Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you consider your best modeling purchase?

$1.39.

About 10 minutes after it hit the shelf . . . 1958.

For those too young to recognize what it is, it's an AMT 1958 3n1 model kit. A 1958 Buick hardtop, to be precise.

$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUsSCBRR4LB6Gbw~~60_57.J

was this a generic box with a sticker of the included car on the end panel?

was this a generic box with a sticker of the included car on the end panel?

Yes. Same box for all the hardtop kits issued in '58; different box for all the convertibles. There were white tape stickers on each end of each box that identified the specific car inside.

Dremel, bought my first one at a garage sale for $3 tossed in a set of brushes and it lasted me another 10 years! Have both the stylus and corded Dremels. I like the corded model better as I use the flex shaft with it gives me better control. Going to have to ditto on the bi-focals and optivisor!

This is odd. I put 4-10 models together a year and have never felt the need to get the drimmel out. What are you guys using it for.

I use it mostly for removing plastic. I never build anything without cutting something up. My old corded one is in a holder so I can use it as a cheap lathe.

When I was about 12. I bought a dimmer switch & wired it up to my Dremel. This was before there were variable speed models. After that, in no particular order, good fine tip brushes, air brush, bare metal foil, & Xacto knives & razor saw.

Jeff

Three things-two I bought,one was a gift..I bought a respirator for painting and an Optivisor so my old eyes can see the small parts.Almost 50 years ago now (Jeez!) my dad gave me a set of X-Acto knives in a wooden box.I still have and still use the set.

This AMT '58 Buick. I had been looking for one for years, but the prices were outrageous. This popped up on ebay, buy it now for $45 shipped. Absloutely pristine. The bare plastic shines, no glue spots, nothing broken. looks like the bumpers were replated and the windshield trim was hand painted silver.

photo-vi.jpg

I would have to say it is my Badger Million-aire silent compressor. First time I could adjust pressure while airbrushing, which opened up a whole new world of control. Plus, I could airbrush anytime without causing a racket with noisy compressor.

First would be my Optivisor w/No.3 lense (needed them after age 40+), next would be the No.5 lense for my Optivisor (needed a little stronger lense after age 50+) :D. Second wasn't a purchase, a good friend gave me a set of good Swiss needle files almost 30yrs ago. I use them on almost ever model, I have yet to find another set as good. Last would be my Dremel Stylus, very comfortable to use.

Edited by 58 Impala

Hi,

Good thread and some excellent examples that'll help people with their building. For me, in the following categories, are:

Tools - airbrush and compressor that you can adjust the pressure with

Resources - magazines, Donn Yost's dvds and the internet connection (can't imagine life without it now)

Accessories - opitvisor - vison is sure less flexible than it used to be!

Going to shows and meeting people is also a great way to expand the hobby!

My best purchase was an original Monogran, Hotwheels Snake and Mongoose funny cars (open but MINT). I paid twenty each.

The second best, is not a purchase, but joining this forum. I can't begin to count how many times the forum members have helped me out, with modeling information as well as how to get in touch with vendors.

Hats off to this site and all the members

Vernon