Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just one (sort of) for 2019

MrObsessive

Slow year for me due to a number of things. BIGGEST one for me was moving to a new place which meant disruption of any building till just very recently. The '68 Corvette I'm showing here was the last model I finished up before I started to get the tons of model stuff together for the move and it made the move safely without anything getting broken or lost. In fact, all of the built models made the move with no damage whatsoever. That in itself is amazing because in past moves, I could always count on something getting lost or damaged.

Here's the 'Vette.................

P1016650-vi.jpg
P1016651-vi.jpg
P1016652-vi.jpg
P1016654-vi.jpgP1016655-vi.jpg

I included a "sort of" in the title, because I can't remember if I finished this '74 'Vette at the very end of 2018, or if it was New Years Day. Either which way, here it is again as I think it's the first time I've done two of the same type of model back to back.

P1016573vi-vi.jpg
P1016563vi-vi.jpg
P1016565vi-vi.jpg

As of right now, the '55 Ford is still on the work table. This may as well have been a complete build as I'm practically redoing everything as if I was building the model for the first time, with the exception of grafting the new roof on the body. Door hinging, trunk hinging (just finished that the other day) and body recontouring (slightly) so hopefully I can FINALLY get this thing done early in '20 and move on to the next project (return of the Green Hornet? ;))

Thanks for lookin'!

Not my favorite body style of vette I like the 63-7 myself, but this is some fine craftsmanship. Really love the sheen of the paint... looks very realistic and not "candy dipped" as I personally dislike that on a model because it looks unrealistic to my eyes, especially on older cars.

You nailed the sheen!

Thanks for letting me see it!

Thanks for the nice words fellas! I'm a bit envious of some on here that have multiples of cars built...........that's the way it goes though! Hopefully this upcoming year I can get more than two done. But of course they won't be superdetailed like the ones I've done in the past. ;)

9 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Not my favorite body style of vette I like the 63-7 myself, but this is some fine craftsmanship. Really love the sheen of the paint... looks very realistic and not "candy dipped" as I personally dislike that on a model because it looks unrealistic to my eyes, especially on older cars.

You nailed the sheen!

Thanks for letting me see it!

Thanks Leroy! Yeah, that might be nice on a show car or something, but what's supposed to be representative of the real deal, super glossy looks out of place to me as well.

3 hours ago, doggie427 said:

Very lovely as always  Bill. I missed the orange ‘vert first time around, what colour is that exactly?

Thanks Wayne! The color is 1968 Corvette Bronze. I had this mixed up locally at an automotive paint shop. He has several model guys that come in and he'll make up a "touch up" amount since the paint has to be thinned anyway.

Unfortunately, I'm hearing that he's retiring soon and I'm not sure if someone else will be taking over the business. That's too bad because I really liked how he did his paints. Not to shed a bad light on the aftermarket paint guys, but I've always found those to be a bit too thin for my tastes. I'd rather have the paint not thinned and then I can determine how much I need to airbrush.

• 2 weeks later...