Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby Summer 19 clearance

A 1965 kit for a 1965 price.  Thanks, Hobby Lobby!

Stopped in the closest HL  today and went to the "Clearance" section at the back of the store.  Two kits were sitting there: an AMT Plymouth Prowler and a '65 Lincoln Continental.  I couldn't quite make out the price on the Linc's red discount sticker, but figured it was $7.50 or so, and worth that for the parts.

At the register the cashier muttered, "That doesn't look right."  She called over a manager and said, "The original price on this was $29.99. But the scanner is saying $1.87."  The manager said that was right.  She pointed to another red sticker under the $1.87 sticker, and said, "We've already marked some of these down once and they didn't sell. We're trying to get rid of them."

So with sales tax, $1.98.  Or about what this kit would have cost when it was new. 

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

A 1965 kit for a 1965 price.  Thanks, Hobby Lobby!

Stopped in the closest HL  today and went to the "Clearance" section at the back of the store.  Two kits were sitting there: an AMT Plymouth Prowler and a '65 Lincoln Continental.  I couldn't quite make out the price on the Linc's red discount sticker, but figured it was $7.50 or so, and worth that for the parts.

At the register the cashier muttered, "That doesn't look right."  She called over a manager and said, "The original price on this was $29.99. But the scanner is saying $1.87."  The manager said that was right.  She pointed to another red sticker under the $1.87 sticker, and said, "We've already marked some of these down once and they didn't sell. We're trying to get rid of them."

So with sales tax, $1.98.  Or about what this kit would have cost when it was new. 

A few years back I went into the HL in Spartanburg, SC and right out front was a table of clearance items.  In the middle was the Monogram Big Deuce marked for $11.49.  SNATCH!!! before anyone else even thought about getting it.  I did pick up the Big Tub a few months later for $32.49.

I did find a seller on ebay some years back that was selling the Revell BiG T kits for 35 bucks each... I bought him out.... ?

He shipped the kits to me in the original Revell cardboard shipping boxes which I still have.... 3 kits to a box....

Edited by Deuces

20 hours ago, BKF said:

These were on clearance at a local Hobby Lobby today. Only picked up the pontiac and the Oldsmobile. I have enough Chargers and Camaros.

20190923_155248.jpg

I was at the nearest HL to me last week- no clearance kits. I would have come home with two or more if I had seen that selection on clearance.

I drove to Latham, NY today. No clearance kits on the shelves or in the clearance section.I didn't even see a Charger kit there.  But I did noticed they are bringing in a lot more die cast kits. I wonder if it's going to have something with the glue. Like what Toys R Us did. 

Edited by ewetwo

Based on this thread, I find there is quite a time delay before kits marked down on clearance that appear in one part of the US appear in other parts. 

(that means I have to visit the closest Hobby Lobby to home semi-regularly, and some times miss out)

7 hours ago, gman said:

Based on this thread, I find there is quite a time delay before kits marked down on clearance that appear in one part of the US appear in other parts. 

(that means I have to visit the closest Hobby Lobby to home semi-regularly, and some times miss out)

Hobby Lobby seems totally unpredictable when it comes to model kits, as this thread shows. Ditto Ollie's, but they don't have as many stores.  When Ollie's had its big model clearance a couple of years ago, people in here were finding all kinds of great 1/25 scale car kits.  Not at the 2 Ollie's in driving distance of me.  They only got piles of the old Lindberg barking dogs - ships, armor and aircraft.  And very few car kits: some NASCAR snaps, the 2 Stroker McGurk kits, etc. 

I'm hoping folks who are driving long distances to Hobby Lobby stores know where to look for the clearance items.

Yes, sometimes there will be reduced prices right on the model car shelves.  Most stores have a designated "Clearance" area which is usually a hodge podge of craft supplies.  At my local store it's in the left rear corner of the store.  The last times I went there and actually found a kit or two, I had to lift junk to find the kits under it.  In another store I went to the Clearance area was against the left wall, mid-store.  So figure it out.

Also, I have found clearance kits on a mid-aisle display and at a display next to a cash register.

So in short, check the whole store.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I'm hoping folks who are driving long distances to Hobby Lobby stores know where to look for the clearance items.

Yes, sometimes there will be reduced prices right on the model car shelves.  Most stores have a designated "Clearance" area which is usually a hodge podge of craft supplies.  At my local store it's in the left rear corner of the store.  The last times I went there and actually found a kit or two, I had to lift junk to find the kits under it.  In another store I went to the Clearance area was against the left wall, mid-store.  So figure it out.

Also, I have found clearance kits on a mid-aisle display and at a display next to a cash register.

So in short, check the whole store.

Last visit to my local HL I asked the clerks, They do know what's on the shelves or where clearance items are located. This store just marked the clearance items, left them on the shelf with the red tags and green line through the regular price.

greg

It’s always good to walk thru most of the isles at hobby lobby, one never knows what you’ll see that will work for something you hadn’t thought of yet, as in, ‘oh, look at that, that’s interesting, maybe that’ll work for_______’ 

and ya, sometimes clearance stuff is hidden in plain view in a middle isle display. I find more cool stuff walking the isles looking for my wife , lol.