Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you listen to while you build???

slusher

Can't forget The CBS Radio Mystery Theater! There are some episodes on YouTube, but I have all the shows that ran from 1974-82 on CD's. Makes for some interesting listening, and some of the shows have the commercials on them that originally aired on the broadcasts. Some of them are a scream! :D

I like it quiet now that I'm old and grouchy, but before, I would listen to jazz or rock or funk. I still like all that music, but only when I'm driving and can turn it up LOUD!

I used to listen to my music LOUD enough to "feel" it, and I'm sure that contributed to my tinnitus among other things. Now I try to avoid loud noises as much as I can, as they can make my tinnitus worse.

Have you listened to "X Minus 1" and "Dimension X"  at archive.org ? Great old NBC radio plays from the '50s with mostly great quality audio. "Mind Webs" is pretty good too. It's from the '70s,I think but the audio quality is kind of spotty.

I've been listening to this for a while now. Heard al the shows a couple times but still good to listen to while building.

https://archive.org/details/XMinus1_A

I don't listen to those regularly, but I've listened to a few episodes and enjoyed them.

My current list consists of:
-Decoder Ring Theatre (full-cast, episodic, old-time radio style audio drama, alternating between a noir-ish detective storyline and a masked-vigilante storyline, with occasional special content)
-Escape Pod (science-fiction anthology stories presented audio-book style, with a single narrator)
-The DrabbleCast (
weird-fiction anthology stories also presented audio-book style)
-Welcome to Night Vale (episodic dark comedy, presented as a community radio broadcast from a small desert town where all sorts of weird and supernatural occurrences are taken as perfectly normal by the residents)
-Alice Isn't Dead (supernatural horror, presented as the CB radio ramblings of a truck driver trying to find out what happened to her missing wife)

Another good one I haven't kept up with is The Icebox Radio Theater. Their story "The Thing On The Ice" is one of the scariest things 'I've ever heard, and all without graphic violence.

I don't listen to those regularly, but I've listened to a few episodes and enjoyed them.

My current list consists of:
-Decoder Ring Theatre (full-cast, episodic, old-time radio style audio drama, alternating between a noir-ish detective storyline and a masked-vigilante storyline, with occasional special content)
-Escape Pod (science-fiction anthology stories presented audio-book style, with a single narrator)
-The DrabbleCast (
weird-fiction anthology stories also presented audio-book style)
-Welcome to Night Vale (episodic dark comedy, presented as a community radio broadcast from a small desert town where all sorts of weird and supernatural occurrences are taken as perfectly normal by the residents)
-Alice Isn't Dead (supernatural horror, presented as the CB radio ramblings of a truck driver trying to find out what happened to her missing wife)

Another good one I haven't kept up with is The Icebox Radio Theater. Their story "The Thing On The Ice" is one of the scariest things 'I've ever heard, and all without graphic violence.

Yes,, Escape pod has some really good stuff there. I haven't listened to any in a while because it was throwing up a warning on my Norton but it seems clear the last few times I've checked in on it. 

I'm not familiar with the other ones but they sound interesting. I'll have to check them out when I get a chance.

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

I love Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. More so, the original version with Richard Burton narrating. Than the Liam Neeson version. For some reason, it seems like very few people in this country (the United States) are familiar with this great album. And there is no US compatible DVD of their live stage show with Liam Neeson as the narrator. I'd love see that someday. The versions on YouTube are not very good.

Besides that, I talk to myself a lot when I build models. Or do anything else for that matter. Because I like hearing interesting people talk! ?

Anything through my earphone. Led Zeppelin, Guns n' Roses, Oasis, Eric Clapton, Beatles, The Stone Rose, Jennifer Love Hewitt, The doors...so on. Mostly Led Zeppelin though.

Me too.  Lately though, I'm enjoying Mark Knopfler....loud!

Usually the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, Sheryl Crowe, Beatles, Garth Brooks, Chris Ledoux, the Beach Boys, George Strait, Reba McIntyre, Kansas, Moody Blues, Chicago, Brian Wilson, Stan Kenton, and often the voices in Tom Geiger's head, the voices in Harry's head, and the voices in Agent G's head.  I try not to listen to the voices in my head because they generally get me in trouble.   B) 

I love Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. More so, the original version with Richard Burton narrating. Than the Liam Neeson version. For some reason, it seems like very few people in this country (the United States) are familiar with this great album. And there is no US compatible DVD of their live stage show with Liam Neeson as the narrator. I'd love see that someday. The versions on YouTube are not very good.

Besides that, I talk to myself a lot when I build models. Or do anything else for that matter. Because I like hearing interesting people talk! ?

I don't know what computer you have, but my old IMac is all-regions compatible with PAL DVDs. So I go ahead and order European versions if that's all that's available. Check your system's capabilities.

I've got an Ipod classic with slightly over 21,000 songs on it.  It's plugged into a small shelf system stereo with a docking station, and I keep it on shuffle most times.  I've got everything on it from Americana to soul and R&B, garage rock to a few Broadway show tunes, '60s folk to Grateful Dead to some metal.  '50s, '60s, '70s and on up.  Never a dull moment, no commercials, and I'm in charge of the playlist!

I can go either way, I don't make any decisions about it. If the TV or radio is on when I decide to start something, it stays on, if it is off, it stays off. But, when I actually lived with people, I could never seem to get anything accomplished if they were around!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually find this kind of music very relaxing. I love organ music! I also discovered a good band called the Southern Backtones. The lead singer is an avid storm chaser and he incorporates his music into his storm videos. Simply bliss!

Edited by metalhead