Model Cars Magazine Forum

How about your favorite cereal ?

NYLIBUD

Used to love Alpha Bits. Hadn't had 'em in decades. Couple years ago, got a hunger to taste 'em again. Walmart doesn't carry them so I had to drive across town to find a box. What a disappointment! They now taste like cardboard. Never again. 

I've always liked Cherios. They haven't changed, good as ever. Couple years ago I went on a Cherios jag and would eat a bowl of them dry, like popcorn, as a snack while watching TV at night.

Lucky Charms. The cheap Walmart ripoff, Marshmallo Mateys, are almost as good at half the price. 

When I was a kid, when I'd visit my grandparents, they'd get me those packs of 10 or 12 different cereals. This was a treat 'cause I got to try new ones. I remember Corn Pops was one of them, only time I ever got those. At home, we only ever had Rice Krispies and Kellogs Corn Flakes. 

I've never really liked that kid's cereal. Too sugary for my tastes. And the marketing always confused me.

Like when they made Trix cereal.

Marketing: let's create a fun and exciting cereal.

Executive: okay, let's hear it.

Marketing: It's going to have fun colours, and the flavours are fruity

Executive: OMG yes, we love it!

Marketing: And rabbits can flip right off if they think they can have some.

:)

Anyway, I like simple cereals like Cheerios or Corn Flakes. A little skim milk, some banana or blueberries, I'm good.

Malt-O-Meal is maybe my favorite brand..... it comes in this Huge resealable bag, really a lot for your money. My two favorite flavors of it are the honey-puffed wheat and the s'mores kind. The S'mores one is just golden grahams, cocoa puffs, and tiny marshmallows all mixed in one bag......

Crunchies for the munchies.........

I like Honeycomb

But seems they  didn't learn anything from the "New Coke" fiasco.

Honeycomb cereal : nostalgia

The stuff was awful.  not only did they change the taste but the color , size and even texture.  It was bloody awful. ?

In fact, there was such a big backlash that this happened,, 

Honeycomb Cereal

Still not quite there but almost as good as it was.  But then again, Coke never really was the same again either, was it?

As a kid growing up in the 60's, I liked Quisp cereal. ( it was a mostly Blue box with a goofy looking Martian on the front.)

Then, around 1971 they took it off the market. ( something about the Yellow 40 lake food dye in it causing Cancer or something ...)

So, I switched to Cap-N-Crunch. ( it tasted almost exactly like Quisp, so no real loss.)

Then, in 1998, they brought back several of the "discontinued" cereal's.... INCLUDING QUISP !!!   I bought a box, and hurried home so I could "re-live" my childhood breakfast memories ....... they tasted like  something a cow would leave behind in the field !!!    

So these day's , I stick with what I know tastes good

Cap-N-Crunch, with crunchberrie's!

I also like Fruity pebbles,.

Post Rasin bran.

Post Grape-nut's with lot's of brown sugar on them, and, I let them "soak" in the milk for about 5 minutes before eating them.

Wheat checks

Rice checks.

Froot loop's.

And Frosted flake's.

EDIT: O M G  I just found this...  s-l1600.jpg

Just the box, is selling for $ 249.00 ?!?!?!?!     HOLY COW BATMAN !!!!

Edited by Little Timmy

5 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

As a kid growing up in the 60's, I liked Quisp cereal. ( it was a mostly Blue box with a goofy looking Martian on the front.)

Then, around 1971 they took it off the market. ( something about the Yellow 40 lake food dye in it causing Cancer or something ...)

So, I switched to Cap-N-Crunch. ( it tasted almost exactly like Quisp, so no real loss.)

Then, in 1998, they brought back several of the "discontinued" cereal's.... INCLUDING QUISP !!!   I bought a box, and hurried home so I could "re-live" my childhood breakfast memories ....... they tasted like  something a cow would leave behind in the field !!!    

So these day's , I stick with what I know tastes good

Cap-N-Crunch, with crunchberrie's!

I also like Fruity pebbles,.

Post Rasin bran.

Post Grape-nut's with lot's of brown sugar on them, and, I let them "soak" in the milk for about 5 minutes before eating them.

Wheat checks

Rice checks.

Froot loop's.

And Frosted flake's.

If you remember Quisp, you surely must remember the Quisp vs. Quake war.

When I was a kid, there was Quisp, (the little disk shaped cereal with the martian on a blue box) and Quake, (the exact same cereal with a different shape with a miner on a red box)

In 1972, a vote was held to determine which cereal would go, and which would stay.

Quisp won.

image.png.2843c19f5d046d7e49ec31548c0a7b83.png

Steve

Ok, I'm going to back a little further.  Anybody else remember the variety packs that had markings on the back that showed you where to cut.  You would cut it open with a knife and pour the milk in and the box was the bowl.  They had a waxed paper inner wrapper.   It sort of worked.  Sometimes the inter wrapper would leak and you had soggy cardboard that the smell of really ruined the whole experience.