Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Model A Roadster ArtDeco/Coachbuilt/Streamliner -DONE!

Impalow

Thank you guys!!!!

Radiator and brackets made!     I can't say enough about how nice this American racing miniatures engine is... its amazing really... that upper rad pipe is a piece of art.

Remade those scoops and added trim everywhere... the fab list is getting pretty short!   wooohooo

Hi Impalow,

Your work here is outstanding and I am thoroughly enjoying watching your progress. As well as the design aesthetic which is beautiful, I am also fascinated by your use of technology. I have a vinyl cutter, CAD software and recently added a 3D printer and am currently working through the learning curve with the aim of doing things similar to what you have done here.

Something about your design struck me this morning. It may be too late to raise it now but, to me, the doors look a little small and their stark, straight lines seem slightly at odds with the gracefulness of the rest of the model. Do you think that something like shown below would be helpful?

Streamliner.thumb.jpg.07ca2de56404e3293a

A little earlier you canvassed opinions on methods of attaching the wheel pods to the body and someone suggested a wing shaped structure to bridge across the gap. I was thinking of something similar which I thought could be awesome. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I can't wait to see what you do with paint!!!

Thank you Bob and Richard!

Hi Impalow,

Your work here is outstanding and I am thoroughly enjoying watching your progress. As well as the design aesthetic which is beautiful, I am also fascinated by your use of technology. I have a vinyl cutter, CAD software and recently added a 3D printer and am currently working through the learning curve with the aim of doing things similar to what you have done here.

Something about your design struck me this morning. It may be too late to raise it now but, to me, the doors look a little small and their stark, straight lines seem slightly at odds with the gracefulness of the rest of the model. Do you think that something like shown below would be helpful?

A little earlier you canvassed opinions on methods of attaching the wheel pods to the body and someone suggested a wing shaped structure to bridge across the gap. I was thinking of something similar which I thought could be awesome. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I can't wait to see what you do with paint!!!

Thank you David!

That is awesome!  I agree 100% with that door line suggestion. I probably wont try and tackle it at this point, mainly because I am really really bad at scribing lines, and worry it may be the death of this project.   I don't know why, I try and practice, read up on everything but i always seem to bugger something up and it looks awful.  But yes, the door needs to be a bit bigger from a stylistic point.  Hopefully it since the car is going to be painted a darker tone it will be less noticeable, if it was going to be a lighter color i would probably have to do something. 

Side note... made some exhaust last night... going to make some polished brass hangers in a couple spots.

Tonight is fender trim, and taillights... which i had totally forgotten... then primer by the weekend... i hope.

hahaha... i'm petrified..  I plan builds specifically around not doing any line scribing...

Well, if you need a rationale other than being afraid of scribing... I was thinking that retaining the original door configuration helps to subtly reveal this coachbuilt beauty's humble Model A roadster origins.

I am tempted to get some of the wood decals.Were you able to order from a U.S.supplier or from Germany?Also how did you convert the price to U.S.dollars for payment?Thanks.

I might be able to order Uschi products from one of my wholesalers still. I can check for you and let you know.

If I can, I'll be happy to do a mail-order for you.

Charlie Larkin

My suggestion was only a suggestion for how ro solve a design problem.If you HAVE to leave the body stock for some reason then please do so as it is surely not REALLY a problem only someone's suggestion as how to add to the art deco design theme.

My comment was based on one of Andy's on Dec 20. And he says he was going to try and avoid excessive mods to the original body. My bad, he never said he couldn't. I should never, ever rely on my memory.:o

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Thank you guys!   I'm really enjoying this one!

My comment was based on one of Andy's on Dec 20. And he says he was going to try and avoid excessive mods to the original body. My bad, he never said he couldn't. I should never, ever rely on my memory.:o

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

My suggestion was only a suggestion for how ro solve a design problem.If you HAVE to leave the body stock for some reason then please do so as it is surely not REALLY a problem only someone's suggestion as how to add to the art deco design theme.

I hope that's not true! Ha

Well, if you need a rationale other than being afraid of scribing... I was thinking that retaining the original door configuration helps to subtly reveal this coachbuilt beauty's humble Model A roadster origins.

Hahaha.. No ruffled feathers.... Andy was just being funny because he made his into a roadster pickup for the same contest. The body "mostly" stock thing was a personal challenge to myself...  but let it be known I am just a giant chicken when it comes to line scribing.. haha

Heres a quick weekend update:

Steering linkage:

Custom airbox under the dash:

Aint no party like a primer party:

Milliput sculpted shift boot that i dropped and will need to remake... oops.

Paint on some of the interior bits, still need some shading or something to add more definition, I'm going to work on that. (maroon in the bottle is body color;)):

Thanks james and scott!

Made some more progress last night...

Re-Shaped and cleaned up some monogram 37 ford sedan taillights... added a brass trim ring, Ill turn some acrylic bullet lenses later.

mounted to the insides of the fenders.

Everything is primed... well all the major things...   for the most part everything looks pretty good too... some funky body work to tackle, but not as bad as i was thinking..

Got some color onto the dash and chassis pan... these will get those woodgrain decals... but i wanted a nice undertone in case they were slightly transparent.