Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Boss 351 Mustang

11 minutes ago, alexis said:

I think we will see it Bob. Just not on the original timetable. The VC firm who owns Revell now, does not seem like the kind of folks to squander all the effort that has already been invested in the kit. It will show up someday.

Maybe, as life gets back into it's normal pace, they will show something at some future NNL type of show.

31 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I am beginning to think that this Revell 1971 Mustang is dead. Revell hasn't leaked one piece of information for a very long time and then Round2 announced their own.

It's only been 1 1/2 years since this thread was started when photos of the 3d scan in progress were shared. And due to the fact that those pics were pulled down within 24 hours by Revell points to it having been shared before the company intended to announce it. Normally when they announce a project they are much further along than that point in the design process, so that's why it feels like longer than normal. Throw in a global pandemic and that will certainly slow things down. 

I'm pretty sure James Duff and/or Tim Boyd  gave a brief update on this last year after speaking to Revell and it is definitely still coming. @tim boyd @niteowl7710

36 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

It's only been 1 1/2 years since this thread was started when photos of the 3d scan in progress were shared. And due to the fact that those pics were pulled down within 24 hours by Revell points to it having been shared before the company intended to announce it. Normally when they announce a project they are much further along than that point in the design process, so that's why it feels like longer than normal. Throw in a global pandemic and that will certainly slow things down. 

I'm pretty sure James Duff and/or Tim Boyd  gave a brief update on this last year after speaking to Revell and it is definitely still coming. @tim boyd @niteowl7710

The news in Vegas was that it was still in design phase and that they were researching specific bits to make sure they had them correct - I got the drift it was for the later versions, since they obviously 3D scanned a real one.  The pictures about the 3D scanning were indeed accidentally released, which leads to the "it's been too long, it must be cancelled" effect, but I was assured the kit was still coming it just wasn't nearly as far along as "announcing it publicly on FB" that wound up happening by accident.

I was hoping to see Ed again at NNL East, but since that got cancelled (for whatever reason, clearly the NJ IPMS is still going on with their show at the same venue 2 weeks earlier in April), I believe Revell went to the Indy IPMS Roscoe Turner show last year, and the next time I expect to see any of these guys in person with all their test shots and whatnot is in July at the IPMS Nats in Omaha as Atlantis, Revell & TamiyaUSA are already all on the vendor/industry list.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The news in Vegas was that it was still in design phase and that they were researching specific bits to make sure they had them correct - I got the drift it was for the later versions, since they obviously 3D scanned a real one.  The pictures about the 3D scanning were indeed accidentally released, which leads to the "it's been too long, it must be cancelled" effect, but I was assured the kit was still coming it just wasn't nearly as far along as "announcing it publicly on FB" that wound up happening by accident.

I was hoping to see Ed again at NNL East, but since that got cancelled (for whatever reason, clearly the NJ IPMS is still going on with their show at the same venue 2 weeks earlier in April), I believe Revell went to the Indy IPMS Roscoe Turner show last year, and the next time I expect to see any of these guys in person with all their test shots and whatnot is in July at the IPMS Nats in Omaha as Atlantis, Revell & TamiyaUSA are already all on the vendor/industry list.

My understanding about the project status is the same as James' comments above, though I have not discussed it recently with Ed or the Revell team....TB 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 1:09 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

With the price of materials being what they are right now, expect it to retail at $49.99 by October. 

Not insider information - just a little prediction.

Looks like we may be financing kits in a few years…

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Anyone updates on the Boss 351 kit?  I would think there would be some test shots by now.

I would be glad to be one of the first to review one. 😉

AFA569C0-3799-4351-892A-57CFA3B4DD6C.jpeg

I'm right beside you vamach1; anxiously waiting for some test shots or update news on this upcoming new kit!

On 3/23/2022 at 2:09 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

With the price of materials being what they are right now, expect it to retail at $49.99 by October. 

Not insider information - just a little prediction.

$49.95 will be the kiss of death for model car kits. It would have to be the only model kit you want to buy. Our company raised our prices and we now have zero orders.

It is a 2 pronged Trap.

Customer Demand on one side. Rising Input Costs on the other. At a certain point, when the two meet, sales collapse. The Hobby Companies can point to costs, all they want. Sometime soon, kit prices will be too high to justify casual, Spur-of-the-Moment purchases, (at least for many).

But, we have been saying thing when kit prices broke the $10.00 & $20.00 barrier too, so I could be wrong.

• Like 2

I don't want to seem like another old man shouting at clouds, but this kit does not mean $46.95 to me. If Revell does a nice job on the '71 Mustang, I will buy one at that $50 price point. If it has glaring errors, I will buy zero. At 62, I have more than enough in the stash to last me until i turn 160 or so.

image.png.cd8eb439e7f22585ca4c65ea167cb51d.png

• Like 3

Comparing tomatoes to grapes here: That ~$46 price tag for a 1971 Mach I of all-new tooling is still less expensive than a comparable resin kit... same with the 1968 Coronet. 
You simply can't beat a styrene kit -- better than resin in every manner. 

With that being said: I am exhibiting immense self-restraint insofar as chiming in on the "Why-make-'x'-in-China-when-the-price-isn't-cheaper" topic. Suffice it to say, that's something I was griping about before that Titan Arum started to bloom.

11 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

...insofar as chiming in on the "Why-make-'x'-in-China-when-the-price-isn't-cheaper" topic. Suffice it to say, that's something I was griping about before that Titan Arum started to bloom.

I myself have wondered about that for decades. Why do we send our equipment and parts there for substandard labor, copyright infringement, tech theft and confiscation. The bitter pill is the final retail price isn't any cheaper. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rodent said:

I don't want to seem like another old man shouting at clouds, but this kit does not mean $46.95 to me. If Revell does a nice job on the '71 Mustang, I will buy one at that $50 price point. If it has glaring errors, I will buy zero. At 62, I have more than enough in the stash to last me until i turn 160 or so.

image.png.cd8eb439e7f22585ca4c65ea167cb51d.png

Yeah I am hoping they can bring us a kit that doesn’t have any body flaws with the technology today, especially as you said at the prices they are commanding today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Yeah I am hoping they can bring us a kit that doesn’t have any body flaws with the technology today, especially as you said at the prices they are commanding today.

Well the first pics released by mistake IIRC, showed the subject matter being scanned.

...and those mistakenly released pics were quite educational to me and also gave me a strong hope for an exceptionally accurate kit to come inside the new box... at whatever that retail price ends up being, I will be thankful if my hope is fulfilled!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RDean58 said:

Just thinking here, the RETAIL price may not come down, but what about MANUFACTURING costs?

Someone explain how this seller can sell kits and make money at this price?  WIth 40% off I would be lucky to find one at HL at a lower cost.  Anyway, the Revell kit should be worth the higher price but If I buy several I’d like to not break the bank by paying the MSRP.

6132BF26-A808-4DAD-9DBF-69B572EEA10E.jpeg

26 minutes ago, vamach1 said:

Someone explain how this seller can sell kits and make money at this price?  WIth 40% off I would be lucky to find one at HL at a lower cost.  Anyway, the Revell kit should be worth the higher price but If I buy several I’d like to not break the bank by paying the MSRP.

6132BF26-A808-4DAD-9DBF-69B572EEA10E.jpeg

If he's a private seller, maybe he's trying to clean out his stash?

• 69NovaYenko changed the title to Revell `71 Mustang 351 Release date