Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

I thought it might be fun to have a What Did You Accomplish Today thread. This is where you could note something you got done today that’s not worth a Workbench thread, not even worth the trouble of taking and posting a pic, but something that you’re pleased you got done and moves your model car project forward in some significant way.

For example:

I’ve been working on bringing a ’67 Impala promo back from the dead. Rescued from eBay, it came without any wheels or tires. It still has the friction motor axle in the front, but nothing in the rear. The holes in the chassis are, of course, bigger than typical kit wire axle holes. And then, ’67 Impala wheels are not exactly thick on the ground.

I decided not to worry about the wheels until I got the rest of the thing done, but I’ve reached that point. So yesterday I rounded up the ’67 Rally Wheels and wheel backs from a Revell ’67 Chevelle, and the tires from a glue bomb Monogram 1/24 ’70 Chevelle. Found some random aluminum tubing to make a couple “adapters” to fit the splined fiction front axle to two of the Chevelle wheel backs, drilled out a bit, and another piece of aluminum tubing that fit the rear chassis holes and, with only a little reaming, the Chevelle wheel backs. In just an hour or so, “Done deal. Perfect.” I felt like Tony Beets (of TV’s Gold Rush). It seems like such a simple, stupid solution now, but it’s been bothering me for weeks if not months and is the kind of thing that could have sentenced the project to the Shelf of Doom for years.

So what did you accomplish on a model car today that makes you happy you moved the project forward?

Over the weekend I got the interior buttoned up on my Blue Beetle.  I also made license plates for it.

It's at that point where you glue on one part and walk away to wait for it to dry.   I'm hoping to finish it this week.

The Trabant panel is also on the bench.  I noticed the decals I made took on a purplish tint, yes your inkjet uses color ink even to print black.  So I reprinted them using the black setting on the printer.  Much better result.   

6 minutes ago, John Pol said:

well I took the seal off the box  and look inside the box lol

We're looking for a little more progress than that....:lol:

17 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

But yesterday, I got the first coat of paint onto the Charger I'm working on. Still needs one more coat, then some clear.

That's what I'm talkin' about--some kind of actual progress! Drive on! B)

I've been working on a Modelhaus resin '57 Desoto kit.  The interior & chassis are done, but I had to strip the paint from the body twice so far as the 2-Tone black & gold paint job didn't come out right due to my masking errors...

After repainting the gold portion last week, I carefully masked it all off yesterday and sprayed the black portions...

Today I anxiously unmasked it all and found it all to be in perfect shape, with no runs, drips or errors...  I'm a very happy camper.  Now I just have to give it all a clearcoat and then apply all the BMF...  Happy, happy, joy, joy...

Started a polar lights harley quinn bug at 8pm and other than the rear lights and front indicators it was finished at 2am and yes the paint is still sticky. I'll do the trim with silver sharpie and get the lights painted tonight. And since I did it at work I got paid to do it. Now I need to choose something to take for tonight and I'm thinking to take both of the revell tractors and do some more weathered stuff

DSC05751.JPG

DSC05738.JPG

DSC05740.JPG

I clearcoated the '57 Desoto I've worked on and now wait for that to fully dry so I can polish it out.  

In the meantime I've started work on a '41 Plymouth kit.  The chassis parts and interior are painted.  The straight six flathead engine has been ready and waiting for a couple of years...!!!  I'm planning on making it sort of a stock / restomod car.

22 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Ooh, you're really stickin' the ol' knife in, Snake!tango_face_grin.png.a5d3fb5142e34dfad05aa1cd3b14d4f5.png Guess I better do something to the Nova tonight...

That's kinda why I did it. I thought if there were a place where we could post our minor, daily "wins," we might encourage each other to get more stuff done and thereby more models built. 

I've been very pleased with what our Bring Out Your Dead builds have accomplished. Last time I counted, we had over 30 models finished that might still be doing hard time on the Shelf of Doom if not for the mutual encouragement of that thread. Finished models are GOOD! :D

Slammed a revell london taxi and started a chop. Got as far as cutting the roof off when the weather took a turn for the worse and everything started sliding about so i packed it away again. Hope to finish the chop tonight and decide what else to do, maybe a section to go with the chop as the interior is lower than the body. Of course if the boats jumping again none of that will happen, quite enjoying getting paid to build models (I'm nightwatch on a boat and theres no real work to do)

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Slammed a revell london taxi and started a chop. Got as far as cutting the roof off when the weather took a turn for the worse and everything started sliding about so i packed it away again. Hope to finish the chop tonight and decide what else to do, maybe a section to go with the chop as the interior is lower than the body. Of course if the boats jumping again none of that will happen, quite enjoying getting paid to build models (I'm nightwatch on a boat and theres no real work to do)

So.. it's hard to chop in the chop then..? lol

How big a boat are we talking about Les..?

I got the doors and trunk cut out of my 2020 Cannonball Shelby Cobra

2020cannonball.jpg.be66975b7ded5e0a030ff818be0bb5ec.jpg

Edited by Belugawrx

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I got the radiator / shell glued onto the Blue Beetle  Model A pickup last night.  I set it up to dry over night.  I should be able to finish it later today!

Man!  Sometimes the simplest things cause you the most havoc!   I went to put the windshield / frame and dash unit onto the car.  That's when I noticed that the windshield had a noticeable scratch on it.  Instead of just piling forward, I decided to replace it.  It's cut from Evergreen clear stock anyway.  Easy right?  

Well, I got a new windshield cut and in the frame with canopy cement. I waited for it to dry.  Then I went to put some cement on the mating parts to glue it to the body and I literally watched CA glue get grabbed by static electricity and string right across the glass!   Argh!

Remove, cut new windshield and do the canopy cement thing.  Waited for it to dry.  I pick it up and notice it's short on the top.  Remove, pick off all the canopy cement and cut another one.  

This time I get ready to cement the frame to the body and I notice that in a previous attempt I must've gotten some glue on the cowl.  Friggin Argh!  I sanded it out and taped off the entire car other than the cowl and gave it a quick respray with the Testors Lacquer blue.  That's drying now.  I cannot win today!

Edited by Tom Geiger