Model Cars Magazine Forum

When you REALLY love models on Ebay....

17 minutes ago, Xingu said:

Paul is a member here. Folks really love his models.

I have seen Pauls models. They are a work of art. What is crazy, is that the bid goes from the 366 mark, straight to 1300 dollars. Ebays system usually increases in increments. That is, it would show the next amount over $366. I have NEVER seen the amount jump this much without showing the bid history. Something is not right. Other Ebay guys I know have never seen this occur either. 

Edited by Southern Fried

4 minutes ago, Southern Fried said:

I have seen Pauls models. They are a work of art. What is crazy, is that the bid goes from the 366 mark, straight to 1300 dollars. Ebays system usually increases in increments. That is, it would show the next amount over $366. I have NEVER seen the amount jump this much without showing the bid history. Something is not right. Other Ebay guys I know have never seen this occur either. 

Maybe something to do with meeting the reserve?

The kid shows promise. :lol:

I don't envy him, I admire him. He not only does the kind of work on the kind of subjects the deep pockets pay up for, but he has masterfully connected himself to the right followers. You can bet he's as loyal to them as they are to him. That all doesn't just happen.

The pricing seems crazy, but those are excellent builds, and when you factor in the time it takes to build to that level, then it seems a little more palpable. When you see paintings and sculptures selling for thousands, this is really no different.

6 hours ago, suprafastcelica said:

check the sold listings, i also looked at his feedback as a seller too. He sold a model for just under 5K.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/robbbbbb57/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Wow!

I was surprised when I looked at these photos.

Paul built a '60 Dodge Dart that is nearly an exact twin to the Dart that I built!

The roof treatment & the wheels are a little different.

Great minds think alike I guess! :D

Does this mean that I could get nearly $800.00 for mine too? ;)

Steve

Paul's '60 Dodge

image.png.6096d3781789d66b4f55c36c3cbbbe11.png

Mine.

2v23E1DP3xwUbWP.jpg

Well, if you can afford it and like the subject matter, then I see no problem with it.

As far as the builder, if he has 100 hours in the build, then $13 an hour isn't a livable wage but it is a nice way to earn some money and know that others are envious of your talent!

36 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Wow!

I was surprised when I looked at these photos.

Paul built a '60 Dodge Dart that is nearly an exact twin to the Dart that I built!

The roof treatment & the wheels are a little different.

Great minds think alike I guess! :D

Steve

Paul's '60 Dodge

image.png.6096d3781789d66b4f55c36c3cbbbe11.png

Mine.

2v23E1DP3xwUbWP.jpg

Both kits are STUNNING!!! :wub::wub:

From those two pics Steve, I think I like yours better.  Maybe you need to put it on eBay and see what it would do.. how quick can you build one of those?  Might be a lot of money in it for you.

Edited by jchrisf

14 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Yes, I would say it does, but I think you already know the quality of your finished models is always appreciated by those with an eye for quality. :)

On 7/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Why not? Promote it as a "Stephen Guthmiller build" with your excellent photos (very important), start with a low opening bid like $50 or $100 (even more important!) with a sub-$500 reserve if you like, and let the bids roll in. Quality sells itself.:)

ETA: Probably skip the Buy it Now option - those high prices tend to scare off bidders from what I've seen.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

On 7/24/2018 at 4:34 AM, jchrisf said:

From those two pics Steve, I think I like yours better.  Maybe you need to put it on eBay and see what it would do.. how quick can you build one of those?  Might be a lot of money in it for you.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:28 AM, Casey said:

Yes, I would say it does, but I think you already know the quality of your finished models is always appreciated by those with an eye for quality. :)

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Why not? Promote it as a "Stephen Guthmiller build" with your excellent photos (very important), start with a low opening bid like $50 or $100 (even more important!) with a sub-$500 reserve if you like, and let the bids roll in. Quality sells itself.:)

ETA: Probably skip the Buy it Now option - those high prices tend to scare off bidders from what I've seen.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I won't be auctioning off anything in the near future as far as I know.

I'm glad to hear that you think that my builds are good enough to make some cash on ebay, but it was just a tongue in cheek speculation at this point.

Maybe I'll wait for another decade & double my money! :D

Just my luck, by then they will be worth nothing.

Steve

Honestly even at these prices it would be hard to make a living at it. Using the 100 hour benchmark and $1,300 price at 50 hours a week that would be $750 a week minus eBay/PayPal fees do say $700. Then pay expenses, kit, paint, etc, and even before you begin to pay taxes your down another $25 per week.

it would be a good supplemental retirement income though

I would never sell built kits on ebay to try to make a living.

It would only appeal to me as another aspect of the hobby.

In other words, just for the fun of it.

To see what some of them might be worth to others.

I will save that possibility until the point where I am no longer able to build or maintain a large stable of kits & built ups.

Steve

Too bad he hasn't written a book! His work looks great. I'm also curious about the kind of people who pay these amounts of money for them. I picture a guy who owns lots of high dollar 1:1 muscle cars in a nice huge garage and collects memorabilia on the side. Almost 20 years ago I had a small business building ships and subs for Woods Hole Oceanographic. They paid about $400 per assembled Alvin in a display case. It wasn't a bad living until I got married and had a kid.

On 7/26/2018 at 2:52 PM, jaxenro said:

Honestly even at these prices it would be hard to make a living at it. Using the 100 hour benchmark and $1,300 price at 50 hours a week that would be $750 a week minus eBay/PayPal fees do say $700. Then pay expenses, kit, paint, etc, and even before you begin to pay taxes your down another $25 per week.

it would be a good supplemental retirement income though

Your right, you couldn't live on it but you can make a little here & there. I sell everything I build on ebay & most of the time I do O.K. The most I've ever got for a model was over $500 on my Hippie bus.  I'm sure not making a living from it but it gives me extra money to buy more kits & supplies. Sometimes I even have enough left over so I can take my wife out for dinner.  I enjoy "the build" more the the finished product so for me it's easy to sell something I have a lot of time & work into. Plus it's cool to see what people are willing to pay for stuff.

Yes agreed not that my skill is good enough to offer something for sale. But if selling one finished kit buys you five or ten more unfinished ones or that rare kit you just couldn’t justify spending the money on why not?

Edited by jaxenro