Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Nash Ambassador - Carrera Panamericana

curt raitz

I have been building a collection of race cars that Curtis Turner drove throughout his career. All of these are being donated to the Virginia Museum of Transportation. They have a wing set aside for Curtis Turner who grew up close to Roanoke, Virginia. After contacting and meeting his daughter Sue, she stated the 1950 Nash Ambassador her dad and Bill France drove in the Mexican Road Race of 1950 was the "Holy Grail" she was looking for.

In May of 1950 Bill France and Curtis Turner raced a 1950 Nash 4 door Ambassador in the Carrera Panamericana. Also known as The Mexican Road Race of 1950. They started as the 126th entry and finished in 47th place, despite dropping out on the day before the finish due to a broken radiator. 

nashfranceturnerlacapa1950-vi.jpg

1950nashambassador_mexico-vi.jpg

Finding a 1950 Nash 4 door Ambassador in 1/25th scale did present a problem, until 3D printing. I ran across Jens-Uwe Jahn of Jahn3D rapid prototyping (rapidpro@jahn3d.de) at the N Scale Railroaders convention in Salt Lake City last year. He says he can make American Models in any scale! So I challenged him to print me up a 1950 Nash Ambassador 4 door in 1/25th scale. And he did.

DSC_0686-vi.jpg

The 3D printing on the larger scales are still a little rough and It did take a lot of work to get the body smooth. I used most of the parts except the body from the excellent 1950 Oldsmobile by Revell. With just a little trimming of the chassis the Olds chassis slid in place and the wheelbase matched up just fine.

Hers's how it turned out.

DSC_0748-vi.jpg

DSC_0750-vi.jpg

DSC_0753-vi.jpg

DSC_0759-vi.jpg

DSC_0760-vi.jpg

DSC_0761-vi.jpg

Curtis Turner played a big role in helping Bill France get NASCAR up and running, even though Bill France banned Turner from NASCAR in 1961 for trying to unionize the drivers!

Thanx for looking.

Edited by curt raitz
wrong picture

Your build looks just like the photos of the real car. Great tribute to Curtis Turner. Most are to young to remember what a great driver he was and all that he did for NASCAR in the early years. I remember these Nash Ambassadors from when I was a youngster and I thought they looked very aerodynamic for the era with the enclosed wheel wells and smooth lines.  My father used to call them an upside down bath tube, but he wasn't a car guy anyway.    Beautiful finish and all the lettering looks perfect.