Model Cars Magazine Forum

East Coast 32 Coupe

modelfink

This is a 32 5 window coupe I have been working on for a while. I tried to replicate the late 50s, early 60s East Coast style similar to what you would have seen in the "little pages" and features in the magazines. A clean show rod with a little bling. 

Parts List:

Body: Revell 32 5 window
Grill/Shell: Revell Rat Roaster 32 Ford
Front nerf bar: Revell Tweedy Pie rear bumper
Rear nerf bar: scratctch built from 2 hairpin radius rods from AMT 25 Ford
Firewall: Revell Rat Roaster 32 Ford
Frame: Revell 32 with 48 X member, rear cross member, Tweedy Pie rear radius rods
Wheels and Tires: Revell Tweedy Pie big and little whitewalls, steel rims, Caddy wheel covers (from the Revell 48 Ford custom)
Cycle fenders: Revell Tweedy Pie
Rear end: Revell 48 ford
Front end: Revell 32 (tubular dropped axle, cross steer)
Engine: Revell 50 Olds 303 w/ 3 carb set up. scratch built fan belt, fuel lines, prewired distributor
Exhaust: Scratch built cut outs and caps, Revell 50 Olds mufflers, scratch built rear exhaust, Revell 48 ford exhaust tips
Dash: 40 Ford (from Revell 32 kit)
Steering wheel: 50 Olds
Seats: ?? Tuck and roll buckets from parts box (maybe AMT Willys??)

Paint: 
Body:Tamiya Mica Red over Tamiya Gunmetal base coat. Testors Wet Look Clear top coat.
Wheels & Engine:  Testors one coat Pure Gold
Chrome: mix of kit chrome and Molotow pen

dqnm764.jpg

IE8Dyh1.jpg

TBUPkMb.jpg

IQ5ylHb.jpg

grz6u6k.jpg

igRjsrb.jpg

TQQoLuY.jpg

15 hours ago, Plashdaddy said:

Mr. Modelfink, are the Takuya paints you used for the body rattle can colours? May I ask what technique you used to get the result? I am in love with the colour!

Thank you. Yes, they are Tamiya rattle cans. I first used Tamiya white primer, then 2 coats of Tamiya gunmetal, then 2 coats of Tamiya Mica Red followed by 2 coats of Testors Wet Look Clear. I wet sanded the clear coat with 2800 grit then used the 3 step Tamiya polishing compounds (course, fine, finish) with a soft cloth. I warmed the cans before spraying in a can of hot water for about 5 min. 

6 hours ago, modelfink said:

Thank you. Yes, they are Tamiya rattle cans. I first used Tamiya white primer, then 2 coats of Tamiya gunmetal, then 2 coats of Tamiya Mica Red followed by 2 coats of Testors Wet Look Clear. I wet sanded the clear coat with 2800 grit then used the 3 step Tamiya polishing compounds (course, fine, finish) with a soft cloth. I warmed the cans before spraying in a can of hot water for about 5 min. 

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to give it a try.