Model Cars Magazine Forum

What makes you decide to "curb-side" a model?

As a newbie just getting back into the hobby, I'm really surprised to see how many guys either don't give much effort on the engine, or omit it entirely. I knew when I got back into the hobby that I wouldn't be placing much emphasis on the engine because of the way I'll be displaying my builds. I'm not sure why, but I just assumed all you more experienced builders always did super detailing under the hood. Yeah, I know I should never assume, and it looks like this is one of those times when it turned out I shouldn't have. Interesting to learn.

Many Japanese automotive model kits (current and older releases) did not include either any engine details, or just included a rudimentary plastic insert with the top of the engine compartment molded on it. Many snap kits also do not include engine details (just whatever is molded with the under-body). Those kits are curbside by design.:)

I know an excellent modeler whose models often wins trophies at contests (with super-detailed engines). He sometimes builds the most basic curbside models (perfectly-painted bodies) with nothing more than black-tinted windows and a flat piece of styrene for the undercarriage with the wheels simply glued to it.  I guess he sometimes needs a break from detail modeling.

Modern NASCAR kits are ideal for curbside style building. It get pretty tedious building the same thing, over and over! 

So you are saying its like building muscle car kits with the same ole big block engines, yeah, that would bore me too, but NASCAR, nah, love it, and love the tediousness of it, cant get enough of it.

Edited by martinfan5

So you are saying its like building muscle car kits with the same ole big block engines, yeah, that would bore me too, but NASCAR, nah, love it, and love the tediousness of it, cant get enough of it.

Nope, not at all, at least Muscle Cars have options, NASCAR kits do not. Paint, decals and everything else is the same. 

Most muscle cars (and their non muscle) cousins had many engine options.  You can build a 302 powered Mach1 or a plain jane coupe with a 428 or 429.  I guess just a someone can build a dozen Mustangs of the same years 71/72 that are not the same (coupe, conv, sportsroof, Mach1, Boss, HO, Sprint, six banger, 302, 351 2v or 4v or 429 - the are all sorts of combinations would be akin to building a fleet of Bascar kits all with different markings with slightly different engines.  What makes the car hobby so great is you can build factory stock or not, i.e., you are not limited to making an exact replica of anything.  You can chose whatever color or wheels or engine you want and enter a show and not have anyone say this ot that is incorrect.  Build what makes you happy which for most of us is not building the same exact thing twice.

Most muscle cars (and their non muscle) cousins had many engine options.  You can build a 302 powered Mach1 or a plain jane coupe with a 428 or 429.  I guess just a someone can build a dozen Mustangs of the same years 71/72 that are not the same (coupe, conv, sportsroof, Mach1, Boss, HO, Sprint, six banger, 302, 351 2v or 4v or 429 - the are all sorts of combinations would be akin to building a fleet of Bascar kits all with different markings with slightly different engines.  What makes the car hobby so great is you can build factory stock or not, i.e., you are not limited to making an exact replica of anything.  You can chose whatever color or wheels or engine you want and enter a show and not have anyone say this ot that is incorrect.  Build what makes you happy which for most of us is not building the same exact thing twice.

I still personally find muscle cars very boring and would rather build the same ole NASCAR kit over and over and over and over again with different decals on the body.  But that is what I enjoy.

Not trying to hijack this great post, but it got me thinking about another aspect of "curbside". Take for instance a newer Fujimi kit, hate to say it, but most of their new stuff is nothing but "curbside" How many of you out there still detail paint the undercarriage?......NOT me, unless there is a part that is totally visible from table-level. To me its a waste of time, supplies, and money.

How many of you out there still detail paint the undercarriage?......NOT me, 

I do detail paint the underside of my models. I do not have to meet a production goal or a deadline with my models, so they just take the time they take. To think of it, I have never skipped the engine (if provided) either. Some of my engines are detailed, some are not - but they are all properly painted. As for the undercarriage, my approach is that if they bothered to put the detail in the kit, then I should paint the detail accordingly. I haven't thought it over all that well, but I figure it comes down to getting the most out of the money I spent buying the kit. Or getting it as good as it can be without getting into adding stuff. Not to mention going through the motions just for the exercise for the sake of keeping the skills up. (That doesn't really make sense either, but go figure).

Not trying to hijack this great post, but it got me thinking about another aspect of "curbside". Take for instance a newer Fujimi kit, hate to say it, but most of their new stuff is nothing but "curbside" How many of you out there still detail paint the undercarriage?......NOT me, unless there is a part that is totally visible from table-level. To me its a waste of time, supplies, and money.

For me it really depends on my mood and /or enthusiasm at that time. 

Take this one for example. I wanted to see if I could add the body color along the rockers like the 1/1. BUT using a rattle can. Usually I just detail only what can be seen with it sitting  in my case20170331_090934.thumb.jpg.285cc2dc53ccf0

My mantra is build what interests you and build it how you would like to.  But try to learn something with each build.

I will build curbside (usually) if the model comes that way and I am interested in the topic.  Otherwise, I build to make it look as realistic as I can, which includes engine bay and interior detail, but almost always not opening doors or trunk.

I have taken the occasional step to make a curbside into a full detail, but the topic was very interesting at the time and I wanted to do it that way.  It does take a lot of work though.  In 1994 I started with a Fujimi curbside and after kitbashing and 200 hours it became this.

26.jpg

For me it really depends on my mood and /or enthusiasm at that time. 

Take this one for example. I wanted to see if I could add the body color along the rockers like the 1/1. BUT using a rattle can. Usually I just detail only what can be seen with it sitting  in my case20170331_090934.thumb.jpg.285cc2dc53ccf0

Looks pretty good to me, but I've never done a replica stock American car myself, NICE!

I do detail paint the underside of my models. I do not have to meet a production goal or a deadline with my models, so they just take the time they take. To think of it, I have never skipped the engine (if provided) either. Some of my engines are detailed, some are not - but they are all properly painted. As for the undercarriage, my approach is that if they bothered to put the detail in the kit, then I should paint the detail accordingly. I haven't thought it over all that well, but I figure it comes down to getting the most out of the money I spent buying the kit. Or getting it as good as it can be without getting into adding stuff. Not to mention going through the motions just for the exercise for the sake of keeping the skills up. (That doesn't really make sense either, but go figure).

Man I wish I could build like you: "they take the time they take"  -honestly I keep trying to build that way, but I,ve had years and years of cranking-out super detailed builds every month, then something happened a few years ago, and I was lucky to get one done in a year......that bothers the heck out of me! I have SOOOOO many that I want to build to my present standard of finish that I will never get them done before I die.......that doesn't work for me, especially knowing that I have nobody to will them to, and i'll be buggered if somebody who has no interest in model cars, gets them. This is why I wont waste any time on the bottom of a curbside.

For me modelling is a time vs. a reward issue.  I don't have a lot of time to devote to building models, and at some point I have to complete them or too much builds up on the workbench.  Or worse, I start to lose parts.

I will put an engine in a model if it comes with one.  I will paint it the proper color, but I do not wire or plumb it.  I will do some basic detail to a chassis, but once again will not get carried away.  I display my models on a shelf with the hoods down, so detail in the engine bay or the chassis will not be seen.

One of my most recent builds turned out to be a curbside.  It was a Jo Han AMX.  The engine and transmission were warped and there was a serious gap where the sides glued together.  The amount of time it was going to take to fix was not worth it, so it became a curbside. A picture is below.

DSC 0488

I haven't bought a curbside kit since my Snap-Tite days back in the 70's. All my models have engines and I build them for me to look at and flick open that hood and admire my own work. I can still remember how the pushrod engines of the past sound and I can look at my models and recollect those days. Part of the fun for me.

I do for the most part.

AMT '71 Duster chassis fits it just fine...

Sure does, seen it done many times.  Think you missed my point:

Some people have done it, to their credit, but I just can't get excited enough to put in that effort for that subject.  However, I do like it enough that I bought one, and after I build it I'll be fine with it sitting on the shelf with nothing under the hood.  Same goes for the AMT '66 Mustang and the MPC '75 Dodge Dart, and I'm sure some others I can't think of right now.

Maybe I should also add that I can't justify the cost of killing a Duster kit just to upgrade the under hood and chassis of the Dart.  That's just for myself, totally understand why many people do it....