Saab 95 or 96. I owned this 96 wagon, with the Taunus V4 for awhile. You know how you know someone with a cool car and you tell them "If you ever want to get rid of it, call me!" and they never do? I came home one day to find this one in my driveway. The guy actually just gave it to me!

german16-vi.jpg

and why not one of these 1969 era Opel Kadetts? These sold like crazy in Europe.

Mini, Beetle, 2CV, Golf (Rabbit to you guys)... these are serious big sellers in real life, and familiar to everyone in Europe. More to the point, they're held in real affection by millions. I don't think anyone really loves a Fiat 124 or Ford Anglia... The Saab, maybe. Of all the cars above, I reckon the BMW 2002 Neue Classe, new in time for the 50th anniversary in 2018, is by far the most likely Revell Germany release...

bestest,

M.

The BMW 2002, DS19/21, and the p1800 (especially the ES shooting brake) would be instabuys for me. I can't figure out why Revell Germany hasn't kitted the 2002 yet... it's only the iconic German sports sedan that started the whole sports sedan genre. Maybe now that they've kitted a MKI GTI they'll get around to it. As for something iconic and funky I'd like to see a kit of, how about a Saab 900 Turbo SPG?

Edited by jaymcminn