Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Schwinn Stingray....


Recommended Posts

Decided to do something a little different and give myself a little break from the cars. Picked up this model at a model car show last November and thought it was a good idea to build it. First thing I did was to replace the ugly and way out of scale spokes on this thing. I used guitar string for this. I also decided not to use the ugly and also way out of scale brake, transmission and tachometer lines. Didn't have any orange color in my stash of paints so I just went ahead and mixed my own. Kind of a finicky kit but with a little patience, I think it turns out pretty decent....

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s7.jpg

s9.jpg

s11.jpg

s12.jpg

s13.jpg

s14.jpg

s15.jpg

s16.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks awesome Cruz!!   Very close paint match to my original '68 1:1. Now that you've set the standard...gonna have to upgrade my rims & cables when I get to recreating mine. Beautiful Sir!  ....absolutely Beautiful! !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow!  That is impressive.  Mike Fifer on the forum also built that kit recently.  He built it box stock, but you sure took it to the next level!

Could you explain in more detail how you replaced the spokes?  Also, what did you use for the spoke nipples?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, peteski said:

Wow!  That is impressive.  Mike Fifer on the forum also built that kit recently.  He built it box stock, but you sure took it to the next level!

Could you explain in more detail how you replaced the spokes?  Also, what did you use for the spoke nipples?

 

Thank you, I used guitar string for the spokes, cut a pair at a time and replaced them with the string. I used hypodermic needles cut to lenght for the nipples. A little tedious but the results are pretty unique.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, cruz said:

Thank you, I used guitar string for the spokes, cut a pair at a time and replaced them with the string. I used hypodermic needles cut to lenght for the nipples. A little tedious but the results are pretty unique.....

That's what I suspected - thanks for the confirmation.  I broke down and just ordered this kit.  I really like to build it just like you did, but going by my past history, it will just be added to the pile of hundreds of unbuilt kits in their boxes waiting their turn on my workbench. It's an addiction!

After cutting off the plastic spokes what did you touch up the chrome rim and hubs?  Molotow chrome pen?  Whatever you uses, it looks perfect in the photos.

And if you ever look for a good source of hypodermic tubing, I recommend http://www.componentsupplycompany.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, peteski said:

That's what I suspected - thanks for the confirmation.  I broke down and just ordered this kit.  I really like to build it just like you did, but going by my past history, it will just be added to the pile of hundreds of unbuilt kits in their boxes waiting their turn on my workbench. It's an addiction!

After cutting off the plastic spokes what did you touch up the chrome rim and hubs?  Molotow chrome pen?  Whatever you uses, it looks perfect in the photos.

And if you ever look for a good source of hypodermic tubing, I recommend http://www.componentsupplycompany.com/

Thank you my friend, yes, I just touched up the bare plastic with the Molotow marker. Thank you for the link, I use hypodermic needles for a lot of things, these are always very useful...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cruz said:

Thank you my friend, yes, I just touched up the bare plastic with the Molotow marker. Thank you for the link, I use hypodermic needles for a lot of things, these are always very useful...

Thanks Marcos, and you're welcome. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RancheroSteve said:

Best looking one I've seen yet! I'm hoping to make some similar improvements when I build mine.

How do you cut the hypodermic needles without crushing them? 

Thanks, I use a Dremel disc, cut it at a certain depth and just twist it off. I will smooth out the end with the flat area of the disc itself.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2020 at 1:46 PM, Khils said:

That looks awesome Cruz!!   Very close paint match to my original '68 1:1. Now that you've set the standard...gonna have to upgrade my rims & cables when I get to recreating mine. Beautiful Sir!  ....absolutely Beautiful! !

Wowser ! TY for sharing . Outstanding !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the best build of this kit I have seen so far.  I have one of these in the pile,  have to find something suitable for cable housings.   I remember when these bikes came out in the late 60s.   I wanted the white Cotton Picker, but couldn't swing the $110 price tag.   There was an Orange Krate at a local bike shop a month or so ago,  minus the front fender,  they wanted $3500 for it.  Crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice!

I'm really pumped, because I got this one for Christmas myself! I remember friend of mine riding his much older brother's old Krate when I was younger, back in the early '80s. 

I love the spokes... I don't have the guts to tackle that, but you, sir, have done a marvellous job! Good on you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...