Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 Dodge crew cab "Just Needs Paint"

2 original issue MPC cabs cut and pasted to make a crew cab.  Short bed made from sectioning a long bed.  It took over 2 years to build this one.  Scratch built working coilover suspension, front bumper and winch, steering wheel and steering column.  Cummins 6BT resin engine from Trailer Trash Kustoms.  Scratch built turbocharger.  Resin tires cloned from Monogram kit (driver side reversed and Ground Hawg sidewall added because the tires are supposed to be directional).  Feel free to comment.  Hope you like!

1517573508_leftside.jpg.0051ee40adf25e07225a8abf48ddffe3.jpgbed.jpg.6329d1ee86f47083035a68b9db5cf00e.jpg 

1589315229_rightside.jpg.a4f662afbb1e4ff62aabe7b8d1df235d.jpg

engine.jpg.b0273076a8d2f9262530289ba3e3c915.jpg

interior.jpg.12c08bb07c1ad379329e71e4161fbbf6.jpg

1940347609_frontbumper.jpg.354b084ee190ca90f72c39ecdfec654e.jpg

mirror.jpg.9dc2f1bcf83c2200e8418dd7da0d62e5.jpg

rearwheel.jpg.0dcb194605844a49346f29777ac83c27.jpg

frontwheel.jpg.b1b81a78afb927e6dc53a0946452a80c.jpg

The first thing I noticed was the realistic looking body finish. There're many trucks running around here that look just like this. That's pretty realistic. I had watched everything you had done on the Chassis and the Engine conversion, and they turned out great. The body conversion was really interesting to see, a lot of body work went into this.  

15 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Nice job on the construction. Like the front turn signal improvement. Where did the 'PRNDL' come from or how did you make it?

greg

Thanks!  I had to come up with a shift indicator because the Cummins engine came with an automatic.  The indicator is just a piece of Evergreen styrene with some white dots and an orange line painted on.  Actually it should be slightly hooded and have closed sides after looking at reference photos. 

35 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

That's some great weathering! I really like the crew cab short bed conversion! The Cummins is especially cool! Those tires are directional. But, they should be turned in the other direction.

Will do!  That's an easy fix since it still has the metal axles and the wheels are only glued on one end.  Thanks for the tip, I'm not really an off-road guy any more, just having fun with the build. 

14 hours ago, 72 Charger said:

Almost a carbon copy LOL . I really like what you have done the weathering is so good. I have gone for a more stock look

IMG_0614.JPG

I like it! The paint looks great and I love the dog dish hubcaps. Did you use the recently released version?

I almost went with the low and long look but didn't want to deal with the transmission tunnel, so went the 4x4 route instead.

No this is a bitza this and bitza that build . Two LRW's and Warlock parts. Its taken two years of collecting parts . I have only just managed to get the rear lights and mirrors for it. I was going to go 4x4 but thats not my thing . The transmission tunnel was not that bad really . I only had to change the bit behind the front seats.