Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Dodge D100 Pickup Pro Street

On 6/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, mustang1989 said:

That turned out perfect Francis. Sometimes there's just no option but to go upwards with the mods as there just aint no room to go lower. lol . Very nicely done pal. 

Thanks again for your continuous support my friend!

You have no idea how long I procrastinated and considered other options before I actually did it...  I put so much time and effort into building this hood, making a hole in it was torture but I have to move on with all the details I still have to make and believe me, the list is still long... 😓

Francis

23 hours ago, Steve H said:

Oh man... that gave me a really good laugh! I was thinking the exact same thing, in fact, I might return mine and see if I get a set that work like Francis!! 

Francis, we are all running out of superlatives to describe your build sir. It really is quite amazing seeing it all come together. I do hope that I have the opportunity to meet you in person one day and see this work of art.

Thanks Steve!

I really think we are often the harshest judge of ourselves, what you and Ian are doing is exceptional quality work, you have the right tools believe me!

As for the end result, I hope to get it done before my abilities leave me for good, I would love to do some new projects before I end up in a home for the elderly, I don't think they would like the smell of paint in the hallways... 😁

Francis

Francis, I have great news!! My lovely wife is the director of two seniors facilities here on the island. When the time comes, which I’m sure is quite some time away, look us up. 
so.... my files are not faulty??... They just don’t seem to work as good as yours. Hmmmmm 

Keep the magic coming Francis

On 6/20/2021 at 11:33 PM, Steve H said:

Francis, I have great news!! My lovely wife is the director of two seniors facilities here on the island. When the time comes, which I’m sure is quite some time away, look us up. 
so.... my files are not faulty??... They just don’t seem to work as good as yours. Hmmmmm 

Keep the magic coming Francis

Thanks for the offer Steve, I'll think about it when I get to that point in my life...  I have never visited the west coast and besides, it would be easier to visit each other...  I'll bring my files with me, they probably won't be useful to me anymore...LOL.

Francis

22 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Amazing! I have trouble painting letters that small and here you are fabricating them. True Craftsmanship at its best!! I never get tired of looking at your work.

Thanks Brian, they were quite difficult to make but I couldn't imagine the truck without them, it's one of the distinctive details of this model.  I got into all these details and considered this a must have...  I would have preferred to make them out of aluminum but I would have probably broken all my smallest end mills...LOL. 🤔  You have to know your limits... 😢

I don't get tired of admiring your work either my friend, you are much more prolific than me! 👍

Francis

9 hours ago, Bainford said:

The awesomeness continues. The hood letters look fantastic. I appreciate the torture of cutting that beautiful hood, but the scoop does look good.

Thanks for your kind comments and support Trevor!  I still have nightmares about having to cut a hole in the hood but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the cause...  I'm sure the scoop will fit nicely when the whole thing is finally completed and anyway, that big HEMI needs to be able to breathe...LOL. 😁

More madness to come!!! 😉

Francis

• 2 weeks later...

hi francis your truck is out of this world .the chassis is so real . your talent and imagination are endless.

havent been in my shop for almost 2 weeks . had company and had a great time but could not wait to get back at it. the mustang is so close to being done. keep up the awesome work.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, charlie libby said:

hi francis your truck is out of this world .the chassis is so real . your talent and imagination are endless.

havent been in my shop for almost 2 weeks . had company and had a great time but could not wait to get back at it. the mustang is so close to being done. keep up the awesome work.

Thanks Charlie,

You give me a lot for my money my friend, your Mustang is awesome and I must say that you have amazing skills my friend, obviously we have common interests....😉

Francis

Hello everyone,

Several days have passed since my last update but I was still able to make some progress on another part for the pickup.  The weather has been wetter and rainier the last few weeks so it was more acceptable to sit at the bench.  I had already made the brackets for the wheelie bar but I had not published the pictures which I do today.  I finished and installed the wheelie bar today and I have a lot of pictures so I hope they will be uploaded without any problem and that there will be no surprises during this operation.  I have to go to bed soon because my work week starts early tomorrow morning so I don't have enough time to put a comment on each picture but don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions in particular.

I have a thought for all the friends of the central and west coast of Canada and the United States who have and are still suffering from the infernal temperature and the forest fires that are raging there, I hope that you are safe and that things get back to normal as soon as possible, I can't imagine the distress you are going through!

Francis

292_WheelieBar_Bracket_Mill_1.JPG.b288e13c6dd12d3f97b386e6646c979a.JPG294_WheelieBar_Bracket_Mill_3.JPG.dfb38fa07c2cc9b6419785ac4763c185.JPG295_WheelieBar_Bracket_Final_1.JPG.ac572dfe022b0eacfa97559634b1b006.JPG297_WheelieBar_Milling_1.JPG.9ab88543e8d1d7eb4100afb854b88eb5.JPG298_WheelieBar_Wheels_Prog_1.JPG.6d3834b7e86694ac9a1f2b75a1e44698.JPG299_WheelieBar_Wheels_Prog_2.JPG.8a83109839d452e0ef9ce02b5d758420.JPG300_WheelieBar_Parts_1.JPG.3ce80834ada1fd74252f99cc1dda71e7.JPG301_WheelieBar_Test.JPG.024fb5f53d9c897cb4306a55166aec42.JPG302_WheelieBar_Hardware_Mill_1.JPG.77c33d55e679892ec569e06677fd8d78.JPG303_WheelieBar_Hardware_Lathel_1.JPG.34e2b1017fd487521f4cfb926406262f.JPG304_WheelieBar_Lower_Progress_1.JPG.7db7a7acbbbfdaee9b974b7529ce0821.JPG305_WheelieBar_Lower_Progress_2.JPG.ca69b375aa450e2b977ff040faa2c654.JPG308_WheelieBar_Upper_Progress_1.JPG.c67a34da900c240a160507437a1e90ae.JPG311_WheelieBar_Lock_Pins.JPG.96e82dc114f9d8aa4aebe6db189e6d81.JPG311b_WheelieBar_Final_1.JPG.7d9b201e84b3365ed7eeeb42939d6ef3.JPG311c_WheelieBar_Final_2.JPG.85e955ffa5357f3890705d3bf6701f5a.JPG311d_WheelieBar_Final_3.JPG.fe072ca536476050d7913f4c4f1c83f6.JPG311e_WheelieBar_Final_4.JPG.653794b85d983a418683c490e4c0fe62.JPG311f_WheelieBar_Final_5.JPG.99ec0c8f1901a0f248da38dbc7239fc5.JPG311g_WheelieBar_Final_6.JPG.5b0c3cc56f35871f8f20572e29164a92.JPG

As usual outstanding workmanship and scale fidelity, I do have a couple of questions, did you make the coil springs and what is the material with the holes that you assembled the lower section of the bars on. I see no signs of discoloration from the soldering / welding the parts together.

Superb workmanship, Francis.  Wonderful.

What type of shop do you order the bits from, online?  Perhaps a local supplier?  I need to refurbish my bits for drilling holes, 1mm is the usual starting point. All of mine have become dull and need replacement.

Mike..

Your attention to detail and all the custom made parts just blows my mind.  It makes my hands and eyes hurt just looking at what you've accomplished.  My hats off to ya man.  VERY nice work.   

On 7/6/2021 at 8:53 PM, dragcarz said:

Just amazing………

Thanks for the comment Roger and sorry for the long delay in responding, again, this is not the best time of the year for modeling, even the time available for the computer is limited to the bare minimum.

On 7/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, Ian McLaren said:

As usual outstanding workmanship and scale fidelity, I do have a couple of questions, did you make the coil springs and what is the material with the holes that you assembled the lower section of the bars on. I see no signs of discoloration from the soldering / welding the parts together.

Thanks Ian, the coil spring is simply craft wire wrapped around a brass rod the same size as the one on the wheelie bar and cut to length.  I'm not sure which part you are referring to in your second question but all the yellow colored rods are soldered brass that I cleaned up as much as possible of the excess solder and the rest is machined aluminum. feel free to get back to me if that doesn't answer your question my friend!

On 7/7/2021 at 9:55 AM, Mike Williams said:

Superb workmanship, Francis.  Wonderful.

What type of shop do you order the bits from, online?  Perhaps a local supplier?  I need to refurbish my bits for drilling holes, 1mm is the usual starting point. All of mine have become dull and need replacement.

Mike..

Thanks Mike, I buy my drills on eBay most of the time, they are carbide PCB drills.  They are very sharp but also very fragile, so they should be used only on the milling column or a high speed drill as the smaller ones break very easily despite their potential to drill through the hardest materials.

By the way, I forgot to round the edges of the aluminum parts... difficult to get rid of bad habits... 😉

On 7/8/2021 at 8:05 AM, Zippi said:

Your attention to detail and all the custom made parts just blows my mind.  It makes my hands and eyes hurt just looking at what you've accomplished.  My hats off to ya man.  VERY nice work.   

Thanks for your kind comments and support Bob, I do appreciate!

On 7/8/2021 at 4:32 PM, charlie libby said:

that is amazing as all ways

Thanks Charlie, your Mustang is out of this word my friend, a good source of motivation for any details lover like me... 😁

On 7/9/2021 at 4:45 PM, Mike Williams said:

Compliments also, the quality of the photos! 

Excellent presentation, we can all learn form this technique.

Mike..

I'm kind of a dinosaur with my Nikon Cool pix but I think these old cameras are still unbeatable for sharp photos.  Lighting is always a challenge though...

On 7/9/2021 at 11:59 PM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Amazing work Francis

Thanks Marcos, your continuous support is very appreciated my friend!

Note to everyone:  Feel free to ask me or send me a personal message if you need specific information on any of my updates.  I am always happy to help despite the limited time I have for the hobby at this time of year.

Francis

On 7/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, Bainford said:

That is a seriously good looking set of bars, Francis. They look perfect poking out from under the rear body work. Excellent!

Thanks Trevor!  I plan to add a parachute and it may obstruct the view of the wheelie bar a bit but I guess it's a must to meet the NHRA rules... 🤔

On 7/12/2021 at 11:01 PM, CabDriver said:

It’s such a joy to see a real craftsman doing amazing work like this.  Thank you so much for sharing the process 🙏

Thanks Jim, It's always a pleasure to share the process but sometimes I have to limit myself on the number of photos because it would take too many to cover all the operations.  I'm always open to answering questions for anything that is not clear with the uploaded photos.

On 7/13/2021 at 1:01 AM, majel said:

Like the rest of this build those wheelie bars are modeling art!!  Truly amazing work.

Thanks Jim, I am very happy to see that you like the project so far!  I still have a few details to make before I start painting the truck because I want to keep the handling of the body to a minimum when I get to the assembly stage.

Thank you all, Francis