Model Cars Magazine Forum

TRULY RAREST OF THE RARE 1/25 MUSCLE CAR KITS OF ALL TIME

Ok, this is the mustang kit I am talking about.  I have an automatic search on eBay and it comes up maybe once a year and it almost always goes for near $100.  Fastbacks are a dime a dozen but the coupe, now that is a rare horse. 

mustang.jpg

I was lucky to find one in a old 5&10 in Oldtown, ME back in 1973. Rare back then too. 70 of same kit not common either.

Edited by Bob Ellis
spelling error

Is it just me, or is the Johan 1968 Olds 442 virtually non-existent.

I've casually looked for an example of the kit for several years on ebay & I can only remember seeing a couple in all of that time.

I can't even seem to find a photo of what the box looked like!

The promos show up occasionally, but the kit seems to be nearly extinct.

Steve

I'm tellin' ya, there's a market of those old Mustang coupes/ notch backs.

That OLD AMT '65-'66 has a great body and an abomination for a chassis.

Revell / Monogram, finish off your "65-'66 series. Do the Coupe / Notchback.

Few years ago I was lucky enough to score a mint, unbuilt '66 HT/Conv off eBay for a reasonable price. Some fantastic parts in that kit, including the half-top and a full-width "grille" taillight. It give me such pleasure unbuilt in its original cardboard womb that I will never build it.

I can't even seem to find a photo of what the box looked like!

Steve

I have a vague memory of seeing the box. I think it was a "large, flat" box, like the Javelin that year. Also like the Javelin, it included a complete Logghe-type funny car chassis.

Of course, I could be wrong....

Sorry...thought I'd found a '68, but it was a '70. Numbers are hard.  ;)

I have a vague memory of seeing the box. I think it was a "large, flat" box, like the Javelin that year. Also like the Javelin, it included a complete Logghe-type funny car chassis.

Of course, I could be wrong....

Related image

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

'68 or '69 Jo-Han ANYTHING has always been tough to find.  I've seen only a couple of unbuilt '68 4-4-2 kits over the years, and one of those belongs to me.  The Javelin kits are probably as tough, or tougher, particularly the '69. 

The Revell coupe/convertible isn't a bad kit but certainly not worth $100 but I see people pay crazy money for $2 kits so it all depends how bad you want it.  I plan to build all my old and harder to finds kits before anything released in the sat 20 years because you just do not see many of the 50 year old kits built.

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

'68 or '69 Jo-Han ANYTHING has always been tough to find.  I've seen only a couple of unbuilt '68 4-4-2 kits over the years, and one of those belongs to me.  The Javelin kits are probably as tough, or tougher, particularly the '69.

I went on a Javelin buying jag on ePay 6 or 8 years ago. I ended up with three or four '68 promos and one builtup '70--all restorable (I've got one done already) but was never able to score a '69 (promo or kit) or a '70 promo.

Oh, I'd SEE them, they just went for more than my high bid. (At least I made somebody else PAY for them, bwahahahahaha.)  

I went on a Javelin buying jag on ePay 6 or 8 years ago. I ended up with three or four '68 promos and one builtup '70--all restorable (I've got one done already) but was never able to score a '69 (promo or kit) or a '70 promo.

Oh, I'd SEE them, they just went for more than my high bid. (At least I made somebody else PAY for them, bwahahahahaha.)  

I picked up a few in the Eighties and early Nineties, when hardly anyone was paying attention.  The Toledo meets were especially good for me.  Strangely, the '70 was one I'd see more often than the others.  I've got what I "need", but wouldn't turn down others that turn up at the right price.  That doesn't happen anymore though. 

Ok, I have seen this box.

Just wasn't sure if this was the original stock version, or possibly a later funny car reincarnation.

Steve

The Jo-Han '68-'70 4-4-2 kits (annuals, not the USA Oldies '70 reissue) all included stock, mild custom, and funny car versions.  For '71, Jo-Han did two "annual" kits of some of their subjects: one stock or drag, the other funny car only.  So there were two '71 4-4-2 kits.