Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's next from Moebius - How about a 70 F-100 4x4 and a 65-66 F-100

SteveG

On 31-12-2017 at 9:27 PM, mikemodeler said:

Any more news on these kits? When will the 4x4 '70 kit be out? Will we see the 65/66 kits in 2018?

My plastic pusher said Q1 for the 4x4.

The '65-66 I'm thinking Q1 2019 at the earliest, since they only exist in non finalized 3D files.

• 2 months later...
On Saturday, January 06, 2018 at 2:14 PM, SteveG said:

Box art has been completed and approved for '70 4x4.   Tooling work has started on the 65-66 F-100 parts,  should have a better idea once test shots are done and reviewed.

-Steve

Any news or updates on the 65-66 F-100's yet?

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, thatz4u said:

Any news or updates on the 65-66 F-100's yet?

1st round test shot's were on display at DAAM show near Detroit on Sunday where Dave revealed the 4th bed-style will be a aftermarket Utility Bed which will fit any of the 65-72 long bed kits.   2nd round of test shot parts should be coming next month.  

-Steve

On 3/28/2018 at 12:55 PM, SteveG said:

1st round test shot's were on display at DAAM show near Detroit on Sunday where Dave revealed the 4th bed-style will be a aftermarket Utility Bed which will fit any of the 65-72 long bed kits.   2nd round of test shot parts should be coming next month.  

-Steve

Steve, along with the Flareside Bed (which dated from 1953 with only a couple of detail changes, and ran all the way out to about 1978).

Art

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, SteveG said:

-Steve

Steve, are there photo's of this utility bed?

7 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

Steve, along with the Flareside Bed (which dated from 1953 with only a couple of detail changes, and ran all the way out to about 1978).

Art

Just advising that it's a drop fit for any of the Moebius Ford Long bed kits.  I'm sure it would fit lots of other pickup kits with simple mounting changes.   

-Steve

20 hours ago, SteveG said:

Just advising that it's a drop fit for any of the Moebius Ford Long bed kits.  I'm sure it would fit lots of other pickup kits with simple mounting changes.   

-Steve

Just to be clear, are we getting  the correct long bed Flareside? The Ford 8' Flareside is not as simple as stretching the bed, as is with the case of building a longbed Chevy stepside. The longbed  8' Ford Flareside is deeper and wider  than the 6 1/2 Flareside already covered excellently be AMT's '53 F 100.The most notable feature in the subtle inner fender tubs.

IMG_5500.JPG

He did say aftermarket utility bed, so possibly some kind of toolbox-sided service box or a flatdeck like the one in the amt/lindberg '34 pickups.

The flareside bed will be another '53-'72 shortbox.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎30 at 7:04 AM, Art Anderson said:

Art

mike

Edited by mk11

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, SteveG said:

Just advising that it's a drop fit 

Oh, I see,  " it's " is referring to the utility bed, confusing because it was a resonse that quoted Art's Flareside box comment. I thought there might be a chance of getting a never been done before 8' Flareside option.

Edited by leafsprings

Here's a couple of photos from the DAAM shop display last Sunday.   There are no plans for a 8" Flareside bed at this time.  Maybe one of the resin caster will step up and fill the gap finally.  

2v2JBqrmLxvL75L.jpg

2v2JBqriFxvL75L.jpg

This is the Utility bed I mentioned.  Anyone recognize a brand ?  Could be a Reading but I don't know for sure. 

-Steve

13 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Could be a Knapheide also.  Looks like a more modern utility bed, thought they would do something 60s style.  Though I have no idea what a '60s service bed would look like. 

It wouldn't surprise me if that style of bed has been use for more then 50-60 years with minor changes.  A google search of Reading's history show's 1955 for their start with a new line of lower profile bodies in 1959.    https://www.readingbody.com/about/history/#/step-1

Edited by SteveG

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

The squarish wheel opening reminds of a Reading body but Reading, Knapheide, and Omaha bodies all look pretty much the same. There's only so much personality you can put in a bunch of flat sheet metal.

There's only so much personality you can put in a bunch of flat sheet metal.

Which is why I'm am so perplexed at you guy's obsession with pick up cars.

This is a Utility Body Company brand body, assuming it is the same vintage as the truck it is mounted on this would be an appropriate style for the Moebius Ford trucks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stahl Truck Bodies was founded in the late 1940s. 

The Utility Body Company started building truck bodies in 1953.

Reading Truck Body started in 1955.

Knapheide was founded as a wagon builder in the late 1800s, and began building truck bodies in the 1920s, but they didn't begin offering service truck bodies until the late 1960s.

Those would be my guesses as to the likely suspects for a vintage utility body. The kit piece very much resembles a modern-ish utility body from Reading or Knapheide, but as seen in the photo above the basic style really hasn't changed that much in 50 years.

I bet Moebius sells a lot of kits just for that body. It should look right on just about any full size truck from the late 1960s through 2000.

Edited by Aaronw

10 hours ago, SteveG said:

Here's a couple of photos from the DAAM shop display last Sunday.   There are no plans for a 8" Flareside bed at this time.  Maybe one of the resin caster will step up and fill the gap finally.  

2v2JBqriFxvL75L.jpg

Cool!

I wanted to order one from the Modelhaus, for like forever, but never did....so good to see that Moebius is thinking outside the standard box

;)

Thanks for the pics Steve!