Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa 1966 American Lowrider Type C

fumi

13 minutes ago, Mark said:

The '59 engine isn't correct for a '66.  Cadillac brought out a new V8 in '64, the 472/500 series, and it's quite a bit different from the first series engine.  The Jo-Han '68 convertible was the most recent kit with a usable chassis, but who wants to break up one of those now?  Other than working steering, everything is molded as a unit, and the engine isn't that good.

I was sort of waiting on this reissue, but the body and interior molded in the color scheme of the Oscar Meyer Wienermobile kills it for me.  I'll look around for the earlier issue if I want another one.

Not quite, the 472 came out in 1968.    The '59 390 still isn't correct though, because the '63 - '67 429 was redesigned with a front mounted distributor.  The '59 also has a Hydramatic transmission, whereas the '66 would have a TH400.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The '59 engine isn't correct for a '66.  Cadillac brought out a new V8 in '64, the 472/500 series, and it's quite a bit different from the first series engine. 

Thanks for the correction. -_- 

Was the V8 from the JO-HAN '70+ Eldorado actually the Olds V8 from the Toronado?

2 hours ago, dodgefever said:

Not quite, the 472 came out in 1968.    The '59 390 still isn't correct though, because the '63 - '67 429 was redesigned with a front mounted distributor.  The '59 also has a Hydramatic transmission, whereas the '66 would have a TH400.

I sliced and diced the Revellogram 390 into a pretty accurate '63+ 429 to use in my John '64 DeVille. I modified and rotated the valley cover so the distributor is in front, tweaked the size and shape of the cylinder heads, modded the 390's manifold to a '63+ version, removed and transplanted the Johan timing chain cover, replaced the 390's tranny with the one from the Johan engine, used the 390's water pump and a few other things. I also had to scratch the entire front (including workable tie rods and links) and rear suspension and graft them onto the extended Revellogram '59-'60 Impala chassis. I could use the same procedures to make an accurate chassis for the Hasegawa kit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I really need that Caddy to go with my others.  The girl figure will probably end up in the same container with the gangsters from MPC and the couple from the 59 Ford.   Just not that interested in finishing the figures.  

I built both of these slammers, using the kits when they were released in the '80s. Sorry for the photos. I had a crappy camera, back ten, and haven't bothered  to take better photos, since. I don't ever recall seeing an Impala in NASCAR, but, I used the car as a canvas for trying a few things I wanted t0 try. I used the Buick, to try a  technique for doing a vinyl top.

IMG_4198cr.jpg

IMG_4199cr.jpg

IMG_4201cr.jpg

5LF.jpg

5LPro.jpg

5LR.jpg

5RRCloser.jpg

25 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

Simple or not, I like the subject matter. Wonder if the Revell Cadillac low rider chassis will fit under it?

I also see the model "C" , "P" and "B" is available

10619606p.jpg

10605524p.jpg

10585005p.jpg

The "T" model is being reissued with a resin bikini lady as well in December. Much like the Caddy it was done as a lowrider earlier this Spring, but the kits with figures have sold so much better they chose to have two more figures sculpted and reissue them to make the entire series have the option.

1 hour ago, Bob Ellis said:

As a detailed curb side they look great

No different than having some nicely built annuals IMO.

17 minutes ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

These new issues with the figures aren't lowriders? If so I'll have to grab the Buick.

The Caddy sure built up nicely. I used Johan wheels and tires as this was the lowrider version I made stock.

caddy.jpg

Looks great

9 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

Sweet.... Couldn't the AMT 65 Bonneville be used as a donor to make it better?

Interesting idea. Might depend on whether Hasegawa or whoever scaled it up to true 1/24 in the "translation." I've never measured it. 

2 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Interesting idea. Might depend on whether Hasegawa or whoever scaled it up to true 1/24 in the "translation." I've never measured it. 

With the bodies being pirated from Johan and AMT, I bet they are actually 1/25 (or close to it)

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

With the bodies being pirated from Johan and AMT, I bet they are actually 1/25 (or close to it)

You might be/probably are right. BTW, the Pontiac was pirated from MPC, not AMT or JoHan. And it's not as cleanly molded around the taillights as the real MPC.