Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Orange Crate - '32 Ford Sedan

Phildaupho

DSCN1383-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I do not recall seeing the full scale Orange Crate back in the day but the magazine articles and model kit made a big impression on me although this is my first build attempt. I had couple of those previous reissues with the weird parts molded in colored plastic but they did not appeal to me so I got rid of them. The most recent reissue with the great classic box-art, corrected hood and new decals as well as the great article and photos in The Rodder’s Journal inspired me to finally build The Orange Crate.

I decided this would be my annual summer camping project. This would be a simple build like I built models as a kid with a combination of brush and rattle can painting. I did some preparation of parts and painted everything before hand but 95% of final assembly was done during three afternoons on a camping trip with the grandsons and their grandmother. I ran out of glue and lost the steering column but was able to fabricate a new one from the plastic rear axle.

Simple of course does mean it was easy as this mid-60’s kit lived up to its reputation. The kit is very accurate and as such many of the parts are very small and fragile. There are a lot of chrome parts on two trees that have a great deal of flash, molding seams and marks. Plus the parts are very tightly spaced with mountings heavier than the parts themselves. Fortunately I brought my silver lacquer paint to touch up the chrome. The instructions have been updated and there is a complete parts list however locating pins and holes are very small and the orientation is some cases is vague.

- The exterior paint is Testor’s One Coat Lacquer Firey Orange with Clear Top Coat [the real car’s last original paint is candy orange with ghost flames which I never even thought about trying to duplicate]

- Orange ignition wires added

- Headers outlets drilled open

- Axle tubes added to quick-change rearend [the current kit has a plastic axle but I used a metal axle like the original]

DSCN1381-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

DSCN1378-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

beautiful build of one of the most difficult kits I have ever laid my eyes on, not even counting the excessive flashiness of the more recent reissues. that is just beautiful from the paint down to the execution of details. gives me the spirit to maybe try this one of these days. maybe.

jb

Thanks everyone. It probably looks better in photographs than under a magnifying glass but all things considered I am pretty happy with how it turned out. It certainly gave me renewed appreciation of both the skills of the Revell craftspeople who originally tooled up this kit and how well engineered most modern kits car.

Very nice job on the kit, especially being not finished or built on your own bench but during a camping trip..A member of our model club (Winnipeg Model Car Club) built some as you did when he was younger..I think he is 65 now..When the new release came out he mentioned he was now going to do one properly..It sure came out nice as did yours..Funny what a few years and more modelling experience can do..Well done...

Hi Phil,

The model looks excellent. I've never seen this model finished. I bought the kit when it came out, way beck when. It was, if I remember correctly, the first Revell kit that I'd seen that was so beautifully detailed. It was over my head back then, I remember the super long and thin chrome parts, I broke them trying to get them off the trees. I don't think I even finished it, too difficult. I think just a bit later too, Don Garlits' Windjammer came out, with a clear plastic body tat I was wise enough to brush paint underneath, so it had a great shine to it. Those were the days.

Your car looks very good and I'm even thinking about trying it again.

Good job!

Michael