Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

OK Guys....turns out Revell could use your help in producing this all-new kit tool.  

To ensure the very best execution of the full-detail engines in these kits, they are looking for 1/1 scale Boss 351 Cleveland and 1971 Cobra Jet 429 engines that are currently out of the engine compartment and on an engine stand (or similar), so they can do a measuring and photography session for both.  These need to be 100% factory stock engines.  

If any of you know of someone or a restoration business currently working on either of these engines, please send me a private email using the mail function here at the Forum, with the name and contact information of the owner or builder, and I will pass that on to the product development team at Revell.  They're looking for solid leads only here, and time is of the essence, I am told.  

I'm sure the Revell team would highly appreciate any help on this that you could provide.  

Best Regards....TIM 

My suggestion would be for Revell to contact Kevin Marti. I am sure that he can connect them with the people that have what they want.

I hope that , whatever Revell decides to do engines-wise , that :

- Option of a C-6 for the 429-powered model 

- Thermactor Smog Pump is a separate unit ( again , with the 429 --- BOSS 351 was sans that setup ) 

- Period-correct aftermarket wheels , tyres , and other equipment 

Lots of possibilities with this pending 1971 Mustang ! Very cool !

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

I hope that , whatever Revell decides to do engines-wise , that :

- Option of a C-6 for the 429-powered model 

- Thermactor Smog Pump is a separate unit ( again , with the 429 --- BOSS 351 was sans that setup ) 

- Period-correct aftermarket wheels , tyres , and other equipment 

Lots of possibilities with this pending 1971 Mustang ! Very cool !

I think a lot will depend on the level of research they get their hands on and if they can find some concours correct cars and engines.  I’m working to Tim and getting him as many contacts as I can round up to pass on to Revell.

5A3BAD70-2E40-4C9D-9CAA-7A2DD9F5AF37.png

Edited by vamach1

3 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I think a lot will depend on the level of research they get their hands on and if they can find some concours correct cars and engines.

I'm surprised to see a direct-drive fan on that engine , as I thought that they had a thermal clutch on the 335-Series . My 1970 Ranchero GT with a 2 Bbl Cleveland had a clutch --- maybe because it had factory air conditioning ? 

That's great that you're putting-forth the effort to help get this kit proper . 

17 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

In my shop, this is where the new kits show their usefulness.

Parts!

I utilize them by pirating the engine and other components from a new kit and transplant them into an old body.

Best of both worlds.

And it's a large portion of the fun and gives me a great feeling of accomplishment.

Anybody can throw together a kit as it comes from the box.

It takes a little more skill and commitment to combine parts from several kits and make it presentable.

We are modelers after all, and not just assemblers.

image.jpeg.5d12815a55ab42fa2528ddf7e367f33f.jpeg

Steve

Steve,

Is that the Jo-Han '68 442 kit?  Who made the aftermarket parts for it?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

Steve,

Is that the Jo-Han '68 442 kit?  Who made the aftermarket parts for it?  Thanks!

It is Jim.

The vast majority of the engine bay parts came from the MPC '69 442 kit.

Most of the engine parts came from either the AMT '66 or the Lindberg '67 442 kits.

Everything else was scratch built.

There are virtually no "after market" parts to speak of.

This was just the example that I wanted to present to show how even a 52 year old kit with substandard detailing by today's standards can be made to rival a modern kit with a little ingenuity and extra effort.

I just wanted to make the point that we don't have to sit around and wait for the kit companies to produce newly tooled kits of subjects that have already been around for a half of a century or more.

I often hear people complain that they really want to build that '65 Pontiac Grand Prix or '63 Ford, but they can't get past the bad chassis or lame interior.

Well, unless you're willing to do something about it and jump in with both feet, it's not going to happen, because there is very little possibility that Revell, Round 2 or Moebius is going to offer any new tooling for the vast majority of these old American cars.

It's just a fact that we all are going to have to learn to live with.

So my message is, get busy and build what you want to, because if you're waiting for Revell to offer a new '69 AMX, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

On 9/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, vamach1 said:

How is the decal business going?  Any chance that you will sell them in bulk to a supplier in the USA to keep shipping cost reasonable?

It's going pretty alright, as far as it's possible between Brexit about to kneecap my access to the printing company and COVID, hah. This announcement of Revell doing the '71 Mustang's inspired me to finally re-do all the '71-'73 Mustang sets and get to the ones I have had planned for so long, like a handful of Shelby de Mexico models(GT500 with the strobe stripes and '73 GT-350). Shipping wise, man I am getting destroyed by how expensive intercontinental postage is nowadays, in the Netherlands they straight up added 13$ on top of the previous price to 'compensate' for it, so for a brief moment I had this idea to just have a buddy in Calgary, Canada ship 'em locally but that quickly dissolved cause of the how many unique sets(pushing the 300) I have and it requiring a momentous amount of dosh upfront to invest.

It's a hell of a thing, hah.

1 hour ago, echoxrayniner said:

It's going pretty alright, as far as it's possible between Brexit about to kneecap my access to the printing company and COVID, hah. This announcement of Revell doing the '71 Mustang's inspired me to finally re-do all the '71-'73 Mustang sets and get to the ones I have had planned for so long, like a handful of Shelby de Mexico models(GT500 with the strobe stripes and '73 GT-350). Shipping wise, man I am getting destroyed by how expensive intercontinental postage is nowadays, in the Netherlands they straight up added 13$ on top of the previous price to 'compensate' for it, so for a brief moment I had this idea to just have a buddy in Calgary, Canada ship 'em locally but that quickly dissolved cause of the how many unique sets(pushing the 300) I have and it requiring a momentous amount of dosh upfront to invest.

It's a hell of a thing, hah.

Thanks for the update.  I will keep this in mind as we hopefully get past this COVID by next spring and I would be interested in buying 100 sets of your best sellers to resell via Ebay to the US market.  With shipping here only a few dollars If you sold them wholesale at a discount so a reseller could change the same retail price you do I am guessing your overall sales would increase significantly.  Something to think about as I like your work Very much and I think the shipping cost is a big deterrent to customers in North America which of course you have no control over.

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It is Jim.

The vast majority of the engine bay parts came from the MPC '69 442 kit.

Most of the engine parts came from either the AMT '66 or the Lindberg '67 442 kits.

Everything else was scratch built.

There are virtually no "after market" parts to speak of.

This was just the example that I wanted to present to show how even a 52 year old kit with substandard detailing by today's standards can be made to rival a modern kit with a little ingenuity and extra effort.

I just wanted to make the point that we don't have to sit around and wait for the kit companies to produce newly tooled kits of subjects that have already been around for a half of a century or more.

I often hear people complain that they really want to build that '65 Pontiac Grand Prix or '63 Ford, but they can't get past the bad chassis or lame interior.

Well, unless you're willing to do something about it and jump in with both feet, it's not going to happen, because there is very little possibility that Revell, Round 2 or Moebius is going to offer any new tooling for the vast majority of these old American cars.

It's just a fact that we all are going to have to learn to live with.

So my message is, get busy and build what you want to, because if you're waiting for Revell to offer a new '69 AMX, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the information!  That is an awesome build.  I went to the Jo-Han factory a couple of times in 1974.  That year, Detroit set a new record for murders, and it was not in a good neighborhood to be in if you had any car trouble.  Anyway, the older kits and promos were $3.00 each.  The nice lady thought the '68 442 kit was missing a few pieces.  I took a chance and bought it anyway.  Nothing was wrong with it except it came in one of those flat boxes.  I built it in the same color combination as our family's '68 Vista Cruiser, Jade Gold (a dark green with gold metal flake) with a Willow Gold (mint green) interior.  The paint job came out excellent.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Steve,

Thanks for the information!  That is an awesome build.  I went to the Jo-Han factory a couple of times in 1974.  That year, Detroit set a new record for murders, and it was not in a good neighborhood to be in if you had any car trouble.  Anyway, the older kits and promos were $3.00 each.  The nice lady thought the '68 442 kit was missing a few pieces.  I took a chance and bought it anyway.  Nothing was wrong with it except it came in one of those flat boxes.  I built it in the same color combination as our family's '68 Vista Cruiser, Jade Gold (a dark green with gold metal flake) with a Willow Gold (mint green) interior.  The paint job came out excellent.  

Still have it?

Love to see it.

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Me neither.

You don't need one to post photos.

Do you have a desk top or lap top with your photos on your hard drive?

Or do you use a photo hosting site?

Steve

An IPAD comes in handy for capturing screen shots and copying website links.  I do not access the forum website via my IPhone but I can imagine you can do the same things as a laptop and if you take any photos with your phone.

11 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

An IPAD comes in handy for capturing screen shots and copying website links.  I do not access the forum website via my IPhone but I can imagine you can do the same things as a laptop and if you take any photos with your phone.

An I-pad will do the trick as well.

Anything will work if you have digital photos.

They will just vary a bit depending on what you're using.

That's the nice thing about using a photo hosting site.

No matter what device you use, as long as you have access to the internet, you can easily post photos anywhere.

Steve

There needs to be a cohesive poll like the other magazine used to do.   Most wanted kits.   One cohesive poll.  Then present it to the mfrs and see if there is any sort of response.   FOr several years, we were getting the kits that were most requested.  Maybe no thte next year, but if one were to go back and look, you;ll see that most of those kits made it into production.   This forum is probably the most used model Car forum in the US?  

It might be tough for us to come together and amass that poll though.  I'm not smart enough to figure out how to go about it.   Gotta ask what we want, then reduce that down to a list that works.  

12 minutes ago, randyc said:

There needs to be a cohesive poll like the other magazine used to do.   Most wanted kits.   One cohesive poll.  Then present it to the mfrs and see if there is any sort of response.   For several years, we were getting the kits that were most requested.  Maybe no thte next year, but if one were to go back and look, you;ll see that most of those kits made it into production.   This forum is probably the most used model Car forum in the US?  

It might be tough for us to come together and amass that poll though.  I'm not smart enough to figure out how to go about it.   Gotta ask what we want, then reduce that down to a list that works.  

I remember when Tom Carter of Hobby Heaven used to do this years ago.  He either got a list from the kit companies of possible subjects the company was looking to do or he did a poll to see what kits builders wanted to see and got feedback , then relayed that back.  I forgot the format he did; maybe someone here remembers.  What's been here through the years was to have a thread going where each member submits 5-10 subjects  they would want to see come out from the kit manufacturers.

26 minutes ago, randyc said:

There needs to be a cohesive poll like the other magazine used to do.   Most wanted kits.   One cohesive poll.  Then present it to the mfrs and see if there is any sort of response.   FOr several years, we were getting the kits that were most requested.  Maybe not the next year, but if one were to go back and look, you;ll see that most of those kits made it into production.   This forum is probably the most used model Car forum in the US?  

If you go back and look at the polls that were done every year in the other magazine, much of what ended up as top ranked wishes eventually came to the market.  From a manufacturer point of view it was a bit of a mixed blessing.  Many of the poll winners sold well, but some were bombs....1958 Edsel, I'm thinking of you!   On the positive side, I would have never in a million years chosen a Hudson as a kit topic, but it ranked high in those polls IIRC, and apparently sold well for Moebius when it eventually became a kit series.  So I too would like to see a consolidated poll on future kit topics along the line of what Randy is suggesting.  But with the proviso that it would be helpful information, but not a 100% certainty as a source of good selling future kit topics for the kit manufacturers.     

As part of the research I did for my new book on drag racing model kits, I once again talked to all the current and past kit industry executives that I know (at all the domestic kitmakers and Dave Burkett as well) and from their point of view, the best sellers these days are topics geared toward the 1960's and 1970's, especially pickups, but also muscle cars and historical racing topics.  That's the domestic hobby kit market speaking, folks.  As much as I pine for a current full detail S550 Mustang kit, and others I am sure feel the same way about a C8 Corvette, a full detail F150 pickup, and the like, the current best selling kits, at least in the American market, are in the above mentioned genres. 

As far as future car kits go, I would forecast that we will continue to see both new kits of cars that were never kitted in the past (such as Moebius' 1965 Comet and 1965 Belvedere series), and all new interpretations of subjects that currently existing only in 1960's/early 1970's annual kit type tooling (thus the new Revell 1971 Mustang kit).  But beyond that, I'd bet we'll see even more activity in 1960's/early 1970's pickups and possibly even drag and circle track racing topics.  And, if we are lucky, a few kits of all-new, current auto industry subjects as well.  As usual with these sore of prognostications, only time will tell for sure. .  

TIM 

Just now, tim boyd said:

If you go back and look at the polls that were done every year in the other magazine, much of what ended up as top ranked wishes eventually came to the market.  From a manufacturer point of view it was a bit of a mixed blessing.  Many of the poll winners sold well, but some were bombs....1958 Edsel, I'm thinking of you!   On the positive side, I would have never in a million years chosen a Hudson as a kit topic, but it ranked high in those polls IIRC, and apparently sold well for Moebius when it eventually became a kit series.  So I too would like to see a consolidated poll on future kit topics along the line of what Randy is suggesting.  But with the proviso that it would be helpful information, but not a 100% certainty as a source of good selling future kit topics for the kit manufacturers.     

As part of the research I did for my new book on drag racing model kits, I once again talked to all the current and past kit industry executives that I know (at all the domestic kitmakers and Dave Burkett as well) and from their point of view, the best sellers these days are topics geared toward the 1960's and 1970's, especially pickups, but also muscle cars and historical racing topics.  That's the domestic hobby kit market speaking, folks.  As much as I pine for a current full detail S550 Mustang kit, and others I am sure feel the same way about a C8 Corvette, a full detail F150 pickup, and the like, the current best selling kits, at least in the American market, are in the above mentioned genres. 

As far as future car kits go, I would forecast that we will continue to see both new kits of cars that were never kitted in the past (such as Moebius' 1965 Comet and 1965 Belvedere series), and all new interpretations of subjects that currently existing only in 1960's/early 1970's annual kit type tooling (thus the new Revell 1971 Mustang kit).  But beyond that, I'd bet we'll see even more activity in 1960's/early 1970's pickups and possibly even drag and circle track racing topics.  And, if we are lucky, a few kits of all-new, current auto industry subjects as well.  As usual with these sore of prognostications, only time will tell for sure. .  

TIM 

Thanks for replying.   When I wrote my post, I was thinking of YOU as the one to go to the execs with our requests.  LOL.  Just didn't want to vocalize it.

Interesting what you said about sales bombs.   The Edsel is just not going to sell no matter what form it is in, apparently.   I did do a kit.  I do have a diecast.  But I like oddball things.  

Also about sales bombs - I thought it intesting in the recent Ollies posts that the 48 Ford Police car and 66 Suburban were pictured.   I did not buy those when released and was hoping to get them, but was too late.  I'm sure they'll be on ebay soon... for twice original retail.   

I wonder how they determine the next new subject.   IO mean it's not like we are all on here clamoring for a new 71 Mustang.   I will be glad to see it, but saw that others won't be so excited.  I'd be happy with a reiisue of hte Mustang II.  No real need for a new detail kit I don't think, but maybe a modified reissue.  And a Dyno Don or Gapp & Roush Ford to line up with the Grumpy's toy.  

I'm way off topic now - maybe this will spin off to a new topic and go somewhere.   

Now bring on the teddy bear wheels and proper Mustang kit.  Go on ahead with a couple wheel options (teddy bearas and hubcaps), auto and manual trans, 2 engines, small and big.  Multiple stripe options (mach1 [mainstream] for sure).  Not in separate releases.  A guy can dream, right?

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date