Model Cars Magazine Forum

When will Revell show us what they got?

for some reason Revell missed iHobby, missed NNL, missed the phantom October 15th date and well we should all just be happy they exist and shut up and build a model. Unless you're heavily into Asian kits the focus in America on models is June and October. They plod along too long and nobody is going to even be paying attention when they do announce because we'll all be busy with our families during the Holiday Season.

Maybe we've just grown accustomed to the U.S. kit manufacturers announcing their intentions for the next year every June and October, to attend iHobby, etc., but that's no longer the case for all of them. I'm pretty sure was Hobbico's decision to not attend iHobby, and Revell didn't attend last year, either, so it's clear things have changed for them, and maybe they just want to try something different and are trying to find out what works best. Maybe announcing the kits at the Toldeo NNL was a one year only thing for Revell, and this year they have a different plan which they will follow in future years? Maybe they feel it was a mistake to announce them at the 2012 Toledo NNL? It could be many things, but I don't think they're going to lose any interest by taking a few more days or weeks to make their announcement, even if that means the announcement date is later than we expected.

I am sure what I am going to say is going to be took as bashing Revell, which is not, but maybe , Revell knows that what they have planned for 2014 is going to be some what disappointing, so by them pushing back the reveal dates, they can reveal their 2014 kits under the radar if you will, no matter what Revell does, the ignorant people will blow up their FaceBook page and bash tell the cows come home.

Again, just a random thought, do I think it holds any merit, nope, but you never know

I don't see why your opinions should carry any less weight than any other member's, so if that's how you honestly feel, say so.

One request, and this is not aimed at you Jon, but please, let's leave facebook and your opinions about it completely out of this discussion. facebook is quickly catching up with WalMart, politics, and similar taboo topics here because whenever someone mentions it, someone else takes the opportunity to rag on it, judge people who use it, and so on. Revell's facebook page is model-related, but it's getting to the point where the mere mention of it here causes the topic to derail and get personal between members, and that is the opposite, both in sprit and execution, of why this forum exists.

I don't see why your opinions should carry any less weight than any other member's, so if that's how you honestly feel, say so.

One request, and this is not aimed at you Jon, but please, let's leave facebook and your opinions about it completely out of this discussion. facebook is quickly catching up with WalMart, politics, and similar taboo topics here because whenever someone mentions it, someone else takes the opportunity to rag on it, judge people who use it, and so on. Revell's facebook page is model-related, but it's getting to the point where the mere mention of it here causes the topic to derail and get personal between members, and that is the opposite, both in sprit and execution, of why this forum exists.

I would say my reply was more tongue in cheek if you will, but you never know, do I believe that is the reason?, of course not.

I used ignorant as an example, I was not judging anyone, or saying my opinion is , I was saying that could be a reason why Revell may want to fly under the radar to avoid black lash from people because so and so subject is not being kitted, or rants

But Revell use's FaceBook to announce their upcoming kits, they use it for marketing, if it wasnt for FaceBook, I dont think we would hear from Revell at all, we cant pretend that FaceBook does not exist, and that Revell does not use it, because they do

so if that's how you honestly feel, say so

But you just told me I couldn't do that ;):D

Edited by martinfan5

Last I heard they were waiting on the OK about some licensing agreements that apply to some of the new announcements.

Just for the sake of speculation. Whom exactly is saying that it is model car licensing that Revell is waiting on ??? Could it be an aircraft kit, ship, or licensed movie or other kit that is holding up the announcements ??? I know this is a model car forum but Revell's business model doesn't completely revolve around model cars.

Edited by slantasaurus

I would say my reply was more tongue in cheek if you will, but you never know, do I believe that is the reason?, of course not.

If you think Revell is trying to cover themselves somehow by delaying releases, fine. No harm in saying it if that's what you truly believe. I'd prefer to read someone's honest opinion on a model-related topic, without them being concerned if what they post is right or wrong. What they have to say may in fact be true. If they're wrong, welcome to the club. New members are always welcomed and nobody is ever turned away. Odds are pretty good we're all already members, but some have yet to receive their fez in the mail. :D

Regarding facebook, there's always going to be overlap since Revell has made it a part of their online presence, but the opinions posted about facebook which have nothing to do with Revell or model cars and trucks are what derail topics and don't benefit the forum in any way.

Just for the sake of speculation. Whom exactly is saying that it is model car licensing that Revell is waiting on ??? Could it be an aircraft kit, ship, or licensed movie or other kit that is holding up the announcements ??? I know this is a model car forum but Revell's business model doesn't completely revolve around model cars.

I don't know if it's a sponsor, a team owner for a race car or a real auto manufacturer, but when I discussed VW kits with Ed Sexton, he mentioned VW was not an easy company to obtain licensing from, that Revell and Revell-AG are considered completely different entities as far as licensing is concerned, and that VW's licensing arm had gone through some changes recently, so it could be many factors while dealing with one single entity or company which is causing a delay with one particular kit or series of kits.

I think it's accurate to say Revell never gave a date for announcing new issues. As Casey pointed out, we have just deduced it from their prior announcement dates.

I believe that Revell, like the other model companies, is run on a shoe string with minimal employees these days. Nearly everything from design, to tooling and manufacturing is contracted out. Sometimes outsourced services are difficult to work with and control to deadlines. You may not have an established process, or be familiar with the people you are working with on a specific project. The contractor's schedule may put you behind as they push a job for a better client in front of yours. For instance on my construction projects, when I brought in a new contractor, every detail needed to be explained and on the blueprints because they just didn't know all my expectations. Once working with a contractor a few projects, you can say, "With the usual level of detail." and it gets done the way you want it. And think about Chinese designers and tooling folks trying to get details right on cars they've never seen in person from notes supplied by folks in the US.

As far as Revell attending the hobby show, that's an expensive event and they may not have had the time and resources to support it. The cost to benefit may not be there for them. I know in my own industry, several large companies were missing from our annual event this year. And does it make sense to announce your new products at the show where everyone else is doing the same? Your news can get lost. It may be more effective to do their announcements at another time.

Edited by Tom Geiger

I think it may have already been mentioned here but Revell will be announcing more than just a few car models and it could be something non-car related that is holding up ALL of their 2014 announcements.

In response to Tom's comments above, I am sure the staff at Revell has been tasked with multiple areas of responsibility as that has become the norm in corporate America. As we have seen with the Moebius Ford pickups, communicating all of the necessary changes and updates takes time and when dealing internationally there can be delays due to time zones and waiting on samples. China also celebrates holidays in October and some businesses are shut down the first two weeks of the month.

I find it hard to believe that there could be a forum member here who is waiting to buy/build a model based on the 2014 releases from Revell! Many of us have a stash of models into the hundreds and have plenty to build for many years or lifetimes!

As an aside, how long ago was the Moebius Ford Pickup announced? They indicated at IHOBBY that they learned from that and the Ventura and Comet are much farther along.

But at the same time with the significant, near re-do tooling issues that the Hudson and C300 suffered from that a long lead time from tooling to actual kit, I don't expect their kits in rapid deployment.

Ya know back in the SASE days before the internet and instant communications and it's subsequent bankruptcy (and later revival as Spotlight) a lot of us got the Hobby Heaven "catalog" by mail that would list the new kits with the expected month of release. Of course AMT during the Ertl days had the Blueprinter which twice a year would announce their new kits in the newsletter.

But at the same time with the significant, near re-do tooling issues that the Hudson and C300 suffered from that a long lead time from tooling to actual kit, I don't expect their kits in rapid deployment.

Ya know back in the SASE days before the internet and instant communications and it's subsequent bankruptcy (and later revival as Spotlight) a lot of us got the Hobby Heaven "catalog" by mail that would list the new kits with the expected month of release. Of course AMT during the Ertl days had the Blueprinter which twice a year would announce their new kits in the newsletter.

You are so right. I enjoyed getting those both. I also remember waiting for the announcements in the 60's in the model magazines.

Edited by Exotics_Builder

I remember getting the Hobby Heaven catalog, and going through it with a highlighter and highlighting all the kits that I wanted, now, I was in my teens, so it was just me day dreaming if you will, but I always enjoyed that

I remember getting the Hobby Heaven catalog, and going through it with a highlighter and highlighting all the kits that I wanted, now, I was in my teens, so it was just me day dreaming if you will, but I always enjoyed that

Hey I still do that with the online revell releases I make a to-do list lol.

I don't know if it's a sponsor, a team owner for a race car or a real auto manufacturer, but when I discussed VW kits with Ed Sexton, he mentioned VW was not an easy company to obtain licensing from, that Revell and Revell-AG are considered completely different entities as far as licensing is concerned, and that VW's licensing arm had gone through some changes recently, so it could be many factors while dealing with one single entity or company which is causing a delay with one particular kit or series of kits.

Having dealt with VW in my time at Johnny Lightning, I second what you say about VW being difficult, even demanding to work with, especially if you are an American company wanting to do VW models for the US Market. VW's licensing people have a reputation for insisting that only the German domestic version be produced in toy or model kit form, regardless of whether that is the version most seen by people here in the US. There are differences, albeit in details.

Art

:lol::lol::blink:

Can I use this as a sig line please?

Do you have any trouble seeing the screen with all of that highlighter on it?

What Art said.

However, I think they have VW license already for new Bug and the 2 Beetles, thought R-G may have the old Beetles. Ferrari just hammered Model Factory Hiro, so something is up with licensing in general.

I'd think after having 30 pages of rants here about a Fox, I wouldn't run back for more. <_<:huh: Hopefully a real moderator is around this time :):rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for a nicer front end for the 69-70 Mustangs, not sure what plaint is allowed by Chuck K's blog :rolleyes: I haven't finished the first issues so no rush :D

Fun to watch stomping feet and waving arms though.

I'm still waiting for a nicer front end for the 69-70 Mustangs

They didn't design the '70 and '69 at the same time and I think that's why the marquee of the '69 didn't turn out that well.

So IMHO Revell will have to tool up an whole new body to get then both right and in the same scale too.

Anyway...a '69 Boss 302, would be nice to have.

I'm with you on this one David. I would expect we'll see a kit at some point, but like you I wonder how soon. Since Round2 kits are now used for the promos I would expect them to do a curbside but I'd prefer Revell did at least one since theirs have a higher level of quality.

It seems like there are problems at Revell. This is a company that has been in the same business since the mid to late '50's. "They" fail to get licensing rights before releasing a kit- does no one there realize or remember that this needs to be done? "They" continue to produce kits with major detail flaws- the new Fox Mustang, and (almost) the '57 Chevy convertible. And the price of kits keeps going up. Sounds like some new blood is needed at an old manufacturer. I don't feel good about this.

Wow, lots of rampant speculation in this thread, but hey, isn't that what this place is all about?!?!

First off, I said that I heard (and this was from someone not directly connected with Revell) that they were waiting to hear back on some licensing deals from the companies that issue the licenses, meaning that they had applied for the licensing, but had not gotten the word back from the license holders, not that they had forgotten to apply for the licensing.

Second, Revell NEVER gave a date when they would make the announcement, so who says they're running anything but right on time?

Yeah, this thread is kinda pathetic, with all the wild speculation and baseless condemnation.

I worked on a model over the weekend. I modified the heck out of a 1/8 scale resin body...which reminds me...it would be awesome to see Revell tool up a '29 roadster body for the Big Deuce kit.