Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 Round2 Car Kit Releases

Casey

On 5/16/2019 at 8:09 PM, alexis said:

Well, I'm Halfway there then.  It is Red/Red, not Red/Blue, but I'll figure something out then.

There are a few  options for the Twinsonic bar besides the kit

http://www.customsquads.com/uploads/1/0/3/6/10365684/cs_price_sheet_1-2018.pdf

And the other option I hear is coming later this year .

Edited by martinfan5

On 5/13/2019 at 4:53 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

Based on the OP's listed address, maybe these are expected dates for release in Canada? Or at least when they expect these items from their distributor?

Elm City Hobbies
1779 Route 640
Fredericton, NB, Canada 

There are no separate released dates for the US and Canada. Only delay is shipping, as it takes a week or so longer to get to Canadian suppliers.

There have been the odd kit that for whatever reason wasn't allowed to be sold in Canada (licensing issues), Stacy David 32 Ford for one, wasn't allowed into Canada, but otherwise, released dates for each country are the same, just slightly more shipping time.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:00 AM, Rob Hall said:

Note that the Supernatural car is a 4dr hardtop, totally different roofline than a 4dr sedan that would be a taxi or police car.   The '67 Impala 4dr ht was a really sharp looking car, IMO. 

supernatural-impala-0005.jpg

With some different wheels and tires, a stock '67 can be done. 

1967-impala-4-door-hardtop-black-supernatural-67-chevrolet-chevy-4-dr-4dr-baby-7.JPG

I have a set of those wheelcovers and the Model Car Garage Photoetch set waiting for this one. I have no use for the Supernatural version, but I want a 4 door hardtop.

18 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I have a set of those wheelcovers and the Model Car Garage Photoetch set waiting for this one. I have no use for the Supernatural version, but I want a 4 door hardtop.

Would be nice if they from day one, include stock wheel covers, that way when the licensing runs out they have a bone stock kit too.

image.png.8fe81e8692540707bcc89d0a8d48059f.png

One can't have too many four door hardtops! I too have a set of those hubcaps (Thanks Dominick!) and I'd love to build one like this but perhaps a different color. I don't think I have the PE set, but I've gotten so many accessories over the years, I'd have to double check.

Is it a sure fact that the S/N car will be a four door and not a rehashed two door hardtop??

2 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Is it a sure fact that the S/N car will be a four door and not a rehashed two door hardtop??

That would be pretty lame if they do that... I would assume they will at least attempt to be accurate, and not just a 2dr with different wheels. 

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

That would be pretty lame if they do that... I would assume they will at least attempt to be accurate, and not just a 2dr with different wheels. 

I would think so too since if they went the rehashed 2dr kit route, they would alienate both the Supernatural fan crowd and the crowd that are looking for a 4-door Impala kit.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:00 AM, Rob Hall said:

Note that the Supernatural car is a 4dr hardtop, totally different roofline than a 4dr sedan that would be a taxi or police car.  

I'm just not seeing much--if ANY--difference between the 4D hardtop and sedans in roof profile. Of course you'd need to add the window frames to do a 4DS taxi or cop car, but I think the roof shape is fine. 

Assuming the 4DH profile is somewhere close to accurate, I'm hoping to turn one into a 2DS. B)

I wonder if they'll bother to give us the optional lighted front fender caps, which are different from the standard units. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I'm just not seeing much--if ANY--difference between the 4D hardtop and sedans in roof profile. Of course you'd need to add the window frames to do a 4DS taxi or cop car, but I think the roof shape is fine. 

Assuming the 4DH profile is somewhere close to accurate, I'm hoping to turn one into a 2DS. B)

I wonder if they'll bother to give us the optional lighted front fender caps, which are different from the standard units. :unsure:

4dr sedan has a more vertical C-pillar and back window.  

At least to my eyes, there's a big difference between the four door hardtop and sedan rooflines.

pa0714-188173_2@2x.jpg.0cdc74c181fbac92917fe26e745bef0a.jpg
chevrolet_bel_air_4-door_sedan_3.jpg.65c93ad6616f27478755db09bd66ed88.jpg

Above is a '68, but it's the same difference. As Rob said, the sedan roofline is more upright and dare I say 'boxier' than the hardtop. So there's some definite surgery that would be needed. The C pillar itself is not as broad as the hardtop's either.

Edited by MrObsessive

Once I heard about the Supernatural modified reissue, I also started researching this issue.  I had always assumed the 4-door sedan and the hardtop shared the same roof profile, rear window, etc.  After comparing many pictures of the 2 body styles, I was surprised to see how different they really are.  The 4-door hardtop definitely has a sleeker profile:

003.jpg

1967-chevy-impala-283-v8-4-door-clean-supernatural-car-1.jpg

From these pictures you can see that the tulip panel of the hardtop carries the angle of the rear window right through to the front edge of the trunk lid, whereas the 4-door sedan's is much "flatter":

1967-chevrolet-4-door-hard-top-supernatural-caprice-impala-12.JPG

1967-cheverolet-impala4-door-supernatural-carno-reservemetallicar-13.JPG

I will say this, with both of these body styles, it is very hard to get good comparative pictures.  Slight differences in the angle of certain pictures (and I'm sure differences in the cameras themselves) can sometimes make the sedan rear windows look much more sloped in one picture compared to another.

Even though the two rooflines and rear windows are different, I can visualize it being fairly simple to modify a 4-door hardtop into the sedan body style (MUCH easier than splicing in '69 Camaro C-pillars onto the 2-door hardtop body).

One big question is whether the 4-door hardtop and sedan share the same windshield in 1:1.  I really can't tell from pictures.  If the 4-door hardtop windshield is laid back a couple more degrees and/or is an inch or two lower, that could really make it tougher to make a sedan conversion look right (without a ton more work).

But then again, if I can't tell from all the pictures I'm looking at, maybe it's a non-issue...

Edited by Robberbaron

Ah, I see it now! Thanks for the pics. 

I'd be very surprised if the HT had a different windshield from the sedan(s). One way to research this might be to try to find part numbers for the replacement windshield, and see if it's applicable to all models. I'd be a bit surprised if that same windshield didn't fit ALL '67-'68 GM full-size sedans, hardtops, and wagons. 

A quick search for '67 Impala windshields indicates one for sedans and wagons, another for convertibles and hardtops.  That's the case for most cars, on occasion there are three different ones (sedan/wagon, hardtop, and convertible).  Only one time did I find a car that used one single windshield across all body styles (sedans, wagons, and convertible).  That was the '64-'69 Rambler American.

Back to the Impala: though conversion work will be needed to get a four-door sedan, the SN body will have a flatter deck lid than the two-door hardtop, and the door lines will be there too.

Taking a quick glance at the sedan and hardtop pics, as Mark said there are two different windshield heights for those. One tell-tale for me is that they each have different vent window shapes although that's also due to the sedan's framed doors as opposed to the lack of those in the hardtop.

Sooooooo...........if you want to be "Obsessive" about it, you might want to raise the roof about a scale ½ -1" or so. ;)

2 hours ago, Mark said:

A quick search for '67 Impala windshields indicates one for sedans and wagons, another for convertibles and hardtops.  That's the case for most cars, on occasion there are three different ones (sedan/wagon, hardtop, and convertible).  Only one time did I find a car that used one single windshield across all body styles (sedans, wagons, and convertible).  That was the '64-'69 Rambler American.

Back to the Impala: though conversion work will be needed to get a four-door sedan, the SN body will have a flatter deck lid than the two-door hardtop, and the door lines will be there too.

Very interesting! Assuming that they really come out with a 4-door body, I'll be converting one to a 2-door. If the roofline doesn't look acceptably close to a real 2DS, I'll do it anyway, perhaps as a phantom "Bel Air 2DHT." 

My thoughts too Snake45,

My own opinion, I would be very surprised if they really do a 4 door hardtop or whatever. Personally I’d be looking for a re-issue of the 67 hardtop with a wheel change.

Not that I’m trying to kill an otherwise good conversation.

Edited by carnut