Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's see your TV and movie cars!

Oldcarfan27

1 hour ago, disconovaman said:

Didn't Ponch replace his gold Pontiac with a brand new Blue one for the next season? I vaguely remember him with a blue 77/78 Trans-am...but maybe I'm wrong...

Yes indeed, but it was an '82

snap363.4.jpg

1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Edited by Daddyfink

On 6/19/2018 at 11:18 AM, Dann Tier said:

…..and  de-chromed grilles

Uh, that Trans Am doesn't have any chrome on it. Maybe you mean "monochromatic" grilles.

Actually, I think Ponch wimped out when he finally just bought a new car. Part of the fun of that show was knowing he had to keep rebuilding that old "bucket" between episodes. He was an amazing body man - he kept fixing that totalled wreck every couple of weeks!

BTW - I just noticed, he has the same license plate on the new car as the old car. How'd he do that? He must've known somebody at the DMV.

CaptureWiz5827.jpg.8dd8654fbf2aeb00605aee553abe6de7.jpg

i443775.jpg.df18cc34bd994490f23dd24e4c301923.jpg

As far as I know, in California back then, you couldn't transfer regular plates from one car to the next one, unless they were personalized plates. I know, I tried.

Sorry, back to the models.....

Edited by Oldcarfan27

On 6/16/2018 at 6:30 AM, MrObsessive said:

Looking over my collection of built kits, I just have one TV car! While the Mach 5 was just a "cartoon car", I tried to build what might be a street legal version if the car existed in 1:1. (Snip)

P4043803-vi.jpg

Ooh but they do now!!!!? or at least they did. Great model

https://www.therealmach5.com

https://www.youtube.com/embed/W4Pxx0GS-xY

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

23 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Ooh but they do now!!!!? or at least they did. Great model

https://www.therealmach5.com

https://www.youtube.com/embed/W4Pxx0GS-xY

Wow, thanks for the link! It's weird to see something I used to see all the time in a cartoon, driving around in 3D on the streets! :D

If it were mine, of course I'd make some changes to the appearance (slightly) but that's just me. As a kid, I used to hurry home from school to see Speed Racer on our local channel (sometimes there was competition with Dark Shadows), and it's hard to believe out of all the people that did the voices for the characters, only Corrine Orr (Trixie) is still alive-----albeit she's got to be in her 80's now. :blink:

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Uh, that Trans Am doesn't have any chrome on it. Maybe you mean "monochromatic" grilles.

Actually, I think Ponch wimped out when he finally just bought a new car. Part of the fun of that show was knowing he had to keep rebuilding that old "bucket" between episodes. He was an amazing body man - he kept fixing that totalled wreck every couple of weeks!

BTW - I just noticed, he has the same license plate on the new car as the old car. How'd he do that? He must've known somebody at the DMV.

CaptureWiz5827.jpg.8dd8654fbf2aeb00605aee553abe6de7.jpg

i443775.jpg.df18cc34bd994490f23dd24e4c301923.jpg

As far as I know, in California back then, you couldn't transfer regular plates from one car to the next one, unless they were personalized plates. I know, I tried.

Sorry, back to the models.....

It seems to me that any California licence plate with "PCE" on it is strictly a television programme and / or movie car (the first example that I noticed was the 1970-1971-1972 Valiants used in "Duel" --- the plate number was "149 PCE") . Perhaps the "PCE" translates to some acronym ? Perhaps , I don't know , "Public Cinema Enterprises" (just hazarding a guess) ? Truly , that blue / gold series of Calif plates would have a "P" as the first letter during 1976-1977 , assuming that it was a 'civilian' plate .

By 1980 , 1981 , California plates changed to a 7-character layout anyhow . If the makers ( et al. )  of CHiPs were to "tow-the-line" , the blue Bird's plate should've been to the effect of " 1PCE033 " .

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 3:24 PM, 1972coronet said:

It seems to me that any California licence plate with "PCE" on it is strictly a television programme and / or movie car (the first example that I noticed was the 1970-1971-1972 Valiants used in "Duel" --- the plate number was "149 PCE") . Perhaps the "PCE" translates to some acronym ? Perhaps , I don't know , "Public Cinema Enterprises" (just hazarding a guess) ? Truly , that blue / gold series of Calif plates would have a "P" as the first letter during 1976-1977 , assuming that it was a 'civilian' plate .

By 1980 , 1981 , California plates changed to a 7-character layout anyhow . If the makers ( et al. )  of CHiPs were to "tow-the-line" , the blue Bird's plate should've been to the effect of " 1PCE033 " .

Just found this on the web...

"The California DMV allows productions to use certain sequences that have not been issued to the public," he says. "The PCE is used as a passenger license plate and can end between 000-499. There is also a passenger PCI series and other sequences used for commercial vehicles."

On 6/24/2018 at 11:07 AM, Dann Tier said:

Img2010-01-08_0079.thumb.jpg.d4cea4064dbe5f20d68b633e0caa2f8c.jpg

Img2010-01-08_0082.thumb.jpg.fe1c9a02be001deaa0b1093960de987f.jpg

Img2010-01-08_0110.thumb.jpg.76b34430d76b60f62f2d6b71b3e33a51.thumb.jpg.6eaaea2abdc2cbfefc664b753e9c8b9a.jpg

Dann, I love these two cars! That Rolls looks very labor intensive, you must've made those decals. Very Groovy, Mann!

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever modelled John Lennon's personal Rolls. Now that was a wild, psychedelic ride!

Rolls-8.thumb.jpg.68df2623ee3fe962b58601e6efa1b719.jpg

Is that Aston Martin the Airfix, Nichimo or the Aurora kit? It does James Bond proud. 

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Here's a genuine PCE plate I found online somewhere, well over 499:

ca78.jpg.0db603c326049a1d6ee1639158851b3c.jpg

Did you buy it , or is it just an image you found online ? 

As a side note ; the 'Month' sticker started in 1976 , occupying the place formerly provided for another 'Year' sticker (e.g. , one side would have a "1972" sticker , the other a "1973" sticker) .

13 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Just found this on the web...

"The California DMV allows productions to use certain sequences that have not been issued to the public," he says. "The PCE is used as a passenger license plate and can end between 000-499. There is also a passenger PCI series and other sequences used for commercial vehicles."

Thanks much for this :-) What site provided that info ?

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks much for this :-) What site provided that info ?

Oh, sorry, forgot the link!  Found it on TV Guide site

http://www.tvguide.com/news/just-license-plate-1027190/

And if you are curious to what plates went to what...

http://cr8apl8b.blogspot.com/2007/05/tv-movie-license-plates-adam-12-malloy.html

Edited by Daddyfink