Model Cars Magazine Forum

1996 Mystichrome Cobra

vamach1

So here is a one of one 1996 Cobra painted with Testors Color shift paint to emulate the Mystichrome paint used on 1996 on the Cobra coupes.  Only after I painted the body did I realize Ford did not produce the Cobra convertible that year with the special paint.  A shout out to David Rutland for sending the radiator hoses which I somehow lost during the build that started before Covid.  One hose was for the 99 Maroon coupe I built about 20 years ago and while comparing it to the 1996 I noticed the lower hose was also missing.  Thanks for looking and appreciate any comments or suggestions or pictures of your Cobra Mustangs.  I sure wish someone would have made a 2003-2004 plastic model Mustang Cobra but I bought a 2003 1:1 red fire one a year ago anyway.

228AE01E-8853-4871-B427-28159B230CCD.jpeg

4EF3C949-683B-4BE4-9129-3A4BDB61009A.jpeg

9D63F31F-0F92-49A7-BD96-2C454D1C55FC.jpeg

17C36A0F-7974-4907-B353-076D29AF101E.jpeg

5B62EC8B-A52B-4924-9C16-5C0119506B26.jpeg

A82BF52A-AA86-4073-B575-570882361A2D.jpeg

4E556EBB-A710-4861-A283-BE664EB563A5.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

23 hours ago, Zen said:

Well done! Love the real 03 also!

15 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Looks great!

22 hours ago, michelle said:

nice work 

22 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Rex...really like the paint. Much of the artistry in  modeling is in the paint. You did well.

22 hours ago, catpack68 said:

Nice work! I like your 03 Red Fire Cobra.I have a coworker who has a 03 Sonic Blue Cobra.

23 hours ago, cobraman said:

Model looks great. I had a 2004 Mustang GT in That Redfire red.

Thanks Everyone.  It was nice to finally finish something.

Nice job, but you err when you say that there wasn't any verts made in this color.  While Ford didn't do one, Saleen produced a couple of verts to promote the paint scheme through BASF.  In fact I reproduced that car a number of years ago with the Revell Saleen "Speedster" kit and touch up paint (wasn't cheap). 

45 minutes ago, baycolony said:

Nice job, but you err when you say that there wasn't any verts made in this color.  While Ford didn't do one, Saleen produced a couple of verts to promote the paint scheme through BASF.  In fact I reproduced that car a number of years ago with the Revell Saleen "Speedster" kit and touch up paint (wasn't cheap). 

That 1996 Saleen mystic convertible would be rare indeed.  I found some stats for 1996 for the non-Saleens that show only Mystic coupes but maybe you’re right because if you add up the convertible numbers by color it is one short of the total of 2,510.  Do you have any pictures of your model?  I love the colorshift Blue Galaxy colorshift paint.  I remember seeing that one and only 2004 Mystic Saleen Cobra convertible at Carlisle PA Ford show that had a sign that said it was one of one.  According to the Saleen Cobra stats that was the only convertible made in Mystichrome from 1996-2004 but they do list a rainbow convertible for 1997.

AF2553D7-0B85-4B62-9F54-97747309A03B.jpeg

E4171E9C-DB91-4D08-A5C1-85D2A9BB8924.jpeg

36506974-8273-4FEE-A2ED-2FFD7F2E4E05.jpeg

5276A086-6C55-444E-B5E9-FD42E5762230.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

Well,

Here is a link to the Saleen.  Yes, there was one made.  Interestingly, I received a comment on my Fotki page from the owner of the actual Saleen Mystic car.  I will paste it here.  He provided some interesting information and even offered to purchase my model.  I also created a 2004 "terminator" mustang from the Cobra kit and I will provide that link also. BTW, the colors of the 96 Cobras was called Mystic and had more of a green/purple hue whereas the 04 Cars were painted in Mystichrome which had more of a blueish hue.  Two totally different colors.

Saleen:  Gil;  https://public.fotki.com/GilCosta/model_cars_80s_to/ford_cars/1996-ford-mustang-m/

Terminator: https://public.fotki.com/GilCosta/model_cars_80s_to/ford_cars/2004-ford-mustang-svt-mys/

Below is the owner's comment:

I stumbled across this site and read through the Saleen Mystic and SVT Mystic discussion form a year ago. While amusing, I thought I would clear a few things up for you guys as I have owned the 1995 Saleen S351R "BASF Mystic Edition" Speedster, #95-0010 for the past 10 years.

In 1995, BASF owned the car and was making the pitch to Ford to implement the technology on it's upcoming DOHC Cobra. As part of the promotion, they worked with Saleen to create the 1995 Saleen S351R "BASF Mystic Edition" Speedster which would be marketed in conjunction with BASF, Saleen, Ford and Dunlop tires. It was unveiled in that years SEMA and NACE shows. It is the first and only car painted with the true Mystic color as conceived by BASF. Some call it Extreme Mystic, some call it Saleen Mystic. We just settled on Extreme Saleen Mystic.

Anyway, they used the car as a rolling billboard to test the publics reaction to Mystic as BASF was pitching the idea to Ford for their new DOHC Cobra. . It went all over the USA and Canada, then given away in a BASF "Horse of a Different Color" sweepstakes. During this period in 1995, BASF also painted two other variants of Mystic ( one 1995 convertible and one 1995 coupe) to Ford to get them to bite and reach their price point. It cost $20k on the Saleen for the one off, but Ford could never charge anywhere near that. After reviewing the cars, Ford decided to take the BASF hue from my car and cut it with simple Black paint, simply to paint more cars with the same technology and meet their ultimate price point. It is as simple as that. 

So without disrespect to the SVT employee, he is right and his is wrong. Most people can't remember this far back as it is almost 17 years now. Ford did work directly with BASF on Mystic but it was SVT Mystic, not BASF Mystic, and they are drastically different in the light when side by side. I know as I have seen them side by side with my car. The interesting thing is this is why literature from Ford states 1999 SVT Cobras but 2000 Mystic cars. My car is that one car in that weird number equation. 

Anyway, just thought I would shed a little light on the subject. Without the 1995 Saleen, there is a real chance there would have been no SVT Mystic Cobras.

Thanks
Rick

PS If you ever want to sell the 1995 Saleen S351 Mystic Model, I would sure like to buy it from you.  
Edited by baycolony

22 hours ago, baycolony said:

Well,

Here is a link to the Saleen.  Yes, there was one made.  Interestingly, I received a comment on my Fotki page from the owner of the actual Saleen Mystic car.  I will paste it here.  He provided some interesting information and even offered to purchase my model.  I also created a 2004 "terminator" mustang from the Cobra kit and I will provide that link also. BTW, the colors of the 96 Cobras was called Mystic and had more of a green/purple hue whereas the 04 Cars were painted in Mystichrome which had more of a blueish hue.  Two totally different colors.

Saleen:  Gil;  https://public.fotki.com/GilCosta/model_cars_80s_to/ford_cars/1996-ford-mustang-m/

Terminator: https://public.fotki.com/GilCosta/model_cars_80s_to/ford_cars/2004-ford-mustang-svt-mys/

Below is the owner's comment:

I stumbled across this site and read through the Saleen Mystic and SVT Mystic discussion form a year ago. While amusing, I thought I would clear a few things up for you guys as I have owned the 1995 Saleen S351R "BASF Mystic Edition" Speedster, #95-0010 for the past 10 years.

In 1995, BASF owned the car and was making the pitch to Ford to implement the technology on it's upcoming DOHC Cobra. As part of the promotion, they worked with Saleen to create the 1995 Saleen S351R "BASF Mystic Edition" Speedster which would be marketed in conjunction with BASF, Saleen, Ford and Dunlop tires. It was unveiled in that years SEMA and NACE shows. It is the first and only car painted with the true Mystic color as conceived by BASF. Some call it Extreme Mystic, some call it Saleen Mystic. We just settled on Extreme Saleen Mystic.

Anyway, they used the car as a rolling billboard to test the publics reaction to Mystic as BASF was pitching the idea to Ford for their new DOHC Cobra. . It went all over the USA and Canada, then given away in a BASF "Horse of a Different Color" sweepstakes. During this period in 1995, BASF also painted two other variants of Mystic ( one 1995 convertible and one 1995 coupe) to Ford to get them to bite and reach their price point. It cost $20k on the Saleen for the one off, but Ford could never charge anywhere near that. After reviewing the cars, Ford decided to take the BASF hue from my car and cut it with simple Black paint, simply to paint more cars with the same technology and meet their ultimate price point. It is as simple as that. 

So without disrespect to the SVT employee, he is right and his is wrong. Most people can't remember this far back as it is almost 17 years now. Ford did work directly with BASF on Mystic but it was SVT Mystic, not BASF Mystic, and they are drastically different in the light when side by side. I know as I have seen them side by side with my car. The interesting thing is this is why literature from Ford states 1999 SVT Cobras but 2000 Mystic cars. My car is that one car in that weird number equation. 

Anyway, just thought I would shed a little light on the subject. Without the 1995 Saleen, there is a real chance there would have been no SVT Mystic Cobras.

Thanks
Rick

PS If you ever want to sell the 1995 Saleen S351 Mystic Model, I would sure like to buy it from you.  

Thanks for backstory - very interesting.  I cannot say I am surprised in that there always seems to one or two cars out there that were production based but were used for promotional purposes that end up being produced a year or two later.

The models your built as seen on the Fotki page are outstanding.  I just just hoping to build a decent out of the box kit in an unusual color. 😁

If you do not mind I added one of the pictures of your build here plus a picture I took at Carlisle in 2019 of the 2004 convertible.

6424AC1D-CC1E-42AC-B65E-B948E0FBDC44.jpeg

C34D888B-8F0E-4AB7-855E-3CCD1FDFBA74.jpeg

Edited by vamach1

Thanks.  No problem with the picture.  The 2004 I built took alot of scratchbuilding, mostly with epoxy putty, to convert it from the 1998 cobra.  It is probably the only "terminator" mustang in 1/25 scale.  I was in the market to purchase one of the 2004 Mystichrome cars a while back.  The prices are in the 40k range for low mileage cars.  I think those will be money makers.  I ended up buying a 2013 Shelby Gt500, go figure...lol.

All very interesting....but I do not recall any sort of the Saleen/Ford linkage regarding the Mystic paint as described above, not at all.

Timing wise, I started in the SVT Team Leader job in March of 1995 and the Mystic Cobra had already been in the plans at that point (in other words, it had become agreed with BASF prior to my arrival on the job).   Further, in the backgrounders for the media reveals there was no mention of a role of Saleen being involved in the planning between Ford and BASF.  Again, as pointed out above, this took place 26 years ago and memories are not always reliable (mine as well), but add this to the other info above and form your own opinions....TIM 

PS - Rex, your '96 SVT Mystic Cobra rocks!  Cheers...TB

Edited by tim boyd