Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby

Well, if the shelves are picked clean, then when they are restocked there will be a few different items.

The two stores here both had the Modified Stocker hauler set (at $40.99) and sold me one of those.  Last Monday they had the Monogram ex-Badman '55 Chevy, and sold me that one also.

22 hours ago, slusher said:

My HL was picked clean like raided by Jackals raided it..

I checked my local store in the week, and same thing; mostly empty spots and some of the standard ‘shelf warmers’ - only new thing I saw was the new race hauler set and the Celica, but neither followed me home…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Empty model shelves are, in the long run, a good thing!!!  Means HL has to put in big orders with manufactures, maybe some new SKU etc. 

Agreed!  At our local store they reduced the area for the car kits a little to make room for some robot kits, whatever they’re called…but they still had plenty of stock of those and a LOT of empty spots in their automotive line-up

On 12/25/2022 at 7:22 AM, Dave Van said:

Empty model shelves are, in the long run, a good thing!!!  Means HL has to put in big orders with manufactures, maybe some new SKU etc. 

Probably restocking on the same old usual stock again. I have no faith of HL ever stocking shelves of a completely new line up of model car kits.

On 12/25/2022 at 7:22 AM, Dave Van said:

Empty model shelves are, in the long run, a good thing!!!  

I see the shelves full one week and empty the next. It means that even though I don’t know a single car modeler in my town, SOMEONE is buying all those kits!  And that’s good for the hobby 

• Like 2

The new inventory that is showing up has the new pricing. Locally the stores I checked still had some models offered at the old $29.99 price and with the 40% off I'm buying the ones that are either something I'll build or contain parts I would like to have for parts doners.  

• Like 1

Found Out we have a guy here in town, going to HL and buying everything in stock and then re-listing it of Facebook Marketplace,  Offer-up and Craigslist.

He is cleaning out the shelves at 40% off, and then trying to sell it all himself at higher prices. I  know, Buy Lo, & Sell HI, This is not good. Worse, I thought he was a friend. Now, I find out he is doing this. Being a Pro-active Go-Getter? Fine. Buying out all of HL's kits to try to make money? Not Cool. 

WE will see what happens when the 40% off sales go back to every other week.

• Sad 3

27 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Found Out we have a guy here in town, going to HL and buying everything in stock and then re-listing it of Facebook Marketplace,  Offer-up and Craigslist.

He is cleaning out the shelves at 40% off, and then trying to sell it all himself at higher prices. I  know, Buy Lo, & Sell HI, This is not good. Worse, I thought he was a friend. Now, I find out he is doing this. Being a Pro-active Go-Getter? Fine. Buying out all of HL's kits to try to make money? Not Cool. 

WE will see what happens when the 40% off sales go back to every other week.

Sounds like a great business plan. I have yet to buy kits from those three listed places, I tend to spend either on eBay, FB model pages, internet hobby shops or in person swap meets.

You'd think he would be better off setting up an account with a hobby distributor but what do I know?

I ran over there this morning to get a couple of Testors paint pens but they didn't have any. Saw a brand I never heard of and some Gundam ones that were $10. No to both of them.

Surprised to see the model shelves were fairly well stocked but they were the same models I've seen for the last couple of years.

45 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I ran over there this morning to get a couple of Testors paint pens but they didn't have any. Saw a brand I never heard of and some Gundam ones that were $10. No to both of them.

Surprised to see the model shelves were fairly well stocked but they were the same models I've seen for the last couple of years.

The Gundam chrome pen works great if you're needing to do some touch up or chrome detailing. 

4 hours ago, TECHMAN said:

Went into the H.L. at Bowling Green yesterday and was gasping for air at the "new" prices......    A bunch of the "less than $30" kits, were now more in the range of $33 to 39.....  Even with the 40% off, not so much of a bargain!!!!!

DJ

Not really a HL issue. A wholesale sight for dealers is showing 2023 kits MSRP in the $40-50 range for regular kits. Hobby biz must be doing OK if they can charge thus and stik=ll sell kits. 

5 hours ago, TECHMAN said:

Went into the H.L. at Bowling Green yesterday and was gasping for air at the "new" prices......    A bunch of the "less than $30" kits, were now more in the range of $33 to 39.....  Even with the 40% off, not so much of a bargain!!!!!

DJ

That's pretty standard now, same with online retailers..most Round 2 and Revell releases are $32-$35 or more..