Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus Not taking New Orders Once Again

It's been so long since I ordered, I'd actually forgotten until i saw this post. I ordered a set of tires probably 4 months ago and still haven't heard anything about them. I can't even remember if my card was charged or if they're waiting until shipment to charge. Too bad there's nobody in the family taking over the business. I've only had one other dealing with them in the past (before their retirement announcement), but it was a pleasant one and the parts were fantastic. 

Been placing an order once a month for the last 8 or 9 months and all have been received within the time frame they  had set , there are still three orders pending and was about to place another one when I seen this early this morning.  Sure wish them the best even if I never get to place another order. They been a life saver more times thanI could ever mention

I've been wanting their 57 Mercury pickup. I had hoped to get it at NNL Nationals 2015 but they hadn't brought one with them. Like an idiot I didn't fill out an order form at the show. I've been meaning to put an order in for it hoping to have it at NNL East. Now even if they have one in stock they won't be at NNL East. I'm hoping I get another chance but for now I am slapping myself across the head for being an idiot and not filling out the form in Sylvania in October. :angry::wacko::(

I just recently received a rather large order I placed back in October.....many others probably just like me who have been procrastinating on getting the parts to restore their old promos and kits completely forgetting that these fine people would eventually retire....now the rush to order is on.

Lucky for me I now have almost everything I need to complete stuff that has been sitting in my stash for decades. I've got one more wrap-up order planned for the Fall.

I met Don and Carol back in the mid 80's in Toledo. Have bought a bunch of stuff from them and it is ALL of the BEST quality. Sad to hear they are closing, sad for me, and those in the hobby.......purely selfish for sure! But, I understand completely, and wish them all the best. They have given us SO much over these past years!

A wise man once told me some words of wisdom regarding resin parts: "If you find something and you want it, buy it before it's too late."

Hopefully I will get a chance to place an order for a couple of things they have. If not, it's my fault for waiting too long and not heeding those words of wisdom!

In any event, I wish Don and Carol a much deserved retirement. In a perfect world they would find a buyer for their business and it would continue on and I certainly hope for that.

In the meantime, modelers in the Southwest can plan to be at DESERT SCALE CLASSIC on April 9, 2016 in Phoenix.  

Bob Zetterman, a long-time dealer for Modelhaus will be at DSC12 with a substantial inventory of Modelhaus components, parts, and kits for sale.  

FYI:  There's another thread on the same topic:  "Modelhaus Website Shut Down (Temporary)."

I too regret not recently ordering more from Modelhaus . I did relay a joke to Carol and Don concerning the delay and resulting problems they have . I am definitely a Master of Cliches if no one has not noticed .. lol .. I reminisced using this as a comfort ; "When you are rectum deep in Alligators . It is hard to remember you are in the Swamp to Drain it ."  They are doing their level best as honest , hard working people . I appreciate them . The demand has outstripped the supply .. the Business needs a break to catch up .  I pray I did not get my last parts from Modelhaus . I will accept this for fact rather than knowing any harm befell the Holthouse Family in any way due to overwork .    Thanx ..

Does Bob Zetterman have a contact here on the site? Does he do mail orders? I would love to see what he has.

He sells only at selected swap meets; he'll be at DESERT SCALE CLASSIC on April 9.  After that, he'll be in Colorado for the Summer.

I'm a little bothered by the idea that just came to mind...that perhaps people, upon hearing that the Modelhaus was eventually (inevitably?) going to close, began ordering enormous stacks of parts to sell later on Ebay.

I hope I'm wrong and it's just enthusiastic builders stocking up on excellent quality parts for their own builds. Either way, I hope Don and Carol can retire on their own terms, and not be yarded around too much by their loyal customers :P

I haven't ordered anything from Modelhaus for better than a year just because of the issues they're having.

not because I can't wait for an order, but because of the sympathy I have for their situation.

There's nothing that I need bad enough that it can't wait until things die down a little for them.

If I miss out & they close shop before I order anything, so be it.

I really find it hard to believe that when they cease operations they will just toss out all of the molds, etc. that they have & move on.

There has to be a large amount of money tied up in the operation & I can't believe that they won't at a minimum sell it to another enterprising individual, who hopefully will carry on with the business.

There has to be money in it or Don & Carol would not have been doing it this long.

I wish them a wonderful retirement.

Steve

I'm a little bothered by the idea that just came to mind...that perhaps people, upon hearing that the Modelhaus was eventually (inevitably?) going to close, began ordering enormous stacks of parts to sell later on Ebay.

I hope I'm wrong and it's just enthusiastic builders stocking up on excellent quality parts for their own builds. Either way, I hope Don and Carol can retire on their own terms, and not be yarded around too much by their loyal customers :P

Well, if someone hadn't already thought of that idea, you've certainly published it and planted the seed now!  :unsure:

Look at it the other way:  If that's so, it means parts will be out there for years to come.  They will be pricey, but they'll be out there.  

And, another thought:  If Don and Carol sell the business, molds, and rights to someone after they finally retire, the 'speculators' will be thoroughly burned when the products they've bought to re-sell at high prices turn out to be available at normal prices from the successors of Don and Carol.  Sweet.  <_<