Model Cars Magazine Forum

Academy HYUNDAI SANTA FE 1/24

martinfan5

I’ll get one, I have a soft spot for the boring everyday cars you see on the road.

Don’t get me wrong, I like building vehicles that are the stuff of dreams and legends too - things that are the focal point of a collection. This isn’t one of them, of course, but it has its place.

23 hours ago, DukeE said:

LOL. Oh well, there's hope for uncle Dudley's dead base Mercury Monarch 4 door, and his wife's B210 Honeybee. 

Just beyond words. Hope everyone complaining wanting new issues buys these. I'll stick with reissues. 

My High School Girlfriend's Mom had a B-210 automatic. That thing would not turn the tires over on the gravel road I lived on.

I strongly suspect that this kit was tooled entirely for the domestic (i.e. Korean) market, with North American distribution an afterthought.

I want one, but it may be awhile before I get one. I'm glad to see a new tool that is NOT million dollar Supercar.

I ordered.   My wife is excited.  I'll build it to whatever she buys if she gets one.  If not, I'll build it like what she wanted it to be.   And it is something besides a the normal stuff we keep getting in the US market.   And not some super high zoot sports car.

Nice to see new kits, but not so nice when I have no interest in them. Agree that more SUVs should be kitted, but aspirational vehicles or ones that can be modified with aftermarket parts are more likely to sell better due to broader appeal.  On those lines, I'd like to see a Benz G-glass, Aston DBX,  Lambo Urus, etc. 

Edited by BVC500

While I have no interest in this particular kit, I do have to commend Academy for producing this kit for those that are excited about it. It gives me hope that they'll produce something later on that I will be interested in. It looks dead on regarding proportions. I'll take a simplified accurate kit over an ill proportioned detailed kit any day.

On 1/15/2020 at 1:07 PM, BVC500 said:

Nice to see new kits, but not so nice when I have no interest in them. Agree that more SUVs should be kitted, but aspirational vehicles or ones that can be modified with aftermarket parts are more likely to sell better due to broader appeal.  On those lines, I'd like to see a Benz G-glass, Aston DBX,  Lambo Urus, etc. 

And in my case, I would have absolutely NO interest in kits you mentioned.  I would love a model of a new Lincoln MKC, MKZ, MKX or whatever they are calling them now though.   Cadillacs - besides the Escalade.  I'm only interested in the Santa Fe because my wife wants one.  I did find an 07 Ford Edge 1/43 diecast that I dismantled and painted to match my real one, but it came from UK.   

I have diecasts of the Maserati and Lambo SUVs for sale on ebay and seems like buyers are staying away from them in droves.   Not sure they would sell as kits either.  IDK anymore what would sell though.  Last kits I've built are Lancia Stratos Stradale (for a friend), 59 Ford (Revell) that I hope to get back to come spring.  too cold in my building, plus I've been selling a diecast collection and that has taken my modeling time.  I liked the Lancia, but not sure I would have bought it myself.  I did do a Muira last year in amongst the bunch of stuff I built.  

I guess the mfrs arent' willing to take a chance and fail with kits of modern things.  Not sure why they would even decide to do the Santa Fe really.  

On 1/15/2020 at 12:07 PM, BVC500 said:

Actually, Academy has kitted the Lambo Urus, but in 1/43 scale. Their 1/43 kits are very nice. I've built their Shelby Cobra Mustang - simple but well engineered.

I keep hoping Academy will make a kit of Hyndai's upmarket Genesis G80, since I own one. ?

5 hours ago, vintagerpm said:

Actually, Academy has kitted the Lambo Urus, but in 1/43 scale. Their 1/43 kits are very nice. I've built their Shelby Cobra Mustang - simple but well engineered.

I keep hoping Academy will make a kit of Hyndai's upmarket Genesis G80, since I own one. ?

Oh I like that G80!   Nice big sedan ride.  My kinda car.  Back to the subject at hand...

10 hours ago, randyc said:

I guess the mfrs arent' willing to take a chance and fail with kits of modern things.  Not sure why they would even decide to do the Santa Fe really.  

As mentioned earlier it's an unassembled promo. Hyundai is the one that footed the bill to pay for it, Academy is just doing what the manufacturers have always done - sell some off as kits to get some added profit.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

As mentioned earlier it's an unassembled promo. Hyundai is the one that footed the bill to pay for it, Academy is just doing what the manufacturers have always done - sell some off as kits to get some added profit.

I did not realize that *ANY* car manufacturers were still making 1:24 promotional models.  Wow!

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I did not realize that *ANY* car manufacturers were still making 1:24 promotional models.  Wow!

While they weren't quite promos, Ford is who footed the bill for the Mustang, Ford GT & 2017 Raptor Build n Plays that they were giving away at the Detroit International Auto Show, and then Revell later sold as "kits" to the unwashed hobby masses.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:04 PM, vincen47 said:

I have a soft spot for the boring everyday cars you see on the road.

I'm with you. One of my modeling goals has always been to build a 1/25 scale K-Mart (I guess Walmart nowadays) parking lot full of daily drivers. I'm not quite there, but I'm working towards it.

1 hour ago, Atmobil said:

I have never seen a real one but it looks like they are for sale here. Prices starts at 775 000 kroner (about 87 000 $US) so maybe I can build it as a norwegian registered car.

$87,000 US ?? 

MSRP for a fully equipped one here in the states is around $39,000. What's the hike in price, taxes?

55 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

$87,000 US ?? 

MSRP for a fully equipped one here in the states is around $39,000. What's the hike in price, taxes?

Yes, the taxes are very high over here. But what is the price for the electric hyundai over there?

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

The Ionig Electric starts at $30,000 US and the Kona Electric starts $37,000 US

Ok, cool.

Here the prices for the Ioniq starts at 278 000 (about 32,100 $US) and the Kona starts at 310 000 (about 34,800 $US)

Last year we wanted to get a new car and my wife went on a testdrive in the new Jeep Wrangler. We got a price for a 2.2 Diesel Sahara.
Baseprice 531 430   (59,630.17$)
Taxes 449 670   (50,456.12$)
Shipping 9 900   (1110.85$)
Alarm 5 000   (561.04$)
Overland package 26 000   (2917.38$)
Comfort package 3 500    (392.72$)
Limited slip rear diff 3 500   (392.72$)
Black electric soft top 2 500  ( 280.52$)
Technology package 6 500   (729.35$)
Winterwheels 40 000   (4488.28$)
Trailer hitch 25 000   (2805.18$)
Purchase tax 130 666 (14,661.64$)

Total 1 103 000 (123,764.32$)

Almost half the price was taxes.
The taxes are on so called fossil-vehicles but electric ones don't have normal taxes or purchase tax so if the wrangler was electric it would have cost something like 73-74 000$
The Hyundai Kona is actually more expensive in the US than here?
It is of no wonder that I almost never see a Santa Fe or any of the other so called fossil Hyundai models around here but I see a lot of the electric ones and know a few that have bought the Ioniq or the Kona.

wrangler.jpg