Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan prices $$$$

I love Jo-Hans, these are the Jo-Hans I've collected over the last 10 years, mostly from eBay...most pretty reasonable prices.    I've got another 75 or so in storage that I bought from before 2008, along w/ ones I built as a kid in the 80s. 

IMG-4837.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I love Jo-Hans, these are the Jo-Hans I've collected over the last 10 years, mostly from eBay...most pretty reasonable prices.    I've got another 75 or so in storage that I bought from before 2008, along w/ ones I built as a kid in the 80s.

IMG-4837.JPG

nice collection

The only exception seems to be the promos. They were molded from acetate and warp pretty badly, and who wants a bent '56 DeSoto? The late 80's/early '90's X-El versions were molded from polystyrene and don't warp, so it's one of very few instances where the reissues fetch more than the originals. Other than maybe the '59 Rambler wagon reissue, most of the "newest" JoHan stuff is pushing 25 or more years old, and by that time Johan wasn't pumping out thousands of kits at a time to begin with. Simple supply and demand. 

25 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

The only exception seems to be the promos. They were molded from acetate and warp pretty badly, and who wants a bent '56 DeSoto? The late 80's/early '90's X-El versions were molded from polystyrene and don't warp, so it's one of very few instances where the reissues fetch more than the originals. Other than maybe the '59 Rambler wagon reissue, most of the "newest" JoHan stuff is pushing 25 or more years old, and by that time Johan wasn't pumping out thousands of kits at a time to begin with. Simple supply and demand. 

Oh yeah! Check out the prices of X-EL '59 Dodge promos lately?? Yikes! :o

I'm glad I got a couple of the kits when I did.........those can hit you hard in the wallet too nowadays!

1 hour ago, Chuck Most said:

Some of the X-EL stuff is molded from ABS (same stuff the "dark gray" Plastruct is made of).  It won't take styrene cement, and is harder to cut.  But you can work with it.

The acetate stuff is low-demand in most cases.  I won't touch them.  

24 minutes ago, Mark said:

Some of the X-EL stuff is molded from ABS (same stuff the "dark gray" Plastruct is made of).

I thought my '56 Olds seemed different from the others - that must be why. The ABS ones seem to have a glossier finish than the styrene ones.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Some of the X-EL stuff is molded from ABS (same stuff the "dark gray" Plastruct is made of).  It won't take styrene cement, and is harder to cut.  But you can work with it.

The acetate stuff is low-demand in most cases.  I won't touch them.  

Forgot about those- I have yet to run into one but I've heard of them. 

I was checking out a kit on ebay a few minutes ago. The seller wrote the following:

"Awesome vintage Jo-Han Kit. Appears to be all there, but Please refer to the photos for what’s included as I am not an expert. Actual item is pictured. Thanks!"

Appears to be all there.....Not an expert.....Cut the poop already, man. The price he's asking for this kit, and other items he's selling, indicates otherwise. I contacted him and told him to inventory what's in the box against what is shown in the instruction sheet, which is prominently visible in the photos he posted.

• Like 1

When the buyer discovers that parts are missing, the seller will claim it "appeared" all parts were there, but I stated I'm not an expert.  Ebay will back up the seller - especially if they have sold a lot of items.  Many sellers are too lazy to even clean the dirty and dusty models.  I like when you can clearly see paint scrapes and the seller states that it should clean up nicely or that the defects should polish out.

14 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I was checking out a kit on ebay a few minutes ago. The seller wrote the following:

"Awesome vintage Jo-Han Kit. Appears to be all there, but Please refer to the photos for what’s included as I am not an expert. Actual item is pictured. Thanks!"

Appears to be all there.....Not an expert.....Cut the poop already, man. The price he's asking for this kit, and other items he's selling, indicates otherwise. I contacted him and told him to inventory what's in the box against what is shown in the instruction sheet, which is prominently visible in the photos he posted.

28 minutes ago, Motor City said:

When the buyer discovers that parts are missing, the seller will claim it "appeared" all parts were there, but I stated I'm not an expert.  Ebay will back up the seller - especially if they have sold a lot of items.  Many sellers are too lazy to even clean the dirty and dusty models.  I like when you can clearly see paint scrapes and the seller states that it should clean up nicely or that the defects should polish out.

16 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The seller replied and thanked me. He said that he works and doesn't have the time to check the kits. :rolleyes:

I would think that with 1000+ positive feedback and no negatives(if it's who I think it is), he's probably not scamming people. ;)

9 hours ago, Bucky said:

Another one I was bidding on sold for $76.00. 1966 Rambler American Convertible. Flat box, still sealed.

Probably a good price, but I let it go to someone else.

Yes, another very good price.

Think of it this way.

Most new kits sell in the vicinity of $30.00.

I will gladly trade you a pair of Linberg/AMT '64 Dodge kits for an unopened Johan "flat box" kit of any kind!

A total no brainer IMO. ;)

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 5/21/2018 at 1:49 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

I admit to speculating on these kits 35-40 years ago when the rumor surfaced that the plant or their warehouse had burned down and they were out of business; eventually I sold about a dozen USA Oldies kits for a nice profit and kept a few to build. 

Hope someday someone will repop the correct interiors for the '62 Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth in resin.

I was unaware that the interiors were incorrect for these kits (although someone in this thread mentioned the Chrysler had a’ ‘65 interior). I did know the dashboards were incorrect for the Dodge and Plymouth. However I attended a NNL event a few weeks ago and discovered that Parts by Parks has the correct dashboards in resin! I bought 2 each to add to the kits I have. It would appear that I need to trade a Dodge ht for a Plymouth ht to balance out my collection unless I can find 1 or 2 at a reasonable price 

Edited by #1 model citizen

Don't throw away the Dodge and Plymouth interiors from the USA Oldies '62s - they're actually promo interiors for the '64 Dodge and Plymouth, which have the correct bench seats and door panels. Jo-Han released the Fury kit with a Sport Fury interior, and the Polara kit with a Polara 500 interior, both of which are incorrect, so the USA Oldies issues can help fix that.

31 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Don't throw away the Dodge and Plymouth interiors from the USA Oldies '62s - they're actually promo interiors for the '64 Dodge and Plymouth, which have the correct bench seats and door panels. Jo-Han released the Fury kit with a Sport Fury interior, and the Polara kit with a Polara 500 interior, both of which are incorrect, so the USA Oldies issues can help fix that.

So I still need ’62 interior tubs to have correct interiors? Can they be easily modified to be correct? If I ever get around to building them and I don’t have or can’t find the correct tubs I will have to work with what I have…

9 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Yes; sometimes you can find junker original issue kits with good interiors. This is the correct '62 Dodge interior:

931247691_62dodgeinterior2.jpg.7c708fe474f8eb89b7c6b1b6540be134.jpg

628567712_62dodge.jpg.021c8c55492dbf621913dce4f247f876.jpg

And '62 Plymouth:

761053036_62Plymouthcorrectinterior.jpg.5e3fc9e7faadb3e63713b5b31949ed4a.jpg

1851857353_62Plymouthcorrectdashsteeringwheel.jpg.48340403e0ad9ec1ad2b0dae514fa58b.jpg

Happy hunting!

Thanks! The pics will greatly aide in the search. I think I need a boot the ‘62 Plymouth convertible too. Had the kit out a few days ago and now that piece is missing. I’m afraid it may have accidentally fallen into a pile of papers that went to the recycle bin ☹️

22 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Unless you feel like performing surgery to make them correct for a hardtop; besides yourself, who's going to know or care, right?

When I win the hundred million dollar lottery, me thinks I will tool up and release absolutely correct interiors for all the old Johans… Why? Just so I can chuckle when someone complains on the board that the window crank is a fifth of a millimeter off!

55 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Those tubs are correct only if they're used in '62 convertibles. If you have the hardtops, SOL.

I believe quite a few of the old annual AMT hardtop kits have convertible interiors. Never heard anyone complain about it back in the day. B)