Model Cars Magazine Forum

SO-CAN 32 lakester: Canada's answer to SoCal Spd Shp

Hi!

Was very active during the pandemic. and found time to build my annual Lakester. This 32 roadster (AMT'S) is my latest member of the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY.

What if a Cannuck was to challenge the famous So-Cal Speed shop car on the salt?

It is a mostly scratchbuilt frame, based on the Phantom Vicky rails, but all the cage, belly pan, suspensions, instruments, tanks, axles, air-ride shocks, Optima battery & all are scratchbuilt. The engine is from Monogram's Turbo Coupe TBird, heavily modified. Scartchbuilt electrical panel, brake & clutch hydrulic cylinders, fire extinguisher, floor pan, etc. 

The front section is made of Monogram's 36 Mercedes hood top, sheet plastic side panels, Haye's TBird inverted scoop, a pencil eraser "nose cone", some fabrication, and the rear wing is made of a Gilette cartridge blades tray. The belly pan bulge is a plastic spoon, and the clear canopy is from a lightbulb blister pack. The tonneau cover was made with an Avanti roof panel. 

Fully wired & hosed. Rolling stock & rear quickchange section from MT's Challenger. Custom decals. Tamya's pure white + Italian red lacquer panels. 

Hours of fun with styrene. Long live the salt!

CT

DSC00608 (2).JPG

DSC00609 (2).JPG

DSC00611 (2).JPG

DSC00613 (2).JPG

DSC00624 (2).JPG

DSC00622 (2).JPG

DSC00630 (2).JPG

DSC00639 (3).JPG

DSC00633 (2).JPG

DSC00626 (2).JPG

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Roger U said:

That's a very creative and beautiful model. Great detailing on the chassis and body.

What tires and wheels did you use?

Hi Roger!

Thanks for the comments. The rolling stock comes from Mickey Thompson's Challenger Streamliner (Monogram's), painted magnesium with Alclad. The front and rear axles are scratchbuilt, the front one being a mono-air shock "canteliver" system, to adjust riding height on the fly, just before the "Measured MIle"... For a while I juggled with the idea of encasing the wheels in aerodynamic pods (teardrops)... but they are so well molded, I changed my mind. 

CT

DSC00616 (2).JPG

DSC00627 (2).JPG

• Like 2

Wow, Claude, this might be your best salty yet!  The detail throughout the chassis is not only beautifully crafted but extremely believable.  Anyone who has visited Bonneville will know that a lot of the race cars there are "busy" - there are components stuck wherever they fit and then plumbed accordingly. Not all of them are as attractive as this one!  And your graphics - they are laser sharp!  Those Challenger wheels were the perfect choice - I have just one and I think it is time I had it resin copied!

Cheers

Alan

2 hours ago, alan barton said:

Wow, Claude, this might be your best salty yet!  The detail throughout the chassis is not only beautifully crafted but extremely believable.  Anyone who has visited Bonneville will know that a lot of the race cars there are "busy" - there are components stuck wherever they fit and then plumbed accordingly. Not all of them are as attractive as this one!  And your graphics - they are laser sharp!  Those Challenger wheels were the perfect choice - I have just one and I think it is time I had it resin copied!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan!

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated. 

To your point about the fact the car is tightly "packed"... I agree. As we know, frontal surface is the enemy on the lake, because of air drag. I hesitated between the AMT or Revell roadster variety at the beginning ( I had both on hand), and chose the AMT because of its light "sectionning", a well documented fact among Deuce afficionados. Sleeker, but more packaging constraints. Hence the inverted snorkel scoop and belly reveal: even a small L-4 was too tall! Also had to make the turbo intake tube go in front of the engine, versus above it (OEM). 

All in all, a pleasant packaging challenge. 

My next FLAT EARTH SOCIETY car is underway, and will pack the Allison engine from AMT's ALLISON IN THUNDERLAND fantasy funny car. I located one last week-end, to my surprise. It will be a full-bodied looooooooooong streamliner.  Variety, you know!

Regards,

CT

DSC00635 (2).JPG

DSC00636 (2).JPG

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Paul Payne said:

Totally believable- your craftsmanship equals your imagination. Just needs some salt on the tires! This would be a good candidate for the real or model section!

Hi Paul!

Thank you for the comments. 

I actually have a sort of white foam packing material here (much like the lining of shipping envelopes). The surface pattern is quite random, cracked, and translucent just enough that I couldn't help it: I mounted it over a light blue coarse-brushed sheet of flat plastic, and placed random accumulation of "salt" (made of white glue and embossing powder), just like the streaks you see alongside the graded section at Bonneville. It looks convincing, but of course, it is mostly white in color. Therefore, when you shoot pics of the white model on it.... it saturates the camera, and you loose details. 

Well, if I was a better photographer, I might find a solution, I guess...

CT

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

I rather like those disc brakes !

you ARE planning to bring this to the last GSL contest -  right ??

Hi Andrew!

The discs are from a Revell Ferrari California found in the trash bins at a local event. Nicely detailed box stock.

To be honest, attending GSL and the races at Bonneville are BOTH on my bucket list. But as of now, the Canada/USA border is closed to all but urgent traveling.

So, who knows. I can dream...

CT

Would it be possible to see this category without a new build from Claude?  The answer is no because salt flat racers are in its veins...

What a nice build... what a convincing build... what can I expect from this good guy other than masterful builds!!!

Nothing really good with this pandemic but those sunrays with build quality photos like this bring me a big smile!

I'll be back to work in a few hours so I will be come back to digest all the good things pictured here!

In the meantime, I take my hat off to you!!!?

1 hour ago, absmiami said:

Ok

ok

i know the border is closed now. But if the border is still closed in 2022. -  don’t ask. ...

besides. Attending the last GSL will be urgent travel - right ??

Hi Andrew!

Well, I write it down as we chat. Life is short, and I'm 65... I guess you can argue with the border agent that attending GSL is "urgent" to me? Worth a try...

CT